The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1
ZeSpectre

Reloading Mania!

Back in May the wife listened to my request and bought me a starting reloading kit for my birthday (RCBS single stage).

From then until now I've been processing the brass I had and what I could scrounge from the range. I've bought a good number of bullets and had several hundred given to me by other kind folks. Powder, primers, you know how it goes.

I found myself doing little dribs n' drabs of reloading work most nights when I get home since I've found that 20 min in the shop messing with that is a nice transition from work to home and then I'm more than happy to go spend the rest of the evening with the wife.

Well last night I noticed one of the shelves holding ammo cans was bowing down so I decided to actually do an inventory (not too tough since I "baggie" 100 rounds at a time).

The end result of the survey is that I seem to have reloader's mania :evil:

In 7 months I have (on a single stage press and with a hand primer)....
-Created 3,350 rounds (of various types in several pistol calibers)
-Created 31 crushed, misloaded, or generally screwed up rounds (all in a "bad ammo" box now)
-Processed an additional 1,340 pcs of brass that are now just sitting in a drawer ready to go
-And realized that I've pulled that black handle on the RCBS at LEAST 14,000 times
Old December 4, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
blrrobinson21

way to go, your on the right track.
Now go out and shoot something.
Old December 4, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
CrustyFN

I hope you trade arms so one doesn't end up twice as big as the other.
Rusty
Old December 4, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
the_right_reverend

don't get as bad as me I run a parking lot striping crew..... I turn necks while watching the paint dry
Old December 4, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
marshall623

I've been trying to come up with a light simple way to load in a motel while having to work out of town.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
AF_Reloader

HA! Thank God, I now know that I'm not the only one who has thought about portable reloading for on the road. Just think of all the case preparation I could get done while on I-5 headed back to Oregon (not while I'm driving)! I've got a bench-mounted reloading station, why not a Ford-mounted one?

I tell you what, reloading is a hobby for most of us, but I think that after a while it starts to affect our minds, just a little. I KNOW I'm not the only one here that's watched a shoot-em-up movie and thought "look at all that brass getting wasted!" Well, at least that's what I tell myself (and my wife).

It's the same with fly-tying (yes, all my hobbies are messy). Driving down the road and seeing roadkill, I can't help but think "look at all that hair going to waste."

I'm slightly curious if I'll be able to access TFL in 20 years, after my wife commits me to an institution.

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old December 6, 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
B-Maxx

Reloading while driving would probably be safer than the people I see around town texting while eating while putting on make-up.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Stargazer

Quote:
I've been trying to come up with a light simple way to load in a motel while having to work out of town.
I have used a wooden grenade box for years now to transport and use the press away from home. You can load enough stuff into that wooden box to do a couple of calibers, powder, primers and all. The press fits inside there as well and it bolts to the open side end when the box is on it's side. Set in a chair/side of the bed and that is you reloading bench.

M70 Web Page
Old December 7, 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
the_right_reverend

Quote:
I have used a wooden grenade box for years
I hope you painted it......... I use a old aluminum Night vision goggles case with "Property Of The US Government" stamped in the top as a tool box ...... Sometimes when I go thought secure area on the bases it causes a bit of a stir with the guards till they open it
Old December 7, 2008, 07:24 AM   #10
benzuncle

Stargazer, how 'bout a few pix of your "portable"? I'll bet I'm not the only one that has an enquiring mind.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Stargazer

Unfortunately the wooden box doubles as a cabinet on top of the reloading bench at home. I had glued wooden strips on the insides so I can slide in a thin shelf and make the box a nice cabinet when it is not being used portably. And right now there are gobs of stuff stacked on top of them!

I do have a full shot of the home bench setup though and the two wooden grenade boxes can be seen opened. You would make holes to mount the press from the opened side like they are here. The open door with a stack of magazines under it makes a good prop and if empty on the bottom your foot placed on the bottom inside helps hold it steady too.

M70 Web Page