The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Whitetail99

Is the lee classic loader a good starter loader?

Never reloaded in my life... Ammo ain't cheap so there ya go. Would the lee classic loader work to start with? I know the accuracy record was held for awhile by a load out of it so...
Old August 2, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2
mohr308

My first press and only press is the lee challenger breech lock. I love it, the only draw back is having to buy lock bushings for it which make the cost of your die sets an extra $10, but it's really nice when you want to swap out! If I were to buy another press today, I would buy the same one. Midway has is having a sale on the kit for that press. I wish I could have bought all this stuff for that price!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121...tage-press-kit

here are the bushings, O would buy a set for each die set +1 extra!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219...r-package-of-2

Last edited by mohr308; August 2, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old August 2, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Whitetail99

Cool... But I'm talking about the classic loader. The "wack-a-mole" set. It costs like $20 plus Materials obviously. I was just wondering what I need to make it more complete. Like scales or what ever.
Old August 2, 2012, 01:23 AM   #4
mohr308

I started with the classic also, for my .308. a scale, case trimmer, deburring tool, funnel, calipers…. I can't think of everything at this moment. But you will soon realize that the cost of a kit like the one above will pay off in 1 year if you shoot a lot. What are you reloading for? Bolt action, single shot, semi auto?
Old August 2, 2012, 02:29 AM   #5
warnerwh

Get on Craig's list and you can find used single stage presses for cheap. The old RCBS junior series are very good presses and can be had for 30 bucks. Those presses are heavy duty and are strong enough to load rifle cartridges. Using a press is so much easier and faster than the little kit. Save yourself some agony and just get a press. The costs of everything else are still the same. If you use a lee auto disk powder measure on a single stage it speeds things up considerably. Just something to keep in mind as you get more money.

Besides dies the next necessity is a scale. You can't load without one, period. Be sure to read and reread a reloading manual. Read here as well. There's a bit to learn but reloading isn't too difficult especially if you are mechanically inclined. You can always depend on getting help here.

You will enjoy reloading besides the fact it saves quite a bit of money.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:43 AM   #6
rebs

Yes he is right any bench press is way better than the classic loader. Lee classic turret is an excellent press.
Old August 2, 2012, 06:21 AM   #7
1stmar

The lee Hand press is better then the classic loader and not a whole lot more. If you don't have room for a bench press or want to minimize initial investment I would get the hand press. I love mine and use it all the time, and I have an rcbs single stage.
Old August 2, 2012, 06:23 AM   #8
ATPBULLETS

Those portable classics are cool....but i would not spend 20 there when you can get a bench mount kit for the sale prices going on for the lee presses...
i bought the challenger last year and could not be happier with it.
and then i started reloading the pistol calibers and now am amazed by the turret press that lee makes...very good product for the price.,,,,mv 02c.

Like this Kit...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000690050

Last edited by ATPBULLETS; August 2, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old August 2, 2012, 06:48 AM   #9
jcwit

The Lee Reloader is a very handy tool to have and loads as accurate ammo as anyone can no matter what the equipment except mayhap for bench rest equipment. L.E. Wilson dies which are popular precision shooting equipment work in the same matter as the Lee Loader.

Many claim the Lee Loader is very slow, I find that not to be the case unless one is comparing it to a progressive press. I reload in batches and can easily load "almost" as fast as using a bench mounted press.

With all that said I do normally use a bench press and would suggest you look closly at a Lee Turrent Press, more money but very good press.
Old August 2, 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
mohr308

One other thing you should consider is noise, the hand loader is much louder than a press. Seeing I live in an apartment and work second shift, a press was necessary, can't hand load with a whack a mole at 2am! I learned that fast
Old August 2, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Is the lee classic loader a good starter loader?
Never reloaded in my life... Ammo ain't cheap so there ya go. Would the lee classic loader work to start with? I know the accuracy record was held for awhile by a load out of it so...
Two different questions there. Is it a good starting loader? No. Would it work to start with? Yes.

The Lee Loader makes sense, if you have severe money and space constraints, and you don't mind something that's inflexible.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
mikld

Absolutely! The Lee Loader is a good tool to learn reloading. My first use of one was in 1969. Using this simple tool you will learn what each step/operation does, how to do it, and why. It isn't fast (although there's a youtube video of Mr. Lee loading a bottle necked rifle round in about 45 seconds), but you get good, safe, accurate ammo from one. Here's a link to an older page about starting "on a shoestring" http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/51 Prices are higher today, but still a way to get involved in reloading. Even if you soon upgrade to a press, your Lee Loader is still usable for short runs or if you don't want to set up your press. I have 5 Lee Loaders, along with three presses, and I still use them when I feel "retro" or just because...
Old August 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #13
jcwit

Quote:
One other thing you should consider is noise, the hand loader is much louder than a press. Seeing I live in an apartment and work second shift, a press was necessary, can't hand load with a whack a mole at 2am! I learned that fast
Well No, not really, depending.

I use a Lee Loader in .223 using a Sinclair Arbor Press. Its used exactly the same way a set of Wilson dies would be used. And there is no noise involved. However this would not be possible with straight walled pistol cases.
Old August 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Whitetail99

I'm reloading for a bolt action 270 wsm thanks for all the info!
Old August 2, 2012, 03:54 PM   #15
jcwit

Quote:
I'm reloading for a bolt action 270 wsm thanks for all the info!
So there you go. The Lee Loader neck sizes only and you have no need to full length resize for a bolt action rifle.

Frankly I'd start with the Lee Loader, in time you may wish to move on to a bench mounted press but the Lee Loader will still be useful for working up loads while at the range.
Old August 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Whitetail99

Ok thanks!
Old August 2, 2012, 10:59 PM   #17
Whitetail99

Ok just to clarify. What do I need to go with the lee classic?
Thanks for baring with me! I've prob. Really got on y'alls nerves asking some really stupid questions.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:05 AM   #18
mohr308

Its better to ask then blow something up because you didn't!
Old August 3, 2012, 03:05 AM   #19
CreamPup

Hey..

Get the hornady. Seriously. I have 2 lee presses. They are okay. If you are serious, get the one that has quality. A hornady is like a Volvo 450. A Lee is like a kia rio. No exaggeration. If you want to avoid alot of frustration, Hornady is the way to go.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
jcwit

Quote:
Ok just to clarify. What do I need to go with the lee classic?
Thanks for baring with me! I've prob. Really got on y'alls nerves asking some really stupid questions.
A manual, Lees, The Lyman or something similar.

Actually not much other than some components! No need to lube the cases, the dipper will work for measuring powder, so you should be pretty well set. Oh Ya! I would be advantagous to get a set of calibers to measure the length of cases and loaded cartridges.

Down the road if you find reloading is something you enjoy I'm sure you'll find the wants and wishes you need.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Whitetail99

Kool and yea I guess I would REALLY suck to get blown up because I didn't ask a question,lol
Old August 3, 2012, 12:32 PM   #22
fishbones182

check out www.fsreloading.com they have by far the cheapest prices on Lee loading equipment and accessories. If the cases were not originally fired from your gun they will need to be full length sized then after firing in your gun you can skip the full length size and just size the necks. When sizing the necks no case lube needed when doing full length sizing lube will be needed or youll get your cases stuck.

Last edited by fishbones182; August 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 02:18 PM   #23
jcwit

Quote:
check out www.fsreloading.com they have by far the cheapest prices on Lee loading equipment and accessories. If the cases were not originally fired from your gun they will need to be full length sized then after firing in your gun you can skip the full length size and just size the necks. When sizing the necks no case lube needed when doing full length sizing lube will be needed or youll get your cases stuck.
If the cases are previously used check to see if they freely chamber in your rifle. If they do, reload them and fireform the cases, no need to full length resize them. If perchance they do not freely chamber in your bolt action rifle then yes they will need to be full length resized.

For a 270 wsm I seriously doubt you will have any problem.
Old August 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #24
jcwit

Just noticed something, where did you find a Lee Loader in 270 WSM caliber? There is a total difference between 270 Winchester and the 270 WSM cartridges.
Old August 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #25
fishbones182

[If the cases are previously used check to see if they freely chamber in your rifle. If they do, reload them and fireform the cases, no need to full length resize them. If perchance they do not freely chamber in your bolt action rifle then yes they will need to be full length resized.]

Learn something new everyday.