The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
jakeLC

springfield mil-spec

I just recently bought a springfield 1911 mil-spec in stainless and was wondering what i could do to it to make it a little better for under 500 dollars and what gunsmith i should send it to. id prefer the gunsmith be in indiana somewhere but if not that wouldnt be too bad.
thanks
Old July 26, 2011, 07:03 PM   #2
hardworker

Shoot it. Shoot it some more. Then, you might find it doesn't need anything to be "better". No need to throw money at it unless you have to.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
jakeLC

i have put about 300 rounds through it already and just feel as though it may be missing something, just dont know what. i have shot several 1911s and i do like this one but again its missing something
Old July 26, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4
jakeLC

i do feel however that the accuracy isnt great. at 25 yards it has a group of about 4-5 inches on average any ideas on how to make that better?
Old July 26, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5
bubbaturbo

What do the internal portions of your safety, slide stop, etc look like? Mine are silver on the portion that shows and black on the portion that isn't visible. That bugs me a little.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:48 PM   #6
tekarra

I agree with hardworker, shoot that rascal.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:50 PM   #7
TunnelRat

So you are shooting 4-5" groups, which has to be the fault of the gun? At 25 yds I don't think that is that bad for a decent shooter. Do you happen to be a pro shooter who usually gets 1-2" groups and that is why you think this is bad?
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 26, 2011, 08:00 PM   #8
erob3

I had the same exact pistol and the first thing I did was a trigger job and change the MH spring. The trigger was terrible on mine; had to be 10 lbs. or more. Afterwards it was around 4-5lbs., much more shootable. I also installed a "drop-in" beavertail safety, combat hammer and extended thumb safety. There was some space between the rear horns of the frame and the safety but I was not trying to win trophies for looks so it was no big deal to me. After replacing all of the parts I was very pleased with the way it looked, felt in my hand and shot. The beavertail safety seemed to give the pistol a better feel between my thumb and trigger finger. Overall the cost of the parts was around $100 - $125, I swapped the parts myself as they required little to no fitting. I kept the factory parts for the future owner. I have heard changing the barrell bushing helps the accuracy of a 1911, I did not change that part however. If you choose to have a gunsmith do this work I would imagine the work to be under $500. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

P.S. -- Sold the SA a few months ago to buy my new Ruger SR1911. Great pistol out of the box.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:02 PM   #9
jakeLC

i was getting those groups from a bench rest at an indoor range and no i am not a pro shooter but if my gun is off 4-5 inches and lets say im off 2 or so that can add up to not even hitting the target in some cases.

Last edited by jakeLC; July 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:04 PM   #10
jakeLC

thanks erob thats something to think about. my trigger is also a bit heavy maybe 7 pounds but thats much better than 10
Old July 26, 2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

Here's one that's had a few mods.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 26, 2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Hunter Customs

Here's a view of the back side of the gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 26, 2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Hunter Customs

jakeLC,

The barrel in this gun locked up nice at the back end, however the front end was a little loose.

I lathe turned a National Match barrel bushing for the gun to lock the front of the barrel up tighter and crowned the barrel with a 11 degree crown.
These two things improved the accuracy in this one.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 26, 2011, 08:33 PM   #14
govmule84

FWIW...

I had the same problems with my Springer years ago. Same gun.

HUGE gaps between the slide and frame. I know 1911's are supposed to be a little loose for best running, but I could see daylight looking down the gun! I had the same issue; 4-5" groups. I knew it wasn't me.

It went back to Springer, on their dime. They tightened up that gap, put in a match barrel of some sort, among a host of other new parts.

The gun returned shooting like a champ. I later put a flat mainspring housing on it, with a lighter mainspring and a fresh set of grips. It shoots great. It's got some good, honest wear, but it's a working gun and looks it.

I also think you can't go wrong investing in mags, ammo, and range time.
Old July 26, 2011, 08:47 PM   #15
EdInk

Send it to Springfield Armory and let them tweak it under warranty.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Sgt01

I agree, send it back to Springfield. They'll take care of it and make it right. Excellent customer service.
Old August 1, 2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Look familiar?

Been there done that. Would do it again. Just make sure you find a real gunsmith to do it.

I have since added an Ed Brown beaver tail on my 1911. Amazing firearm. Also get the Wilson Combat magazines. One of the best.

Old August 1, 2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
HUGE gaps between the slide and frame. I know 1911's are supposed to be a little loose for best running, but I could see daylight looking down the gun! I had the same issue; 4-5" groups. I knew it wasn't me.

Maybe an old issue.

Mine came extremely tight!!

Tags
1911 , mil-spec , springfield