The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 8, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1
BConklin

latest holster - '58 Remington target crossdraw

Just finished this one last night. I made it from my own pattern for my Uberti target model 1858 Remington with 8" barrel. It's 8 oz - lined with calfskin and hand stitched throughout - no rivets.

I like the effects I'm getting with the contrasting edges but I admit it looks better in person than it does in these photos. Without that mirror sheen you get from the dark leather behind the gloss it looks as if it's been dented and chopped up - when in fact it's quite smooth - but the color is mottled as it's just the raw leather.

I also like the color I got mixing tan and oxblood on the outside - and contrasting it with the diluted tan of the liner. I'm not crazy, however, about the single line of stitches in the back to hold the hammer strap - it looks like a repair or something. My reasoning behind it was that I didn't want a larger piece of leather inside the holster which might interfere with the gun coming out or going back in. Next time I think I'll make the hidden end of the strap into a paddle shape.

I'd appreciate feedback from those who have more experience with holsters - whether making them, or just carrying them in the field.

Old February 8, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2
BConklin

Old February 8, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
AirForceShooter

NICE !!!!!

Really, really nice

AFS
Old February 8, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Erich

Quote:
it looks better in person than it does in these photos
That looks really nice - even in the pictures.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
rdstrain49

Just curious, why did you select calf skin for lining? Very nice job. As you found (I'm certain) there is a lot more involved in making a nice holster (like the one you made) than anyone who has not been there done that could begin to imagine. Once again, nicely done.
Old February 8, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6
BConklin

Thanks all!

rd - a couple of reasons - first and foremost, I liked the look and feel of the piece of calfskin I bought..it's like silk. Second, it seemed like the right thickness to pair with the 8 ounce cowhide I had. Third - it's veg tanned, like the cowhide.
Old February 8, 2011, 08:33 PM   #7
rdstrain49

OK, that makes sense. If you ever get a chance give pig skin a try. It's a bit of a pain to work with, but grips the weapon very well and wears like iron, also is easy on the finish. If I remember, I post a pic of what happens during long winters in the "Hills". Keep up the nice work.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:41 AM   #8
rdstrain49

BC;

As you can see, there isn't much else to do here in the Hills, especially when the temp is 15-20 degrees below zero and colder. It got cold here about two week ago, and this is the result.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
junkman_01

You fellows do really nice work. I am envious!
Old February 9, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
BConklin

niiiiiice!

I just popped a concealed carry holster for a mod. 1935 Beretta in the oven after wet forming it. Cute little thing - fits right in the small of my back. It's my first piece that will depend on the leather to grip the gun without any straps ...we'll see how it turns out.

pigskin grips the gun well, eh? thanks for the tip. With the hunter holsters I've made so far that hasn't been a concern
Old February 10, 2011, 06:26 PM   #11
sewerman

very nice.

i didn't think leather work was difficult until i made the belt ends for a 3" wide jute cartridge belt for 32, 45/70 rounds,

luckly my friend next door is into leather & he had all those nice stitch markers & punches plus a stitching poney. i decided to use it after stabbing my finger and hands a few times.

your holster is excellent, to nice for the worn trail look my friend & i needed for our historial persona.

my friend made four holsters also the same lines but more contoured along the bottom /load leverl side without the border stitching.

he traced the gun out real close. cut, sewed it, then wrapped the gun in plastic food wrap wet the leather then pushed the gun into the wet sewn holster.
after a week of drying and alittle oil it works real nice.

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!

Last edited by sewerman; February 10, 2011 at 08:50 PM.