The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
GASCHECK

Burning powder temp?

Loaders:

And that's just what I'm asking. Say for the .45 Auto cartridge.

Thanks! Gascheck
Old September 9, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

810.93 Kelvin

Just a guess though...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old September 9, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
GASCHECK

That's about a thousand degrees, according to an online conversion site.
Gotta be much hotter than that, I would think . .

Gascheck
Old September 10, 2009, 02:16 AM   #4
snuffy

Burning where, inside a rifle cartridge, or out in the open on my sidewalk?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 10, 2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Flame temperature of smokeless powder is about 2700 F when burning properly in the chamber. Less when unconfined, but I don't have a number for that.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

That's about right, depending on powder brand, except the units should be °C. Its about 2775°C (3050 K) in the chart below, or almost 5000°F (5487°R). I remember 20 years or so ago, Winchester had ads bragging their Ball® powders burned at a lower temperatures than conventional stick powders for better barrel life. Their example claimed 5000°F for conventional stick powder and 4500°F for their powder, IIRC?

I have no faith in memories that old, so I poked around until I found the below temperature chart from a U.S. Army Research Lab study of ceramic "nozzles" (actually throat inserts) for extending barrel life. That study is here, if you're interested? They use a 37 mm chamber for testing. The introduction explains that modern propellants can shoot out some barrels in as little as 174 rounds. Presumably those are bigger guns than most of us shoot, probably ones on their 37 mm test bed, and it is the reason they were interested in the inserts. You can see from the long time frame that this chart plots a really slow powder, where most of what we shoot in small arms will find a peak pressure and temperature in half a millisecond. However, that leads to the temperatures and pressures peaks being similar for the two circumstances, after you scale it all.

Some astute reader will no doubt realize those temperature peaks are about twice the melting point of steel. Not to worry. The study includes some rather festive looking differential equations describing the temperature difference normal (perpendicular) to a chamber or bore surface. This is a fancy way of saying there is a temperature gradient between the surface and the hottest part of the gas. That happens because the steel has much higher specific heat than the gas, so it cools the gas at its surface more than the gas can raise its temperature. Nonetheless, you do get a couple thousandths of an inch of heat penetration into the steel that raises its temperature enough to expand it significantly, and that rapid surface expansion, while the base metal underneath is not expanded, causes those alligator skin looking cracks you see in borescope photos of well-used throats.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; September 10, 2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo fix and addition
Old September 11, 2009, 12:30 AM   #7
GASCHECK

Thank you gentlemen.

Gascheck