The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Liquor

Noob: Lee Anniversary Kit

Hi;

I'm a noobie to relaoding, I just got a Lee Anniversary kit with the challenger press for my B-day. Anyone use this setup and any setup/tweak tips to make sure it's setup properly? I'll be reloading 7mm rem Mag for now.

Thanks,
Liquor
Old April 27, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Randy_che

OK, here's a tip. Make a little box out of cardboard to put inside the existing "primer catch box". An ammo box or cereal box works well for the cardboard. It will be taller on the right side than the left. Work with the shape until it is a good fit and it catches well. When you get it right, it catches almost all the primers and is much easier to empty.

If your ball handle comes off, drill a small hole through the top of the ball for a vent, then use JB weld to glue the ball back on. If you don't drill the hole, it will be very hard to get the ball on there because you will be making an air compressor piston.

That was 2 tips.
Old April 28, 2007, 08:24 AM   #3
MakarovFan

I recently got the same press kit as a second setup since I can't find shell holders anymore for my old press.

I like the idea by Randy che, I will have to do that myself.
I have been just using the shop vac in my workshop, that was going to be my tip.

I would double check the weight scale from time to time, mine seems to come off zero from time to time.
Old April 28, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
KW-Bane

Because of Lee's powder dispensor: check and weight the powder drops often...it may drop a few with more or less powder. It varies with diff powders, some more consistant than others. Flake powder has alittle more trouble being consistant than round or ball powders.

W231 is a good powder, but has a sneaky way of working itself into the mechanics of the powder dispensor making it alittle stiff.

Remember to use good safety habits!

Try to be consistant every time you reload, as to make all the ammo the same.

Start out with loading just a box of rnds (50 or so), shoot them to chk accuracy etc. This works on more than 1 level...it may help you in case you forget something and have to pull all the bullets.
Old April 28, 2007, 05:57 PM   #5
CrustyFN

If the wooden ball comes off the handle I would replace it with something different.
Rusty
Old April 29, 2007, 09:20 AM   #6
tstone

Run a least a full hopper through the powder measure before using it to actually reload ammo. This coats the innerds with graphite, and seems to help with static and consistency. KW is dead on about the flake powder.