The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2008, 06:38 AM   #1
VaFisher

Casting for a 45/70

I have a Uberti long range 45/70 and was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for quality mold set up that can used without sizing and load data suggestions to go with it.
Old June 11, 2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Jim Watson

If it is a Sharps, it was built for Uberti by Pedersoli. There is a bullet designed specifically for the Pedersoli chamber.
http://www.victorymolds.com/

Otherwise, the best bullet mold I have ever seen was a Paul Jones.
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/
For best results, send him a chamber cast; at least tell him what rifle you will be loading for.

Don't want to spend $200 on a mould?

The Lyman Postell 457132, Saeco 745 and 881 are well thought of.
(I can't say for sure, I shoot a .38-55 with the equivalent Lyman mini-Snover.)

These are 500+ grain bullets suitable for Long Range. You can cast and pan lube them, seldom if ever a need to size down.

Black powder is best, done like so:
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/I...%20Loading.pdf

If you want to shoot smokeless, get some Accurate Arms 5744 and their handbook.
Old June 11, 2008, 04:29 PM   #3
VaFisher

Very informative reply, Thanks,
Old June 11, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
HOGGHEAD

Casting

You need to be more specific as to what particular rifle you have. But which rifle you have is really not important at this point in time.

What is important is your bore. Have you slugged the bore?? Which end??

I have seen a lot of variations in bore size, so slugging may or may not be important. Most people just size a 45-70 bullet to .458 and do not even slug their rifle.

You can vary the "drop size" of your bullet with the different alloys(lead mixture) you use, your cooling techniques, and how hot you get your lead(and mold).

If you are tyring to get by on a shoestring budget you can do it. But you can not concern yourself with supreme accuracy. But acceptable accuracy can be obtained with some care. Just buy a good Lyman mold(I prefer the 405 grain pill), and play arond with your alloy a bit if you do not want to buy a sizer. Keep your load below 1600 fps and you should be able to avoid most leading problems with any alloy you use. Tom.
Old June 11, 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
snuffy

Jim, those are some purty molds that Paul Jones is selling. I'd be sorely tempted to get one IF they weren't so heavy. The boolits they make that is.

I have 2 45/70's, one is a H&R calvary springfield trap door. That thing kills on both ends with anything over 300 grains and over 1200 fps!

The other is a H&R buffalo classic with a 28" BBL. While it's heavier, the curved steel butt plate is murder with heavy boolits much over 1600 fps.

I have 2 lee molds, one is the 340 grain FP the other is a 405 grain hollow base. Both produce good boolits, and the H&R BC shoots them well.

Vafisher, both molds I have cast boolits too large to be shot as-cast. I size both to .458, as the bore of the BC is .457. The rifling on the H&R barrels is very shallow as well, so sizing to that diameter is important. I have a Lyman .458 450 sizer and 2 lee sizers .457 and .459. I use 50/50 alox/beeswax in the Lyman and lee liquid alox for the lee sized boolits.

Don't discount the lee line of molds. They work well and if they don't make a boolit your rifle likes, you're not out much cash. I'm anxiously awaiting a group buy mold from www.castboolits.com It's a lee 6 cavity 405 grain plain base.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 12, 2008, 06:37 PM   #6
VaFisher

Thanks again for all the kind replies. I have the Uberti long range version and have not sluged the barrel yet but looks like I need to find out what dia I need to have before ordering a die. I have heard the 405 gr is a good all round wieght to start with and thing thats what I would like to start with when getting started casting.
Old June 12, 2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Well, snuffy, black powder is doing well to get over 1200 fps in any of the standard cartridges, so I don't have to worry about what is going to happen at 1600 fps worth of nitro.

I get good shooting out of a Lyman mould for my little .38-55 but it does not cast as round as a Jones. It drops about .379" which is just about right for my .378" rebore. And I got lucky they did it at a 15" twist that will stabilize that 336 grain bullet, too.
I'm going to run some through a .379" lubrisizer and see what that does.

The guy who got me into BPCR has used a variety of moulds, production and custom, and the Jones is the best of the bunch. Paul Jones will make a mould to order if you don't see just what you want in the purty pichers.