The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 8, 2005, 08:57 PM   #1
MikeJackmin

1911 Throws Brass In Face

My otherwise well-behaved ParaOrd P-12 .45 will occasionally eject brass right into my face. It does not seem to be related to my firing grip, and replacing the recoil spring did not help.

Catching a chunk of brass in the eye can be a serious problem if the gun is used in an emergency.

Is this something I can fix myself, or does it need a trip to the 'smith?
Old April 8, 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
steveno

welcome to the world of the 1911 as they generally do what they want to.
Old April 8, 2005, 10:08 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

Not sure but

I would check the tip of the ejector and make sure it isn't rounded off or broken. It should have a slant on it to allow the round to climb up and off of it. If it needs to be replaced, I am not sure if the longer ejector of the officers model will work for you, but the longer nose on the ejector helped throw the round off to the side for me, I haven't worked on any of the Para's to know for sure. I would also check the hook of the extractor and make sure it doesn't have too much engagement allowing it to hold on to the rim too long as to mess up the ejection of the round. Good luck with it.
Old April 9, 2005, 03:23 PM   #4
MikeJackmin

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old April 9, 2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Dave Sample

I don't do Para's but it sounds like a combination of ejector and extractor problems to me. They can be adjusted on some 1911's but yours may have the old fashioned external exractor. 1911's do what they are told by people like me. They are just a little machine and can be made to behave.
Old April 9, 2005, 04:59 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

my p12 (since sold) did the same thing. bought a new extractor. problem went away.