The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
redrick

Getting Started in Cowboy Action Shooting

I am interested in getting into Cowboy Action Shooting.

Can you recommend some good equipment, make and caliber of firearms, holsters and where you get your clothes online?
Old January 2, 2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Hoss Fly

Go straight to the source
http://www.sassnet.com/index.php
Old January 2, 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Hawg

What Hoss said. I will add this, do not skimp on leather. Cheap leather just isn't worth the hassle especially if you're going to be a competitor. Buy the best you can possibly afford. Good leather will be thick and very stiff and your guns will be a loose fit. Cheap leather will be soft or will get soft and your gun will fit snug making it difficult to draw without either tying it down or using both hands. The lips will eventually fold in making it difficult to reholster. Remember this is a game against the clock. Speed counts.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

Don't bother, it's expensive, time consuming, you stand around all day to shoot for 3 minutes total, and everyone is just a "gamer" out to play the system.
(did I miss anything the detractors usually say?)

Okay, I was being tongue-in-cheek (or at least mostly so, you do wind up standing around an awful lot at bigger matches).

Don't spend a bunch of money until you know the game is for you, go to some matches and watch what happens and then, if you want in, don't scrimp on the leather.

You NEED a gun cart. Lugging the equipment around without one is HORRIBLE!

Captain Baylor has a nice write up on equipment and such
http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Piny Woods has a nice checklist
http://www.pineywoodsplace.com/STUFF/cas_gear.pdf

Last edited by ZeSpectre; January 3, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 2, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Wleoff

I use two Ruger Vaqueros and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy, all in 45 Colt, along with a Stoeger coach gun in 12 gage. I've tried gun sets in 38 Special, 38-40 and 44-40. Gamers usually use 38 Special or even 32. Also tried Winchester 1887 and 1897 shotguns. Colt and Schofield revolvers and a Winchester 1873.

I started in 1994. The Ruger Vaqueros and Marlins are sturdy and can be fast. Go with a TNN coach gun or Stoeger. You'll want sturdy because you'll end up putting thousands of rounds thru the guns. Marlins are easy to clean and Winchesters aren't, though I have four Winchesters. Also you'll have to reload. 38 Special and 45 Colt are easy to reload. That's 15 years of experience.

Just have fun. It's like playing cowboy, plus you'll have an excuse to buy a lot of guns. More when your spouse starts shooting. Go to one of the local shoots shown on the SASS page and you'll be surprised how friendly the people are.

Whip King SASS #9662
Old January 2, 2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Attend as many CAS matches as you can BEFORE you buy anything. See what other folks are using, ask questions, take notes. Many of the participants will undoubtedly offer you their guns and gear to try out. Try as many different kinds as you can. After doing exhaustive research, you will be ready to purchase your first set of guns, gear, and duds.

Have Fun!!!!!!

Oh yeah, one final note. No matter how much research you do, and how many different guns you try, the first set you buy will not be your last.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 3, 2009, 11:07 AM   #7
redrick

I might have to rethink getting into CAS, or hope for a big tax return. Thanks for your help.