The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 20, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
john_55

Alternative cleaners and oils

Hi all, after lurking here for a while, this is my first post.

After doing a bit of research over the past few months, I have found that most of the gun solvents and oils are pretty bad for us. So I am trying to come up with some alternatives for my hand guns and rifles. I have seen Gunzilla, which looks promising and I may try some. Ballistol which also looks good but does contain some isobutyl alcohol. And mpro7 which is decent, but does contain some toxic stuff. What are some alternatives? I have heard of soap and water, but not sure how this would work on a revolver or semi pistol. Another is olive oil and fish oil, which would probably be fine as oils. The cleaners are really the worst. I use gloves/mask/eye protection when I clean but the residues still remain on the gun, no matter how good you wipe down, so I am concerned and am looking for alternatives.

Any ideas? Thoughts?
Old November 20, 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
vostracker

simple green

John_55: You might try Simple Green, Orange clean, etc and warm water to clean with. Seems its preferred by the gunsmith on the AGI videos. I'v tried it and like it alot. You do have to make sure you dry the firearm and parts either by heat/warm air or blow dry them with a air hose and then spray them with something like Breakfree, and wipe off the excess. The cleaner will remove all the oil/lub. Simple Green is non-toxic and doesnt have a strong chemical smell.
Old November 20, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
john_55

my concern with the water/soap is that I do not feel comfortable taking my revolver apart and only do a basic fieldstrip of the pistol. Would I be able to dry the internal parts?
Old November 20, 2007, 10:28 PM   #4
orionengnr

I think you are over analyzing this. Unless you have a serious medical condition, you are quite well protected by the gear you are using already. In fact, you are using more protective equipment than do 98+% of the board members. Most of them have been doing it for many years and most of us are still alive

People working in Wal-Mart auto lube express in CA are exposed to a far greater variety of chemicals for 8 hours per day than you are seeing for 15 minutes once a week. And they are doing so legally, in compliance with the strictest OSHA regs in the country.
Old November 20, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
dbsoundguy

John_55..

I agree with orionengnr...
and i see where you are coming from also
its very good to aware of this now days..very good post

Alot of people are becoming more conscious of chemicals( i know because i am in Construction "Painting Company".... i use more stuff than most people even want to know about...)

There are still alot of guys useing the old stuff...(now the womenfolk in the house might agree you though..) oh the smell:barf:...lol
You can where gloves,if you don't want it on you..i were them now when i am around chemicals
You should check out this post on here..might be interesting...i got some of this and the reveiws in here are correct...
I will be posting my own review shortly in there:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=253758

Devin
Old November 21, 2007, 08:58 AM   #6
john_55

thanks for the feedback. I agree that I am over concerned. I am paranoid about that stuff. I am one of those people that uses organic chemical free soap/shampoo/house hold cleaners and only eats organic food, etc. I just figure that there has to be some 'safer' ways. Most of the products I have tried work very well but I just thought maybe there was as easier way to clean that wasnt harmful.

Last edited by john_55; November 21, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old November 21, 2007, 03:51 PM   #7
dbsoundguy

I used to be the same way to a degree; but i gave up,because i work in a industry that just does not work for organic stuff, and life is to short anyways..
you are not paranoid by any means, more people should be aware chemicals and stuff..
read that post, this stuff sure works good

PS..the wife did not even know i was cleaning my guns...what a bonus for me..lol

Devin
Old November 24, 2007, 01:02 PM   #8
MADISON

Have you looked into Ed's Red?

Have you looked into Ed's Red?
Go into Google and type Ed's Red for the formula.
It is a homemade formula of eqyak parts of:
K-1 Keroosenne
Varsol/Oil Based Paint Thinner
Dextron 2 or 3
There are 2 other add ons but this is all I use.
Old November 24, 2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Don P

Enviro friendly

stuff, you may want to look at this. I have some and it seems to work well here's the link,
http://www.topduckproducts.com/default.aspx.
let us know if this fits your needs.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 25, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
john_55

yea, ive checked out gunzilla. they seem pretty good. right now i think the best bets are gunzilla/ballistol/mpro7 - at least commercially. i wish there was something natural but i dont really see too many options.
Old December 2, 2007, 10:44 AM   #11
KEN K

mineral oil

I use mineral oil on my guns and it works fine , it also has no odder and since it can be used as a laxative I'm not to worried about getting it on my skin and works as a good hand lotion too, by the time your done oiling your hands are nice and soft.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Michaelm45

Take a look at Weapon Shield CLP. Claims to be non toxic?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=253758
Old December 2, 2007, 12:34 PM   #13
TNT_Shooter

Gunzilla is very safe. It does not even ship as hazmat material.

TNT
Old December 2, 2007, 02:14 PM   #14
TDSUS

IMHO Brian Enos's Slide Glide is the way to go. Been using it for years in everything from carry to comp guns.
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html
Old December 2, 2007, 03:00 PM   #15
ZeSpectre

When I first get a firearm I will often detail strip it right down to the frame and give it a good cleanup to remove all factory packing grease and such.

I USED to do it with a 3-to-1 ratio of HOT water and Simple Green. However I have discovered that this is pretty corrosive and you MUST rinse well and dry almost immediately or you will get rust (especially on springs) so I don't recommend this as a regular practice anymore.

More recently I tested Gunzilla and for that initial cleanup I would strongly recommend using Gunzilla over my old "simple green" method.

As for lubricants, I used Breakfree CLP for years and was satisfied until I eventually discovered Weapon Shield CLP. I still use other chemicals to cut copper fouling, but am completely sold on Weapon Shield for the rest of my lubrication needs.

I did a Militec-1 and Weapon Shield testing (What Lube is This?)

I also did a more recent test of Gunzilla (Product testing and review: Gunzilla)

So in summary, I use Gunzilla and Outers Foaming bore cleaner for cleanup and WeaponShield CLP (and their lithium grease) for lubrication. I have found this works very well for me, your mileage may vary.
Old December 5, 2007, 09:07 PM   #16
rgates

Weapon Shield. Fantastic at cleaning and lube and even protects the outer blued finish better than silicon cloths. I just looked at the bottle and it does state "Non-toxic and environmentally friendly". There is no chemical smell. I can clean as many as I want now in the Kitchen not using the exhaust fan and my wife still doesn't complain. She's commented while I was cleaning that she's glad I discovered it and stopped trying to run her out of the house from solvent fumes.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:02 AM   #17
MADISON

Gun Cleaners

Go to www. google.com and type in "Ed's Red
Equal parts of:
VARSOL/Oil based paint thinner
K-1 Kerosene
Dextron 2 or 3
Old December 8, 2007, 06:02 PM   #18
bushidomosquito

I've heard that olive oil works fine, but only in Berettas and Bennellis.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old December 10, 2007, 10:06 PM   #19
Spade Cooley

I met an old timer at the range many years ago who saw someone using hoppies and had a fit. This old timer had built many a gun and most likely forgot more about guns than many of us will ever know. He advised using diesel fuel stating that Hoppies would eat metal if left on too long. If you want to make the diesel fuel a little bit more oily, add a little bit of motor oil to the mix. I have used it for years on black powder guns after cleaning with dish soap and water and have never had any rust. It also leaves a fine film in the barrel when patched.
Old December 14, 2007, 04:13 PM   #20
john_55

After a lot of research I have come the following conclusions....

These are all rated in terms of toxicity:

Best CLP: Gunzilla - made from plants and msds shows that its non-toxic (no CAS#s) although I still want to know whats in it to make sure its all from plants.

Good cleaner: Mirachem - msds shows non toxic. is water based. contains no toxic chemicals as defined by the US. Get a large free sample here: http://www.ct1w.mirachem.com/topics/...5/0015-100.htm

Alternative Oils -

Olive oil
Mineral oil
Maybe Fish oil - cant find any hard proof, but it appears may be a top rust preventer, better than anything else

Runners Up:

These claim to be non-toxic yet contain toxic materials:

Ballistol - Is toxic, but less toxic than most - contains Isobutyl Alcohol
M-Pro 7 - Is toxic, but less toxic than most - contains Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether

How I determined all of this: Looking at the msds. If there was a CAS# for a chemical, I researched it. Here is a link to most of the solvents: http://www.usa829.org/USA/solvents.htm.
Old December 15, 2007, 07:04 AM   #21
TNT

Quote:
He advised using diesel fuel stating that Hoppies would eat metal if left on too long. If you want to make the diesel fuel a little bit more oily, add a little bit of motor oil to the mix.
funny you mention that I seen the Iraqis here use diesel to clean their weapons all the time
Old December 15, 2007, 10:51 AM   #22
orionengnr

Quote:
He advised using diesel fuel stating that Hoppies would eat metal if left on too long.
Think he's been sniffing the Hoppes. It may have eaten his brain, but it will not eat metal. I have guns which have been almost continually coated with Hoppe's for 20 years plus. I now use Eezox as a CLP, because it is a very good cleaner, very good lubricant, and an awesome protectant.

Note that I have red that Hoppes will get under nickel plating finish and "lift" the plating, but IIRC that is possible with any solvent, and is not damaging to the metal itself.
Old January 13, 2008, 05:52 PM   #23
john_55

Finally had a chance try out Gunzilla today after making it to the range this afternoon. Used it on my revolver and semi. It cleaned really well and seems just as good as all the other cleaning products I have tried if not better. I am glad it worked so well because it is the most non-toxic cleaner I could find....plus its a CLP, which is a + for me. I went through half of a 1.9 oz bottle for the 2 guns, and I tend to overuse my cleaners, so I need to order a large bottle of it. I hope the rust protection of it holds up well compared to others.

A quick side note, I have been wiping my carry piece with olive oil on a weekly basis and it seems to work really well as an oil.
Old January 13, 2008, 06:34 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Guns are not "green." They require oils and solvents.
I agree that we would want to reduce toxicity as much as possible, but remember, you are already dealing with lead and heavy metals.
Besides, if this stuff were as toxic as they would have us believe I would have been dead a dozen times 40 years ago.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; January 13, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old January 13, 2008, 08:36 PM   #25
ZeSpectre

Might also want to use gloves like I do.