The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2009, 10:03 PM   #51
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree with Chris. Sherman was no gunslinger. Nor was Fool Tom for that matter or Marsh Bob. Please stay on topic or the thread will be locked.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:20 PM   #52
ClemBert

Old May 5, 2009, 10:28 PM   #53
51_60_colt

Quote:
Agree with Chris. Sherman was no gunslinger. Nor was Fool Tom for that matter or Marsh Bob. Please stay on topic or the thread will be locked
Thats why I apologized, I agree with Chris too when I think about it. And again, Sorry for the off topic junk.

Thought of another...John Wesley Hardin...dont know alot about him but seems pretty interesting.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:59 PM   #54
scrat

DEAN MARTIN

Rio Bravo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phx8CrLeOEc
Old May 6, 2009, 08:09 PM   #55
rbb50

I have to admit that "Once Upon A Time In The West" is the all time greatest western movie ever made.

It really showed the west the way it was and what people went through back then to build and modernize a lawless American frontier.

Of course the American frontier is even more lawless now days but there are still a few good heroes that always take it upon themselves to fix all of the problems in their own neighborhoods.

Once I told a bunch of gang members hanging out the whole neighborhood has cameras and pointed at the street light sensors that turn the lights on and off then told them that those were the cameras and they are hooked up to a computer of which the police and anyone can access and review every days activities for months in the neighborhood.

I was telling them I was watching them the other day online thinking you guys are going to get busted big time city LOL

They all split fast and never came back

Later a neighbor was asking, What did you tell them to make them all leave like that so fast and I told him and he was laughing so hard he almost choked LOL
Old May 7, 2009, 05:51 AM   #56
Visaman

Well, my interest in BP was started by the usual spagetti western's..

i like Morgan Kane, Texas Ranger, US Marshal, Special Agent, gunslinger.
Description:
height: 198 cm
weight 75 kilo
eyecolor: grey
has a star shaped scar on the back on his gun hand doe to a bullet.
Has a paralyzed ring finger on that hand, uses a leather ring to bind it to the middle finger.

personality:
Anxious, slight Introvert and does not bond easely due to his occupation.
psychopathic traits, likes to gamble and to play hasard. Draws on 1/5 second.

Handguns used by Kane:
Patterson Colt
Walker Colt.
Colt .45 SA Model P "Peacemaker".
Navy Colt.
Colt .44
Colt .45 DA
Smith & Wesson .44, New Model DA "Navy".

Used winchester rifles, later on Krag Jørgensen.

Morgan Kane is a product of the norwegian author Louis Masterson. It is the most successfull paperbackseries ever published in Norway, with over 12 million copies sold. The series was published 1966-1985 in 83 volumes. The series has been published in several countries (Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Poland, Germany, France, Holland, Spain and England). Later Kane appeared in the Diablito- (1978-79, 3 books) and El Diablo-series (1991-97, 4 books), but according to the author, he is killed in the last book in the El Diablo-series.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:51 AM   #57
arcticap

Daniel Boone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

Davy Crockett

http://www.answers.com/topic/davy-crockett

Kit Carson

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/carson.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Carson
Old May 8, 2009, 04:44 PM   #58
bbqbob51

Of course the prototype gunslinger far and away was Wild Bill Hickok, even though probably John Wesley Hardin was faster and a better shot. Wyatt Earp had to be the luckiest gunslinger considering how many actual shootouts he was involved in and NEVER nicked by a bullet and lived a long life.
Insofar as the fictional character go the top of the list has to be the Clint Eastwood Characters. Matt Dillon and Lucas McCain also come to mind.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:50 PM   #59
Tracey Walker

Bat Masterson

Bat's significant contribution to the history and legends of the old west ranged from early buffalo hunter, lawman, gambler, promoter.... to sports writer in NYC. Friends included T. Roosevelt, Earp, Holiday, Short, Brown and others. Best book written on his life is:
Bat Masterson, The Man and The Legend by Robert K. DeArment
Old May 27, 2009, 08:17 PM   #60
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I'm curious...who does the black powder community look up to as the greats, and why? If not the community, who do you look up to personally? I don't care if they're modern or historic, characters (Clint Eastwood) or real (Wild Bill).
1st - Fess Parker. His portrayal of Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett got me interested in guns and blackpowder when I was just a wee tyke. Between them, they covered blackpowder usage in the US from the late 1700s through the Alamo. I had to have a coonskin cap & musket because him.

2nd - Roy Rogers. His movies and TV series got me interested in any and everything Cowboy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 27, 2009, 09:30 PM   #61
Poordevil

It was books that got me into blackpowder shooting. The first was Across the Wide Missouri by Bernard DeVoto. The premier book on the mountain man in the northern Rockies. I got myself a blackpowder rifle, took up bp hunting and even attended a few rendezvous after being inspired by his book.

Then for the revolving pistols it was Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Glanton, Davy Brown, the Judge, black Jackson. That was the baddest bunch that ever packed a Walker!
Old May 27, 2009, 10:36 PM   #62
crstrode

Wild Bill

James Butler Hickok was the greatest - Sheriff, Marshall, Scout, Guide, Stage Driver, Spy, Soldier, Legend
Old May 28, 2009, 12:12 AM   #63
MacGille

I am amazed that none of you mentioned Marshall Bill Tighlman(Tillman) who was the best gunfigher in the US Marshalls service. Or Bat Masterson who was a true gunfighter before he became a sportswriter for a New York newpaper.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old May 28, 2009, 12:47 AM   #64
Tracey Walker

I did.... and agree!
Trace--
Old May 28, 2009, 01:36 AM   #65
cloud8a

John wesley hardin

I do not know if I look up to him because he was a known murderer. But he came from Texas like me and was born in my families hometown of Bonham, Texas. He also claims to have pulled the Border Roll on Wild Bill.

But in his auto biography he told a story about getting in a gunfight on the plains with a broken cap-n-ball pistol. He shot with his right hand while holding the cylinder in place with his left. If he is telling the truth I think this puts him up there, if he is lying, well he still "Killed 44 men, one of em just for snoring too loud."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldWest.jpg (38.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by cloud8a; May 28, 2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 01:39 AM   #66
Tommy Vercetti

Jelly Bryce
Old May 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #67
musicman

Real life- Juaquin Jackson, Texas Ranger who was sent to quell a riot and the sheriff asked if one was all they sent. His reply- you only have one riot, don't you?
Charactors- Tom Selleck of course, NRA member and proud of it! John
Old June 3, 2009, 11:31 PM   #68
Domino

I'd have to go with a guy that ended up in my current area...Porter Rockwell. The nickname for sawed off revolver barrels 'avenging angel' can be traced back to him.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:17 AM   #69
ZeSpectre

Gotta be John Coffee "Jack" Hays of the Texas Rangers for me.

If even half the stories about him are true he was A) an amazing man and B) out of his everlovin' mind!
Old June 4, 2009, 09:53 AM   #70
Poordevil

Gotta be John Coffee "Jack" Hays of the Texas Rangers for me.

If even half the stories about him are true he was A) an amazing man and B) out of his everlovin' mind!

Yea Hays was something. It was him and his company of Texas Rangers that first put the Colt Patersons to good use.
Old June 6, 2009, 04:51 PM   #71
Gatofeo

I'm very particular to whom I apply the word, "hero."
My own definition of hero, as I see it, is someone who makes sacrifices above the norm, for the common good; someone who is, or should be, greatly admired for doing so.

I don't count murderers and thieves as heroes. True, they had character and some had a sense of humor, but I don't conveniently forget that they were thieves, or caused untold grief with wanton -- as opposed to justified -- gunplay.

But if I had to pick I'd say Annie Oakley should be admired not so much for her shooting as for her early work at women's rights. She was an early prototype for the liberated woman and I believe she inspired many women to enter fields that were not usually available to them.
As far as her sacrifice goes, she endangered her career on numerous occasions by being outspoken against injustices concerning women and Native Americans.
Bill Cody was also sympathetic to Indians. Though he was more of a businessman, and had to portray them in the arena as savages in order to ensure a profit, outside of the arena he treated them fairly and tried to present them as a dignified, human rather than a bloodthirsty savage.

In 1995 I met a man who actually knew Buffalo Bill Cody. Ted was 12 when Cody died in 1917 but Ted lived in Cody, Wyoming and his father worked for Wild Bill. Ted had nothing but admiration and high praise for Cody.

But thieves and murderers as heroes? No, thank you.