The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
chris in va

Love my P01, but these darn mags!

Every CZ I've bought the past ten years has been delivered with mags that just don't work. The springs are like wet noodles. People say, "Mec Gar makes the factory mags" which I highly doubt as the springs are physically different in appearance.

I made up a bunch of LRN for my P01. They worked great with the 16rd MecGar, but one jam per mag with the factory 14rd. I have two on order but this mandatory mag buy is getting old.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
comn-cents

It sucks that they don't work, I've had a few like that. I just buy wolf springs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...D1/mID16/dID91
Old October 3, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
CowTowner

Never had the problem with any of my CZ factory mags.
CZ 40B, 75 BD Police and Kadet Conversion Kit. All continue to work as they should.
I'm sorry you seem to get the bad ones.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 3, 2012, 11:33 PM   #4
armoredman

This is my experience, too, never had an issue with a factory CZ mag. I sold my extra Compact mags a while ago, or I'd send you one just to get you a good one!
Old October 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
chris in va

You'd think Wolff springs would help, but they are only 10% stronger than stock. I tried them with the factory 15rd with my 75bd but still got feeding issues.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Zhillsauditor

Strange, I've owned four CZs and never had a magazine problem with any of them. My P01 shoots with the factory mags, with my two mecgar mags, as well as the 16 rounders from the CZ 75bd I had, even if they stuck out a bit. I've not heard of this being an issue with CZs, but if wolff makes extra power springs, it must be.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Pilot

I also change out my mag springs with Wolff. No problems.
Old October 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
10-96

Chris,
I"ve got that funny "Hmm" thing going on. How many clips have you bought in the past 10 years that have been bad? All, or the majority? That's just really got my curiosity going.

Do you suppose you're doing anything different in your cleaning or lubing processes that the rest of us aren't? I can't help but wonder if there's some other underlying cause.

Do you use a heavy grease anywhere on the firearm? Do you keep the inside of the magwells wet with oil or grease? What kind and how much lube do you use?

Most CZ's I've personally handled seemed to be the least effected handguns by limpwristing I know of- right up there with Sig 220's.

There just almost HAS to be something else going on, unless somebody at CZ just doesn't like you for some old 10+ year transgression.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 4, 2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Mark In Texas

Two CZs here and never had a problem with magazines with either, factory 10, 14, and 15 round mags as well as some Mecgars.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
testuser

I've owned four CZ pistols and one rifle, no problem with any mags, either. I'd call the company, or purchase a few extra mec-gar mags.

It could also be that your CZ just doesn't like that particular load. Mine seems to prefer shorter reloads for some bullet profiles.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:15 AM   #11
chris in va

Alrighty, got my MecGars today.

Factory mag spring measures .045" thick and is uniform in width throughout it's length. MecGar measures .051" and is mag width for 3/4 of the length up to the 'pinch' in the mag body. Spring feels much stronger, definitely more than the 10% Wolff spring I had years ago.

Look, my first CZ was a 75bd. It would try to extract factory FMJ while feeding a fresh round and jam on the case rim. CZ couldn't fix it, so I got some MecGars and it cleared up.

My 527 had the rounds feeding at a 45 degree angle. Turns out the mag body had burrs from an improperly designed cut. CZ sent me two new mags with the same burr and refused to listen to my fix. The follower isn't anti-tilt, adding to the issue.

I just accept that every new CZ I buy will need 'tweaks'. No biggie, love the guns.

Last edited by chris in va; October 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM.