The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 1999, 02:02 AM   #1
1995GMC

I have been thinking about putting an aero-tek extended slide stop and an extended mag. release on a glock 26 . I'm wondering if these parts are specific to the 26/27/33 or will they work for all frame sizes ?
Old May 2, 1999, 07:06 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

1995GMC, I'm not all that familiar with Aero-tec. I couldn't find a listing for them in the trade journal, but I would contact them and find out just what their parts fit. George
Old May 2, 1999, 07:34 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I'm not sure about the extended mag. release. I, along with several of my komrades, have trouble with the two hand grip. During rapid fire, multiple tgts. I have experienced releasing the mag. with my strong thumb. Yeah! I know I am increasing my grip, pushin down with the thumb, but I'm workin on it. OK!

It would seem to me that the extended mag release would enhance or increase the accidental mag release during firing.

The same goes for the extended slide stop. Depending how and were you place your weak thumb could determine if that during firing you may cause the slide to stay locked, giving the sense of an empty mag. when possible you have only fired one or two shots.

OPOINION:
THESE BELLS AND WHISTLE CAUSE A LOT OF NOISE LIKE !@#$%^&*()_+ AND DOUBLE DARN.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 02, 1999).]
Old May 2, 1999, 05:24 PM   #4
HS

GMC, the button & stop are the same for all models.

The stock button can be a real bear for IPSC/IDPA use can't it !

The slide stop is just that - A stop. If used a lot to release the slide it will SNAP as it is a stamped part !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Old May 2, 1999, 08:10 PM   #5
Daniel Watters

Aro-Tek used to be the major Glock aftermarket parts source from interal lasers to Hybrid-porting conversions. Brownells ( www.brownells.com ) carries the Aro-Tek extended slide stop and drop-in extended magazine release, but not their Sure-Touch oversized magazine release.

I don't care for their slide stop as it tends to bounce up during recoil if you use a high grip. Actually there are two versions, one for the G17/17L and another for the rest. If you must have an extended slide stop, get Glock's extended part. The Aro-Tek 'drop-in' extended magazine release is just a teflon-coated aluminum version of the G17L/24/20/21/29/30 part. Why bother paying more for metal? On the other hand, I really like the Aro-Tek Sure-Touch oversized mag release. It is only larger in surface area, not length. I have not found it prone to accidental release in the 6+ years of using them; I cannot say the same about some of the 1911 oversized mag buttons that I have used. The only problem is that you have to cut the frame in order to install it.

Old May 3, 1999, 11:24 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

Dan is correct, Their are TWO versions of the Slide stops (factory and extended).. the 17/17L stops have a vertical triangular extension on the top of them.

Furthermore, Harley is 100% correct in that any non-factory part on a Glock (except maybe pearce grip extenders...) are MUCH more trouble than they are worth.

Old May 4, 1999, 01:17 AM   #7
Cheapo

I've handled and shot a Glock with the field-expedient extended mag release: One from the wider-frame .45 ACP models.

It works great, requires no modifications, is totally reversible (just put the old one back in), and the stock spring is stiff enough that I noticed absolutely no tendency to dump the mag when you don't want it dumped.

Downsides are very minor: The corners are a bit sharp. (mayby try carefully melting them with a small flame at 3 mm distance?) And it makes re-holstering in the Glock plastic hoster a tiny bit tricky--it can catch on the holster instead of slipping inside it. There are several ways to fix that one...

The stock Glock "extended" or whatever slide stop seems to work just fine as a slide release. It's not just a stamping--it's the quality the steel that makes the difference.

The slide release on an Astra A-80 I once owned snapped off when it caught the slide after the last round of a mag one day. Sent it back to Interarms, and they said the steel had been excessively heat-treated, resulting in brittleness. That thing was at least twice as thick as the metal on a Glock slide stop.

Cheapo

------------------
Let us never forget that the only legitimate source of government power is the citizens. If WE cannot exercise a certain power, we cannot grant it to the state.
Old May 18, 1999, 01:39 AM   #8
James L

1995GMC,
Follow Harley's advice.
I had the Aro-Tec ext.slide release on my m19.
I was experiencing jams from a gun that had never jammed before.
I attributed it to my weak reloads and got out the bear loads for the next practice session. Still jams. After taking the gun down to it's basic parts....cleaning and inspecting every thing....re-assembly...and back out to shoot....jams. Thought I'd come down with a bad case of sissy wrist.
Finally figured out that the recoil and/or thumb position was throwing the longer release up... not far enough to cause the slide to stay back, but far enough to cause problems. The ext. release is now in my cousins pond and my 19 hasn't failed again.
James L.

[This message has been edited by James L (edited May 18, 1999).]