The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 26, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
tido879

m&p15 misfeed

I recently purchased the mp15 sport, came with one magazine and I purchased two more. First time shooting gun, second bullet loaded wrong and kind of half ejected itself. Put 87 more rounds through it no problem. Thought maybe break in issue, went to range the other day, same problem. Is it a magazine issue or something with the gun? I haven't had a chance to get back out a see if same magazine each time. I'm firing the 55 grain fmj American eagle xm193
Old May 26, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
NWdude83

Is it a carbine length gas system?
Old May 26, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
ndking1126

Magazine issues is definitely a possibility, but can't say for sure. You should some how mark your mags (maybe red tape on one, blue on another and green on the 3rd) so you can take notice if it's the same mag or not.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:51 PM   #4
xdshooter

This does not bode well. I was planning on getting a Sport in the near future. When you find out if its a magazine problem or something with the gun please let everyone here know about it. I still want one though.

[Edit] And by the way, a picture is a good way to explain a malfunction. Whenever you decide to get back out to the range take a camera along to snap a pic of the malfunction if and when it happens again. Also try a different brand of ammo if you haven't already.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
danco

My M&P15 had one mis-feed, after about the first 15 rounds, that actually required mortaring to get unstuck....However, it's been flawless ever since...

I chalked it up to breaking it in...

~Dan
Old May 26, 2011, 04:49 PM   #6
zombieslayer

Edit- double post

Last edited by zombieslayer; May 26, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
zombieslayer

Sounds eerily familiar. I had two piston M&P's that both jammed repeatedly, even after going back to Smith. At least one failure every few mags. Just enough to never trust the guns. I never got mine running well, so I sold them at a loss with full disclosure. But try all the usual "fixes".
Different mags/Ammo
Run it clean and WELL lubed
I even went as far as buying different buffers/springs, etc. Hopefully you get it straightened out. When mine came back from S&W they didn't seem to be any different than before, other than a huger accumulation of shop dust and some new scuffs and scratches.
Best of luck to you, S&W seems to treat most customers rather well. Maybe I called them on the wrong day and wrong time
Old May 26, 2011, 05:30 PM   #8
xdshooter

Damn. It would be hard to slay any zombies with those problems. I am still gonna get one tho and I hope I don't have as many issues with it as you guys did.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Fabius

Might be a magazine problem. I have 250 rounds through my Sport, all Federal M193, with no issues. Have seen posts from others with 1000+ rounds flawlessly. Your post is the first that I've seen reporting a feeding problem.

I use PMags in my Sport. Have experienced feed problems with agency Colt M4's that were magazine related, but never with PMags.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:59 PM   #10
tido879

It is the carbine gas system, they are pmags I did just notice the floor plate retainer isnt the same on one of the mags. Camping this weekend but will put a couple hundred rounds through her next week
Old May 27, 2011, 03:07 AM   #11
NWdude83

Watch this video. Even though it promotes gas piston systems it also explains the faults of the carbine-length direct gas impingement system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LltA...layer_embedded
Old May 27, 2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Marquezj16

Have not had a single malfunction on my M&P 15 Sport or OR. They have ran flawless. As a matter of fact, none of the military issue ones I used have ever had a malfunction.

Okay, I take that back, during exercises, the blanks they issue causes some problem.

Check your mags (check inside for the springs too) and you might find the culprit. If the mags are okay, check your ammo.

Last edited by Marquezj16; May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Volucris

If you're having issues with more than one magazine I would say it's the rifle. M&P 15s are pretty good but I'm not sure about the sport models. I would call S&W they are very good at customer service.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM   #14
chris in va

700 reloads through my Sport as of yesterday, no problems.

I'd break it down and give it a thorough cleaning, then lube it up wet and try again. The Sport actually comes with one 30rd PMag, so can't really blame it on that.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Pert316

Mp15 sport

Don't know much about the sport, it is a less expensive gun for some reason. My MP 15 MOE shoots any thing I put through her. From cheap steel case to better brass ammo perfect. By the way all I use is P mags.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:52 PM   #16
wingman

Quote:
Run it clean and WELL lubed
I run a new firearm with a lot of lube it seems to work for me, only problems I've had with automatics has been magazines seems to be a cheap point with many modern firearms,perhaps outsourcing,(?).
Old May 28, 2011, 09:13 PM   #17
zombieslayer

One of the things that frustrates me about AR's is the endless list of things to try when/if a problem arises. Me, I tried 5 or 6 kinds of mags, more than ten kinds of ammo, and all sorts of other things. Soaking the bolt in atf fluid... All sorts of voodoo. And my girlfriends dad has an Olympic that runs like a top even with negligible maintenance.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:33 PM   #18
Marquezj16

@zombieslayer, love the name, are you a left for dead fan?
Anyhow, sorry about your experience with your piston AR. Seems like a lot of people here talk negatively about them as a solution to a problem that did not exist. Why change from direct gas when it functions if maintained properly? In the OP's case though, he has a problem with a direct gas system. Something that none of the other owners of the same rifle has experienced. I'm very interested if the problem was the magazine, ammo, or the rifle itself.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:55 AM   #19
Longdayjake

Sometimes to get them fixed you need to put them in the hands of someone more experienced so that he can see exactly what is happening. I have found that new ARs very often need a TON of lube to function well. I have "fixed" several of my buddies AR's who thought that it they get dirty if they lubed it too much. The AR will get cruddy whether there is lube on there or not so you might as well lube it up. After about 500 rounds you shouldn't need as much lube anymore and things will get better. I have only owned one AR that didn't jam at all when I first got it. It was a cheap Double Star.
Old June 10, 2011, 03:25 PM   #20
tido879

shot flawlessly today

Cleaned and put together "wet" Monday with the intention of going to range, never happened. Finally got out today and fired 300 rounds, 3 different ammos without a single problem. Well she was blazing hot but that was to be expected. So maybe problem was just not enough lube.
Old June 10, 2011, 05:05 PM   #21
chris in va

That's good to hear. I heard they like to run wet, so far so good with mine.
Old June 10, 2011, 05:38 PM   #22
m17s_guy

IMHO you cannot get too much lube into an AR. unless it is running down the barrel that is. On a long day at the range, we will shoot 2000 rounds through the 2 AR models i own, and i drench the BCG in Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5w 30 before starting the day. i can run wolf or tula all day with no issues through my armalite and panther arms. the whole concept of "running it wet" works.
Old June 12, 2011, 11:17 PM   #23
Marquezj16

Glad to hear your Sport is working well. I don't shoot mine wet like others but I have not had any problem with it. At least if I run into the same problem I will know to just add lube. I usually have some in the ammo box.

Tags
ar15 , misfeed