The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 16, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1
ESI Agent

Very Little Security In Security

I've worked in the security industry in Los Angeles for years and very little has changed in regard to the lack of training and education in this field. I thought post 911 would change the industry but sadly things have not. At least in the privite sector. List of issues in this industry.
1. Very few people in this industry know anything about security. Most are just down right lying or faking it.Taking advantage of their client's lack of knowledge.
2.Low state standards. Standards need to be improved and local state academys should be established.Their are too many private training so called schools selling permits to people who have "no" business carrying a firearm. As low as the standards are lot's of people cannot pass the security test or firearms test or shooting test. This floods the industry with warm bodies that keep wages down and gives a false sense of security to client's.
3. Clients donot do their homework. I have seen high priced law firms hire private investigators to do bodyguard work and pay as much as $45 an hour to people who have not had 5 minutes of trainingin this field. This industry is full of frauds and con's.
4. Security companies give no incentive to motivated well trained security agents. I understand it's a business and paying low wages improve profits for owners and CEO's. For most companies any warm body will do as long as you have your permits. I've seen companies go to home depot and hire amigos to do guard work. These companies all talk the talk but in reality it's just the same old con.
How to hire a company: don't assume they are who they are pretending to be, It's called due dillagence. Check on their permits, and give them a security test to determine if they in fact know what they are doing. If they state they have graduated for an academy call the school. Photoshop is a wonderful way to make up false certificates.
Never assume because someone has a permit is competent. I would never hire a armed guard and let him/her carry a firearm unless I know they are really competent and have a solid policy as to when they use deadly force. Remember their are pleanty of business people who will sell anything for a buck.Including firearm permits. The security industry is a business and like all businesses it's about profit and making the sell. Human nature being what it is, people are self serving. It is what it is!
Old October 16, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Hard Ball

Im Afraid That Those Are Unpleasant Fac.ts
Old October 20, 2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Creature

Quote:
give them a security test to determine if they in fact know what they are doing.
Example of a suitable security test?