The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1
glockcompact

Should You be Judged by the Amount of Firepower on You or by Crimes You've Committed?

I’ll try to explain my question as best I can. I have seen a couple of posts on hear judging people for the amount of firepower they wish to have in a particular situation. I.e. one thread had to do with carrying multiple weapons concealed, for example having two or possibly three weapons on your person. Another thread had to do with carrying two or three spare magazines for their semi-auto handgun. Another thread asking about carrying concealed at a public pool. Sometimes these people were criticized for there thoughts. Some people judging them for wanting to carry “that much firepower.” I ask why is it wrong to have more firepower than what you see reasonable. George Carlin once said, “Did you ever notice, anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is an a******.” I think this relates to us as gun owners and concealed carriers. John Doe goes to the public pool with his concealed carry permit and carrying an autoloader that holds 15 rounds plus he’s got two extra magazines on his person. He’s carrying 15+1 in the weapon plus another 30 rounds on him. Even though, he’s never committed a crime. Even though, he’s an upstanding citizen. Some of us might think that is extreme. But I ask, who are we to judge? We don’t know this person. For all we know he was a witness to a gang related murder, or murders, and he feels that the gang wants to take him down. As far as I’m concerned he’s lucky he lives in this great country so he has the capability to protect himself against such a threat. I don’t see any reason to judge someone on what there capabilities are with a particular setup, or how much firepower they may have concealed. I personally would love to have an SBR (short barreled rifle) but I don’t understand why I have to go through any red tape to get one. I have never committed any crime other than minor traffic violations. Why do we as people feel we should judge others on there capabilities and firepower because of the extreme small percentage of people that would do us wrong? I'm really surprised to see this from other pro-gun people.
I'm curious what you all think.
Thanks, Brit.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Bamashooter

Personally I dont care what other people carry. I always carry at least one extra mag on my person or in my vehicle when im out and about. If someone thinks they need 2 or 3 extra mags then who am I to judge.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:43 AM   #3
ep2621

I only carry one gun on me at a time. If somebody else wants carry 5 guns plus reloads, more power to them (no pun intended). What works for me may not work for next guy.
We are all on the same team here.
I think a lot of it is just people on here poking fun at the "mall ninja" types.
I agree 100 percent on the part you said about being glad we live in a place, America, where we have the choice.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old March 16, 2011, 07:46 AM   #4
kylen

I don't really care. And personally nothing to get worked up about either. Everyone has their reasons I suppose. Victim of a crime, former CIA, Mall Ninja, Rambo Jr., or something else. It's whatever.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Ronbert

It's still (sort of - except void where prohibited by law) a free country so folks can do a lot of things I don't understand.

The guy taking his kids to the mall with 3 full-sized service weapons and 3 reloads for each plus pepper spray, baton and flash-bangs on his bat-belt causes me to wonder about his grasp on reality.

Maybe it's like watching the beginning backpacker who hauls a cast-iron frying pan and cans of beans plus a full-sized axe on his first couple of backpack trips. He's working with the info he has now. He'll learn more soon.

I'll watch these guys from a distance, thanks.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Two thoughts:

1) I've mentioned it before that I don't understand the reasoning behind preparing for an event that is so rare that there are one or two examples (at most) in the modern history of the USA. This is why I don't carry 3 guns or spare mags. The odds of needing them are almost infinitesimally small. The odds of needing ANY gun are incredibly small, two or three, or reloads is just beyond my need to worry.

2) It's a free country, at least in theory. I can carry what I want, you can carry what you want. I can think you border on paranoia, you can think I'm foolishly unprepared. Freedom.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:45 AM   #7
ep2621

Quote:
I can carry what I want, you can carry what you want. I can think you border on paranoia, you can think I'm foolishly unprepared.
Now that's funny! True, but funny none the less.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old March 16, 2011, 10:19 AM   #8
gearhounds

To each his own, I suppose. I carry a medium size pistol, a second mag, a pair of kevlar soft cuffs, knife, cell phone, and a tac light everywhere I go. I don't advertise it, either verbally or physically, that I'm armed. If the excrement hits the revolving blades, I feel prepared, but everyone is free to act within their particular comfort level as long as it is discreet and safe IMO.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:34 PM   #9
rburch

Everyone should be free to carry what they want how they want within the laws. That said, I can see it going bad in court if you're carrying what the jury considers too much hardware.

Not saying I think you'd be charged in an otherwise legal SD shooting if you have 2-3 guns, but not all states have civil immunities on the books.

And imagine a jury made up of "normal people" odds of getting a group that knows firearms isn't likely. Confront them with the sobbing mother who talks about how "He was always such a sweet boy" and then show off your 3 guns with reloads for each, or the 50+ rounds of ammo you had on you.

Be pretty easy to make you look like a rambo wannaby out looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

Just something everybody needs to consider as they plan their carry loadout, because we live in a Lawsuit happy country.

BTW can only carry one handgun here in VA as we have a "Permit to carry A handgun concealed." But I do carry 1-2 spare mags when I carry my CZ PCR, and at least 1 Speed Strip when carrying my Taurus revolver.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:43 PM   #10
markj

You mean other people carry too? Dang whats the world coming too?

Carry how many and how much you wish. Whatever makes you happy makes me happy

Why should anyone care?
Old March 16, 2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Sefner

OP this is the internet, people will find something to criticize and troll about. It's what the internet does. Some people take this attitude to real life, too, but on the internet it is fairly more rampant.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:01 PM   #12
glockcompact

Quote:
OP this is the internet, people will find something to criticize and troll about. It's what the internet does. Some people take this attitude to real life, too, but on the internet it is fairly more rampant.
off subject - o.k I'm going to sound real ignorant here but - what defines a troll. I here this a lot and I make assumptions but I would like someone to tell me what it really is.
Old March 16, 2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Sefner

A troll is a poster, commenter, whatever, on the internet that makes a post for the sole purpose of getting an angry reaction. They may or may not believe what they are saying but they say it in such a way as the elicit a rise out of the audience (the rest of the forum, experts, people around them, etc).

For instance, say we get a poster that say "Hey TFL, I'm new to guns and I'm thinking about getting my first handgun, what should I get?" and someone replies,

"Get X_Brand gun because the rest are pretty much dirt and X_Brand is the best gun. Don't get Springfield cuz those are made by Mexicans in Brazil. Don't get 1911 cuz it's outdated and 45ACP is an outdated caliber. Don't get 9mm cuz it's a woman caliber. Don't get Glock because those are tupperware pieces of crap that explode in your hand. Don't get a Taurus because all of their guns are crap".

And I think you get the point.
Old March 16, 2011, 07:40 PM   #14
noelf2

From Wikipedia
Old March 16, 2011, 10:56 PM   #15
BGutzman

I carry what I think is appropriate for the situation. 95% of the time its a 45 and two spare mags, the remainder are my 460 Rowland if Im hunting (in bear country) or my 380 if Im donning a swim suit, or a business suit.

I do think that over penetration can be a important issue, especially in a urban environment...

I would carry two or maybe even three guns... "IF" I had a situation I could not avoid and I felt the threat justified it, so far I have never run into that situation...

I really dont bother with what other people carry... Carry a stick or a cannon, so long as its being used legally and safely I dont care..
Old March 17, 2011, 10:09 AM   #16
osallent

Imagine you shoot someone in self defense and you happen to have 5 loaded guns on you, and 10 spare magazines, tactical vest, etc, etc.

The criteria for self defense is that you have fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm, and the force used be proportional.

When you get in front of a jury, it would be easier for the prosecution to paint you as a crazy nut looking for an excuse to blast someone because of the huge arsenal you had on you. After all, a reasonable person only needs one gun as deterrence/self defense, and certainly no more than two. At least that's how the prosecutor will present the case to the jury. You've got to think about that!
Old March 17, 2011, 10:50 AM   #17
glockcompact

Quote:
rburch
That said, I can see it going bad in court if you're carrying what the jury considers too much hardware.
Quote:
osallent
Imagine you shoot someone in self defense and you happen to have 5 loaded guns on you, and 10 spare magazines, tactical vest, etc, etc.

The criteria for self defense is that you have fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm, and the force used be proportional.
These are valid points to me if your going way overboard. I still believe we shouldn't be too critical of what others may percieve as a threat. I myself rarely feel threatened. I don't know of any personal enemies that are out to get me personally. I just carry one pistol and more often than not it's a Kahr pm9. My other carry is my G23. With either weapon I carry 1 spare mag. I just feel that not everybodies story is the same. There are people out there that have been victims before. There are people out there that have had a very bad relationship with a disturbed individual. And I know there are people out there that probably have no real reason to be afraid and they just want to carry more than what I or someone else may feel is needed. Those type of people will probably buy a smaller gun next time after they realize how much of a pain it is to carry that much.
Old March 18, 2011, 03:33 AM   #18
Matt-tx

In a sense I don't care what anyone else carries as long as they're qualified to do so; everyone's situation is different. However, what I object too are these morons that post these "EDC" (Every Day Carry) videos on Youtube. For example, this jack-wagon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOA5f...eature=related

People like this I feel reflect horribly upon those of us that choose to carry (licensed) on a regular basis. In my opinion this guy and others like him should probably be disarmed and neutered.

As stated, I do think everyone's situation is different. Perhaps an individual lives in a bad part of town and the local pimps and drug-dealers are unhappy he/she is cooperating with the police. Maybe this individual should be heavily armed?

Regarding the Youtube videos and "EDC", apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this phenomenon is idiotic - here is a rather hilarious version of someone's "EDC" (love the cigarette lighter part):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6zR...eature=related

Edit:

One last thing I want to add is this:

How much hardware a person carries speaks directly to their level of skill, maturity, proficiency, and demeanor.

A Marine with a 6-shooter = 7 dead bad guys (6 shot, one beaten to death)
:-)

Last edited by Matt-tx; March 18, 2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old March 18, 2011, 01:55 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Two thoughts:

1) I've mentioned it before that I don't understand the reasoning behind preparing for an event that is so rare that there are one or two examples (at most) in the modern history of the USA. This is why I don't carry 3 guns or spare mags. The odds of needing them are almost infinitesimally small. The odds of needing ANY gun are incredibly small, two or three, or reloads is just beyond my need to worry.

2) It's a free country, at least in theory. I can carry what I want, you can carry what you want. I can think you border on paranoia, you can think I'm foolishly unprepared. Freedom.
Quote:
I can carry what I want, you can carry what you want. I can think you border on paranoia, you can think I'm foolishly unprepared.
Now that's funny! True, but funny none the less.
more true than funny.......too many folks think there's a BG behind every windshield and bush in the trailer park
Old March 18, 2011, 02:18 PM   #20
4runnerman

One Pistol;,One extra Mag..In 50 years i have never even had to run from someone. Im with Pete here,The chances are so small.
Old March 18, 2011, 04:28 PM   #21
markj

I gotta call BS on this guy, he has like 3 rifles? an AK 47 he carries everywhere? with a bayonet? now thats funny stuff right there.

Young kids making movies and dreaming........
Old March 18, 2011, 05:15 PM   #22
Wag

Regardless of whether you carry an arsenal on you or a pea shooter, the prosecutor is going to do everything he can to paint you out as a nutjob on a vigilante's patrol. It simply behooves you to get the best attorney you can find to defend you in front of a jury.

Here in our state, we're only allowed one concealed but if we also were to carry open, that would be okay.

I use the Beretta on occasion but no spare mags. If I carry the 220, I carry one spare. If figure I'll either be done or dead by the time I expend more than about 15 rounds anyway, even with multiple assailants.

--Wag--
Old March 18, 2011, 05:23 PM   #23
kraigwy

I carry a 5 shot revolver in my pocket, normal with no reloads.

How ever if I carried something like a Glock, I'd proably want 5 or 6 and a wheel barrel full of magazines just to be on the safe side.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 18, 2011, 05:25 PM   #24
Blackshirts

It's all about scenario.

If someone is bringing 15+1 with 2 extra clips into the public pool I will judge the situation so fast and my kids will not be going there. You are REQUIRED to judge. That is how you keep your family safe. I am going to think that if someone needs that much firepower at a public pool then they are either looking for trouble or trouble is looking for them and I do not want to be around them. Is it right? I don't care. It isn't my job to spare the feelings of someone who wants to carry. It's my job to protect my family.

Put that same gun and ammo load into the hands of someone on their way to the shooting range and I will then say "where's the rest?".