The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Aardvark

My personal favorites

I am not one into a lot of overkill or ultra-magnums. I prefer the rounds that, simply put, get the job done.
I have three favorite rounds for rifle that I prefer, those being the 6.5x55, the .280 Remington, and the 8x57 Mauser.
If you notice, I covered thre calbers, 6.5mm,7mm, and 8mm. For where and what I hunt, these are all I will ever need.
I do load my own and get to play with lots of different bullet weights and velocities, as I frequent the range to put little holes in paper when I can.
I hunt in south Texas for Whitetail and Ferol hogs.
Old November 12, 2004, 08:25 PM   #2
LAH

Nothing wrong with those choices. At one time I used a .22-250 & .30-06. Had no use for anything else. Now days I shoot mostly .30-30 and .45-70.
Old November 12, 2004, 10:17 PM   #3
griz

I always wondered how hunters a hundred years ago managed to kill deer without a 30 cal round that was as big as a banana. Maybe the 30-30 they had was enough?

I'm partial to the mid range rounds myself. They are user friendly, don't require expensive high-tech bullets, and work fine out to ranges where you should think hard about shooting anything.
Old November 16, 2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Shep Madera

old reliables

Thanks, Aardvark, for bringing my attention to that excellent Ballistics page, simplest and most straight-foward I've seen yet.

I agree, and it amuses me to see these old-timers making new friends and secure in their renewed popularity. Being a traditionalist in most things, I welcome folks joining the ranks, resisting being pandered and stampeded into buying the latest hoopla. I watch the classifieds in our Sunday paper and just about every week, there's a .30-378, a magnum this or that, ultra whatever being advertised with a "half box of shells". Someone got sold on what my cousin calls "too much horsepower" and is calling it quits. Shep