The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 27, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1
TreyNC

Rem 770?

Should I buy or not. Heres the deal, I don't need another rifle but,... Wally world(not some were I truly want to purchase a gun from anyway) has Rem 770's with scope for 299 plus a 30 dollar rebate. A new gun for 270 bucks!!!

The only local gun store in my area, I don't like all that much any way. Really it is in the next town anyway. I usually have to drive about an hour to go to a gun store I will buy from. Wally world only 10 min.

What do I do? Wallmart also has Rem 700 synthetic for 300 slat no scope. And I know I probably wont want the scope that comes with the gun any way. Is it worth it for the 770 and the flack I will have to take from my wife? Especially since I have been talking her into the idea for buying s couple of AR lowers to build on to you know, lessen the feel of the cost by purchasing parts over time.

I am weaving a web, so confusing.

So confusing, so let me have it!
Old October 27, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
fisherman66

I haven't had any experience with the 770. I understand it's the offspring of the 710 which is held in poor regard by many. It's probably an acceptable rifle for most people's needs, but the design means it's hard to change things like trigger pull and floating the barrel. If you are interested in "tweaking" it to your specifications, may I suggest looking at Howa, Savage or Stevens which are not much more expensive and offer combo scope packages as well (at least the Savage does and the others might). If not, it may suit your needs fine.
Old October 27, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Gewehr98

It's a repackaged 710.

'Nuf said.

Neural Misfires
Old October 27, 2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

I bought one in 30.06 Friday, took it out to the range to sight in today. I am not a rifle expert but 300 dollars for 30.06, a decent 3x9 scope = in my car within the hour.

The scope was boresighted at the factory, after I zero'ed it at 100 yards I shot about a 2-3" 5 shot group with it from a cheap plastic rest.

Being new to rifles, especially bolt action rifles, I will say that it is TOUGH to throw the bolt to eject/load but other than that the trigger break was nice and you can adjust it yourself (they recommend against doing so however). The scope was good enough for 100 yards, probably double that, I'm going to try that tomorrow.

There are probably better rifles in the world than that one but for the cost/quality I don't think I made a bad choice. How it will perform in the long run remains to be seen though.
Old October 28, 2007, 08:01 PM   #5
wolverine350

My stainless steel 770 in 270 shoots very well, refined 710, but is a nice gun for the money, i dont shoot a rifle all that much so will last a long while i'm sure, a lot of people blast the 710 and probably never owned one
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old October 28, 2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Gewehr98

Wrong.

I didn't have to own one. I've had many opportunities to shoot 'em as a rangemaster. In all honesty, I should've stopped after the first attempt, but I gave Remington the benefit of the doubt - I thought perhaps the second and third one wouldn't suck as much as the first. My bad, because they did.

Neural Misfires