The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 23, 1999, 04:49 PM   #1
average american

I have a thompson auto ordinance 1911A1 and have recently started experiencing extractor "clocking". The notch for the firing pin stop is too deep for the stop to fully engage it, and the partial rotation of the extractor is causing me jamming problems. Does anyone out there know of a particular brand of aftermarket extractor that has this notch cut shallower than a typical GI extractor so that i can fit it to the stop properly?
As you can imagine, i'd like to get this fixed without having to buy 3 or 4 extractors first. (and a non functioning 1911 is one of life's most annoying problems!!)Any help i could get would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 23, 1999, 05:49 PM   #2
STEVE M

You might want to try one of the oversized firing pin stops. They are made to be fitted so the extractor cannot rotate. EGW was the first that I know of to make these. Sorry I don't know a WEB site for them.
Old December 23, 1999, 06:04 PM   #3
average american

Dear Steve, I thought that was the way to go too, but i got one of those from Brownell's and have it fitted snugly, but I'm sure an extractor is needed as it still allows the rotation.
Even with the oversize stop, the extractors notch isnt filled up enough to prevent my problem. Im hopeful though, somebody must make an extractor where this notch is nice and shallow to allow fitting. Thanks!
Old December 23, 1999, 08:46 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

AA, I would shim the bottom of the slot in the extractor. Brownells sells a shim stock assortment in different thicknesses or you could use anything like a pop can etc. Just cut to size and epoxy in place. If you make it too thick you can always file it a little. George
Old December 23, 1999, 10:47 PM   #5
average american

George, Thanks for the advice, i guess i'll try that shimming of the extractor that you mentioned. I'm just guessing here, but i think that epoxy in this area wouldn't give me too much of a problem.Just out of curiosity,had you ever heard of this problem to the extent that a new stop wouldn't cure it?(just wondering if i'm just unlucky here)I bought this gun used at a pretty good price and it has been a good shooter for me for years with this being my first problem out of it.Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.AA
Old December 24, 1999, 07:16 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

AA, I can only remember one that the oversize stop didn't cure. I shimmed it and it worked fine. The oversize stop is usually the answer. Epoxy in the rear of the slide won't get warm enough to release. George