The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2006, 07:43 AM   #1
billykaldrich

Buckmasters scamming for business

Buckmasters whats up with them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a call afew months back from Buckmasters and they try to sell me the "program". I said let me see a copy of the mag. They say okay send one out if you like it we will sign you up for the lifetime membership and give you all these gifts.I recieve the mag fing it to be only fair in quality and do not respond to join.Now they send me to collection for a membership I never wanted and said I did verbally.Watch out for these guys fellows real scammers. Hey Jackie...
Old May 26, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I dunno; who are they?
Old May 27, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3
silicon wolverine

Buckmasters is a company that markets hunting mags and equipment to morons. they also have a TV show on the outdoor channel. Thier products are of inferior quailty (chinese made in most cases) and the magazines are slanted to say the least. Stay as far away from them as you can.

SW
Old June 20, 2006, 02:28 PM   #4
ropes_71

Buckmasters

They did the same thing to me about six years ago. Only, I don't remember ever giving them any confirmation. I ignored them and nobody collected. When they called back again a couple of years later, I let the caller have it and told them to never call me back. They still do every year.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:34 AM   #5
BLKLABMAN

Buckmaster's is nothing but a joke and a scam
Around five years ago, they called and tried to get me to join. I said NO.
A few weeks later, a magazine and an envelope showed up in the mail. The envelope was bill, for the memebership I did NOT want. I ignored it, and trashed the magazine.
A few days later their telemarketer's started calling, wanting to know if the payment for the membership I did NOT want, had been mailed.
I was more than alittle upset. I recorded a couple of the conversations, then had my attorney send them a notice that unless the harrasment stopped, legal action on my part would be forthcoming.
The last five years, has been peaceful.
Old June 22, 2006, 11:34 PM   #6
22-rimfire

Buckmaster mailings always capture my eye. Upon review a few years back, I opted not to respond. The testing of equipment sounded fun and interesting. But, I read that only a very few people actually participate in that activity. The same applied to hunting on their "leases". I filed it in the Trash Can with the other junk mail. Just another "organization" to separate you from your money.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7
castnblast

I ordered their magazine about 8-9 years ago, and they tried the same stunt with me. When they sent something unsolicited to me in the mail. I sent it back, AND paid for the shipping. Then they sent me more books. I sent them back along with a letter stating I didin't ask for their books, and not to send anymore. THEN they sent me to a collection agency stating I did not return their merchandise and owed them money. At this point I was really hacked, and I sent them a certified letter, and contacted the Texas State Attorney General's office, who told me under the law, I was not obligated to send them any money, and they sent a letter on my behalf. I also had to send a demand letter cc'd TX State Attorney General's office in order to get the collection removed from my credit report. . They are bad news, and I REFUSE to look at any of their shows. By the way, I don't know for sure, BUT the North American Hunting Club and the North American Fishing Club are run under the same guise. They may be affilliated, so stear clear of those as well.
Old July 7, 2006, 01:02 PM   #8
Scorch

No, NAHC is not affiliated with Buckmasters. I have been a member of NAHC for over 15 years. They never send unsolicited merchandise, although they do send out "club member special offers" for stuff you can buy better and cheaper from Cabela's.

NAHC's magazine is pretty good, even if it is slanted very heavily towards marketing and promoting merchandise. Game species hunted include deer (whitetail, mulies and blacktails), moose, turkeys, pheasant, coyotes, elk, caribou, bear, varminting, and even a story on hunting musk ox recently. The hunts depicted include self-guided, fully guided, drop camps, hunting lodges, tent camping, truck camping, and bed-roll backwoods hunts. All in all, pretty fair magazine.

Buckmasters magazine, on the other hand, is just a rag. The hunts are always for whitetail deer, usually guided, and usually highlighting stays at fancy lodges. They are always naming name brand equipment that most of us could not afford to buy, and lots of it. If you took half the stuff they say you need to hunt deer at one of those fancy lodges, you wouldn't be able to walk.

Buckmasters is just a scam. NAHC is a lot like watching TV. A lot of ads, a lot of content worth seeing, and some "so what" stuff. Not the same thing. I would even recommend NAHC if a person needs to learn about hunting or enjoys good reading.
Old July 7, 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
castnblast

Good to know. Thanks scorch. It just smelled the same, so I steared clear. Once bitten, twice shy....
Old July 9, 2006, 11:41 PM   #10
guntotin_fool

buckmasters is an offshoot of bassmasters. they figured they had enough suckers with that outfit to try it on us deer hunters, and they found out we were dumber than the bass fisherman. I got sent to collections by them after filling out a "win a free hunt" card at outdoorsman show. A lawsuit filed against them cleared it up.
Old July 11, 2006, 11:26 AM   #11
Desertfox

I just want to second the motion of North American Hunt Club. I am a member and it is nothing like the scammers of Buckmasters.
If you would join NAHC next time you get an invitation you would realize your twelve bucks a year is worth it.
Old July 14, 2006, 07:35 PM   #12
remjeep75

buckmasters is a scam they call and send info all the time. a friend of mine got sucked in and ended up paying like $60 for some useless junk and a bad magazine
Old October 23, 2007, 05:54 PM   #13
Mink

Your not alone They done it to me twice now and it's getting old in a hurry!!!

You can see what I'm talking about here

http://forums.bowcountry.com/bcforum...ead.php?t=7799
http://www.bowfishingworld.com/forum...cseen#msg14067
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...33#post5555833
Old October 23, 2007, 06:30 PM   #14
davlandrum

I have received merchandise unsolicited from NAHC. Some deer statue thing that I would never have asked for. I immeadiatly sent it back and included a letter not to send me stuff unsolicted.

I agree the quality of the NAHC is good (my buddy buys it all...), but I don't think the prices are good at all. Biggest thing is I really don't have a need for any of it.

One of thier big selling points is the "test products". Only thing I ever was sent to test was some camo-packed oversized baby wipes. Talking about finding an answer to a non-existent question....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 24, 2007, 06:57 AM   #15
king.460

Jackie Bushman is a damn auburn graduate so what do you expect?

ROLL TIDE!!
Old October 24, 2007, 08:34 AM   #16
Full-choke

NAHC is alright by me...

I'm a member of NAHC as well, and I can say that I get more junk mail from the NRA then I do from them. I've never had a beef with the NAHC, prolly never will. It is part of being a member to something, you get crap you don't want...just pitch it. But, that's good to know, I won't be joining Buckmaster's anytime soon.
Old March 6, 2008, 05:54 PM   #17
Buckmasters CS

Jackie has been reading all the various threads and wanted me to post this.

Hi Everyone, this is Jackie Bushman. It was brought to my attention that I should read a thread that was on this website. I have read the thread and I apologize to those who have had such a tough time. But I’m glad it was brought to my attention, and it will be handled immediately.

We are one of about seven affinity organizations nationwide for the outdoorsman. We deal with not hundreds, not thousands but hundreds of thousands of people each year. With that being said, we are going to make mistakes along the way. This is the reason we all have customer service departments.

As far as I’m concerned, one complaint is one too many. My policy is that the consumer is always right no matter what the situation. The old saying is not to believe something until you hear it from the horse’s mouth. Well here it is: if anyone reading this message is having a problem with your membership, I will personally guarantee we will make it right and hope you will give us a chance to earn your respect again. Also, if anyone from Buckmasters has been rude or disrespectful to you, I want to know the day, time, your phone number or the person’s name you talked too. This will be taken care of immediately!

The bottom line is that we all make mistakes. In our case, the only way to fix them is for you to contact our customer service department. Over the past 21 years, we have taken great pride to promote the great sport of whitetail hunting through our magazines and on our TV shows. We have more than 400,000 members and subscribers to our publications. We have taken more than 6,000 disabled hunters out to the field; we have made more than 700 seriously ill children's dreams come true; we have fed more than 6 million people through Project Venison; and we are starting a new program this year called “Takin Heroes Hunting” where Buckmasters will be buying our wounded soldiers adaptive equipment and taking them on hunts.

We are proud of our sport and want to continue to do everything we can to protect it and promote it. All the things I’ve mentioned above have happened due to the strong commitment of Buckmasters members. When I read something like this thread, it hurts. Our goal over the years has been to unify deer hunters, not to divide them. With all this said, here is what I need you to do: a new email address has been set up to handle complaints or questions: [email protected]

If you have any concern whatsoever, please email us right away. Be sure to include your full name, address, and phone number (this information will only be used to address your complaint). If you prefer, you may call 1-800-240-3337 and ask to speak to Kevin in Customer Service .

Thank you for reading & Good Hunting,

Jackie Bushman
Old March 6, 2008, 08:00 PM   #18
W. C. Quantrill

Well, I guess equal time..........

I too got a call from the Bushmasters high pressure telephone crew. I told them no, but ended up being billed for it anyway. I got the same old blah blah about that I gave them verbal authority when the cretin called back. Since I was law enforcement at the time, I threatened to take them to court and report them to the state attorney general, and they dropped their demands.

Jackie, you are so full of crap that I cannot even stand to watch your show. If BS was music, you would sound like a brass band. No thanks, I dont need your crap.
Old March 7, 2008, 05:19 AM   #19
predator86

Jackie Bushman=scum floating on top of the gene pool

jackie bushman- i hang up whenever you call......please get the hell off of a site that i visit before you ruin it like you ruin everything else, you do not run a fair business and you dont deal in hundreds of thousands of customers.....come on people arent THAT stupid, i have never met anyone at an archery shoot, gun range, gun store, gun meet or a hunting cabin that can even stand the thought of you breathing their air! nobody likes you now go away and quit harrassing us, you give hunters a bad name. sincerely-Jesse Rechtzigel

have you ever hunted public land all by yourself without a guide or help from a local of any kind???? i highly doubt it.....
Old March 7, 2008, 05:43 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Jackie has been reading all the various threads and wanted me to post this.
He can't even post his own response. If indeed it's a legitimate stand in.
Old March 7, 2008, 05:55 AM   #21
predator86

i thought most people covered their own issues but i guess when you are rich you can pay people to do it for you:barf:
Old March 7, 2008, 09:43 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If this jackie feller really is aware of our thread he knows there is a problem... If it were me in his shoes I would call an immediate meeting including those off today and it is so mandatory if you don't show you are FIRED... When all my little subjects shuffle in and sit down I would pull out a maple club, bust the table they are sitting at and ask... "Who's next?" Than I would make sure my people are I aware I am aware and expect any marketing vendors involved are fired too! Every one would be expected to show me how they are NOT involved and the rest are GONE NOW!
But than again every business I owned is INTEGRITY ENTERPRISES... for a reason.
Brent
Old March 7, 2008, 10:18 PM   #23
W. C. Quantrill

These two threads need to be pinned up as stickies so the others coming to this forum see them and can beware of the scam.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Unsolicited items received in the mail are yours. You owe nobody nothing. You do not have to return unsolicited items.

As I said in that other thread, in this day of scams and identity theft, it is reasonably wise to periodically get a new credit card number and cancel the old card. That would prevent a scam billing from somebody with whom you did business in the past.

Art
Old March 8, 2008, 11:00 AM   #25
castnblast

I sent them a private message, but thought I'd post the quote here too. I think you will all agree for the most part...

Get Jackie Bushman to post his own thread...or is he too scared? I agree the organization has done some great things...It does not make up for the lack of integrity shown through your B.S. marketing schemes, the new small print that "authorizes" unsolicited items to be sent, AND the high pressure schemes your marketing dept. takes on. The devil is always in the details...It's time your group "mans up" to it's evil ways and then, only then will you get the respect you request. Integrity is everything - you can do all the great stuff in the world, but if you finance it through misleading sales, and deceptive trade practices, you would be better off having not done anything at all.