The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 22, 2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Don P

Fellow Mosin-Nagant shooters

I have a question for my fellow MN owners and shooters.
I have found a muzzle break for the M44 carbine. Does anyone know of a muzzle break for the M91/30's. For those folks that own M44's and M91/30's could you measure the distance from the front sight base to the muzzle?
I believe that is why the muzzle break for the M44 will not fit the M91/30.
Thanks in advance for any info on this.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:33 AM   #2
TX Hunter

Why would you want to put a muzzle break on an M44 ? It is very loud like it is.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Don P

I guess folks would use a muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise/flip. Folks must want them if they make them for the M44
Old December 22, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
hornetguy

I would think that the M44 would need a brake WAY more than the 91/30 long rifles. Those things tend to thump you when shooting 180-204gr bullets.

I'm sure it would also increase the noise levels, but I imagine most people that see the need for a brake are not as concerned about noise as they are pain management..

I'll have to wait til I get home to measure my M44.. hopefully someone else will be able to do it before this afternoon.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5
LarryNTX

The M44 measures 5/8 of an inch from muzzle to front of the front sight base.
The 91/30 is 1 and 1/16 of an inch. ( Using an Ace Hardware tape measure).
I use a Limb Saver slip-on recoil pad, and don't really notice much of a difference in recoil between the two. The 44 does have more muzzle blast, though.
Old December 22, 2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Don't see a need for one on either. Yes, like most bolt action military rifles the M/N has a good deal of recoil. Learning a proper hold, and concentrating on that fundamental eliminates most of the concern about recoil.
Heck, if it ain't gonna "rock my boat" why not just shoot a rimfire?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 22, 2011, 05:23 PM   #7
amx4080

I'm with Cheapshooter, don't use one. There are also plastic replacement stocks made for some reason that I don't understand. Shoot 'em like they were meant to be shot.

If recoil is a problem, and you want practice to build up to a surplus round, seek out some Czech made 7/62x54r practice ammo. It's awesome stuff, with a great fireball.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:18 PM   #8
MarkDozier

That practice ammo is is odd looking stuff saw and fired it first time last night.
Really fun to shoot. A new MN owner brought it out to the range. Really a lot of fun to shoot. But no fireball at all.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:43 PM   #9
USMCGrunt

I guess I never seen the need for one either. I never found the reccoil of my M38 or M44 all that excessive that a muzzle brake would be needed. However, with 7.62X54R being a cartridge with a slower burning powder, muzzle flash and blast is quite a show out in front of the muzzle. I can only believe that the addition of a muzzle brake would only make this worse. Sort of "creates more problems than it solves" you might say.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Avenger

One of the ones that clamps behind the front sites? Don't bother wasting your money...they end up broken in short order.
Old December 23, 2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Don P

Thats why I started this thread to get others opinions and thanks to all for your input. I'm awaiting my scope that should be here today, the scope mount is already on as well as the bi-pod. I'll post photos when scopes mounted and a range report with regards to the scope and use of the bi-pod.
Old December 23, 2011, 08:53 AM   #12
gandog56

Do NOT get the kind that hook around the front sight and are held on by set screws. I've heard way too many tales of both the brake AND their front sights launching themselves downrange after 2-3 shots.
Old December 23, 2011, 01:58 PM   #13
hornetguy

Quote:
Shoot 'em like they were meant to be shot.
While I agree with the spirit of that post, I also know that the stocks of these rifles were not designed with ease of shooting in mind, they were designed to be very efficient CLUBS for hand to hand combat.

Since I don't plan to have to buttstroke anyone at the range, or in the hunting field, I'd rather change the stock to a more comfortable configuration.

I've shot quite a few .308's and .30-06's and have not minded the recoil at all. It's all in the design of the stock.
Old December 23, 2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Don P

Quote:
It's all in the design of the stock.
Next step may just be a synthetic stock being the 1939 that I am scoping has a crack at the left rear of the receiver
Old December 24, 2011, 06:49 PM   #15
tobnpr

I have a very accurate 91/30 sporter that I'd like to add a brake. Tired of the bipod jumping three inches off target and the time it takes to re-acquire due to the recoil.

I'm probably going to have the muzzle threaded for a 5/8" 24T typical brake (.308 type), but the best option I've seen is King Armory for non-threaded application. You mill a small slot in the end of the barrel which makes sure it doesn't go flying downrange...

I would avoid any "slip-on" or "set screw" versions at all costs. Too dangerous for me...

http://www.kingarmory.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page11.html
Old December 25, 2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Don P

tobnpr, thanks for the link. That is the next project.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:10 PM   #17
jimbob86

91/30 Muzzle brake?

I see no need for adding length to a gun that is already long enough.

Then again, I read about the "punishing" recoil of the Mosin, and was somewhat underwhelmed when I shot mine for the first time...... It is tamer than my .270. I shot 150 gr soft points that clocked at around 2800 f/sec.....
Old December 25, 2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Don P

OK, call me a sissy. Just trying to tame it a bit. I'm delicate.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:20 PM   #19
jimbob86

OK.....

Sissy.

A cheaper and better solution woud be to replace the steel buttplate Intended for buttstroking Nazi invaders and political prisoners ..... with one of those squishy soft ones .....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VPEBH4/...SIN=B003VPEBH4
Old December 25, 2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Don P

I have those on both rifles and got them from tickbitesupply. This coming week will be the first time I get to shoot with the rubber butt pads on the rifles. So I'll see if the brake is needed at all. Thankfully I didn't take in the old kiester too bad on the pads. Only paid $2 more
Old December 25, 2011, 07:53 PM   #21
mrgoodwrench76

I dont recomend going to the synthetic replacement stock I see offered at various places. I tried it on an M44 and it made the felt recoil far worse even with the rubber pad. '

I would assume its due to the synthetic being lighter than the original wood. Lots of push ups seem to help with the recoil more than any brake or recoil pad can.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Don P

What's push ups? I don't need a bra. I do 2oz curls
Old December 25, 2011, 09:00 PM   #23
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What's push ups? I don't need a bra. I do 2oz curls
Sissy....again!

AT least 12oz curls!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 26, 2011, 10:35 AM   #24
Don P

Quote:
Sissy....again!

AT least 12oz curls!!!
I get a better bang for the buck with 2oz of Makers Mark Bourbon than with 12oz Bud, or Miller or your choice of poison
Old December 26, 2011, 11:02 AM   #25
mrgoodwrench76

Do you two seem to shoot better after a couple? Maybe I should try that out next time I get out the dragons.