The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Hawg

Pedersoli Shotgun

I got a deal on a used Pedersoli 12 gauge. Haven't shot it yet tho.

Old December 15, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Captainkirk

Nice, Hawg! You were due for another gun!
Old December 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Hawg

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Does it use choke tubes? Otherwise pretty nice condition it appears to be in. Have you tinkered with B/P shotguns before Hawg? (I'll bet it'll be fun.) Congrats Sir. Nice purchase.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Hawg

No choke tubes. Yeah I've got an original Ancion muzzle loader made around 1850 and several SXS's and an original 87 Winchester I load bp for.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hawg....That is a sweet blunderbuss

I do agree that only five other CAS shotguns is not nearly enough. You were due another one.

Congrats on the find.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Hawg

Thanks Doc but muzzle loading long guns really don't cut it with CAS. Without the two muzzle loaders I still have seven that could be used for CAS. Five SXS's, an 87 Wincheter and a repro 97 Winchester.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Hawg...

That is a shame.

You really are deprived.

. . . . .

In the serious side, the condition of the latest addition looks good and it is a nice looking piece.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
You really are deprived.
I am Doc, I really am. It is a nice piece. It was made in 79 and has been taken good care of. It's been used tho. It wasn't a safe queen. It has some scratches in the wood and a few very tiny pits at the breech that I can't see even with glasses. It just looks like a few spots with bluing gone.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Strafer Gott

How did Santa Know?

I declare, there is just something about an Italian shotgun.
Congrats and Merry Christmas!
Old December 16, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Pahoo

You did very well and happy for you !!

Quote:
It is a nice piece.
It is an excellent piece. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2012, 12:54 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Nice addition Hawg! You ought to have a lot of fun with that! Looks like it is in fine shape as well! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 16, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Hawg

I fired four rounds out of it today. All I had was some #8 shot and no wads. I used paper towels for wads. The first two loads were 70 grains of powder and an equal amount of shot by volume. It shot ok but the sound and recoil were very disappointing. Next I went to 80 X 80 and was much happier with the results. A nice solid boom and some recoil you could actually feel.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Curious Sir? Where would you buy your wads from? I don't think you can use the same fiber or paper wadding used in old style paper shot shells? or can you?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Hawg

Circle Fly. http://www.circlefly.com/index.html They would be a little small. I use 11 gauge wads and cards for a 12 gauge.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:27 PM   #16
arcticap

That's a really nice Pedersoli double barrel that you bought.
Do the barrels have any choke or are they cylinder bore or what?
Or aren't they marked?
Balled up and compressed newspaper can work good for 12 gauge wadding.

Last edited by arcticap; December 17, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Chowmif16

Hawg,
I have essentially the same gun, but with removable choke tubes. I love shooting it, however it doesn't fit me very well. My eye sits too high, so I don't have a nice sight line down the barrel.
What a fun gun to shoot though!
Is the trigger pull on yours quite hard?

Cheers,
Old December 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Hawg

No choke. Most muzzle loading shotguns are cylinder bore. Unless you have choke tubes you can remove to load its too hard to get a tight fit with wads and cards. I have used newspaper before but it makes a bigger mess than paper towels. That's why I only shot four rounds, I had confetti all over the yard. The trigger pull on mine is quite nice but since it is used I don't know if it was worked on or not.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:12 PM   #19
noelf2

Nice shotgun Hawg. I use 1/4" hard felt wads over powder (one for small game light loads and two for heavier loads) and 1/8" cork wads over shot in my pedersoli 10ga. Punch out the wads myself. The cork is frangible and doesn't blow the pattern for me.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:23 AM   #20
Hawg

I usually use a powder card over the powder and then the wad with my Ancion. Do the cork wads hold tight under recoil?
Old December 18, 2012, 09:46 AM   #21
noelf2

Quote:
Do the cork wads hold tight under recoil?
They do as long as they're a little over bore size. They're a bit forgiving in my choked barrels (spring back to shape) unlike overshot cards. Not sure what punch you'd need for your 12 guage. I use a 20mm arch punch for my 10 gauge. I rechecked the cork tiles I punch from, and they're more like 3/16" thick, but feather light, and made up of compressed cork particles about the size of course coffee grinds. Before I experimented with the cork, I just used a 1/8" felt wad over the shot. That held up under recoil too, but is more expensive and doesn't break up like the cork.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:03 AM   #22
jaguarxk120

You can find out when the gun was made by the date code on the bottom of the barrels at the breach. The code will be in a small box and roman numerals some times regular numbers. The date code can be found at shotgunworld in the Beretta stickies.

Are your barrels chrome lined?
Old December 18, 2012, 04:51 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't own any Pedersoli firearms. I do happen to own a T/C product or two as you may or may not know Hawg. In my experiences having to deal with T/Cs parts & service department now & then over the years. I've always come way feeling completely satisfied with T/Cs ability to accommodate their customers to the best of their ability. (I firmily believe they try too.) To be honest I've always wondered if Pedersoli has that same high regards for their customers as well when it comes down to their parts & service department? Curiosity has gotten the best of me here Hawg. That's why I'm asking you Sir. Some day I just may buy a Pedersoli product. But before I do. I think its best to hear some feedback before hand. Concerning Pedersoli products from one who owns their product/s. Tell me like it is please.

S/S
Old December 18, 2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
You can find out when the gun was made by the date code on the bottom of the barrels at the breach. The code will be in a small box and roman numerals some times regular numbers. The date code can be found at shotgunworld in the Beretta stickies.

Are your barrels chrome lined?
Yeah, I know. I posted a couple of days ago it was made in 79. No not chrome.

Quote:
Some day I just may buy a Pedersoli product. But before I do. I think its best to hear some feedback before hand. Concerning Pedersoli products from one who owns their product/s. Tell me like it is please.
Whacha wanna know Sureshot? I like it. It is very light tho and its kind of dainty. It seems to be high quality. Wood to metal fit is very good and the 33 year old finish on the barrels has held up well. The barrel key is pinned which I've never seen done on a repro unless it was a custom build. The muzzles are very thin so there will be no screw in chokes used. I haven't fired it for accuracy or to check barrel regulation but I did hit a pumpkin four times with a good bit of shot from around 20 yards. When I get some more wads and cards I'll give it a workout.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I've always wondered if Pedersoli has that same high regards for their customers as well when it comes down to their parts & service department?
Warranty work &/ or parts required. How are they at Pedersoli? >Helpful or so so? Do you have to call Italy?