The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 5, 2012, 05:06 AM   #26
TankBu5ter94

Another vote for P-MAGS we have multiple. They have been very reliable considering some of the places we've shot at, plus they are really easy to tear down and clean.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:07 AM   #27
Crow Hunter

Quote:
This^^^

The number you're looking for is a CAGE (Civilian and Government Entity) code. The presence of this number means that the Gov't has officially designated them as parts or items for use by our troops.

PMAGS should carry a CAGE code, as well as authentic mil-std magazines.
Technically, the CAGE code just means they are allowed to sell to the government and that is how the government "remembers" who manufactures what.

Commercial and Government Entity. (CAGE)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cage_code

It doesn't mean they have ever passed any special requirements or anything. Only that they have gone through the process of acquiring a CAGE code so they can sell to the government.

It is useful for determining the actual manufacturer of an item though. For instance all NHMTG, OKAY and current production Colt magazines have CAGE Code 33710 which is OKAY Ind's code.

There have been some jerks that have taken junk aluminum bodies and put Colt or other manufacturer floor plates on them and sold them for way more than they are worth. So it pays to check CAGE codes if you are suspicious.

Also, the new SCAR 17 mags are all stamped 04TQ4, which is D&H Industries CAGE Code, which means although they are in a FN box, they are made in the US by D&H Industries.

For reference, MAGPULs CAGE code is 1LX50.

Good luck.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:33 AM   #28
Justice06RR

Pmags or Lancer mags. Buy a few GI mags also, they are usually cheaper than the polymer alternatives.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:54 AM   #29
Theohazard

It appears I'm in the minority for thinking P-Mags are complete junk because of those plastic feed lips. In my opinion, Lancers are so much better because their metal feed lips don't eventually stretch out.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:15 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

PMags, but I admit not to have used them in pouches/vests much. I think the only time I did I used AK pouches which are inherently larger and they fit well enough. If you were using them in pouches designed for aluminum AR mags I can see how they might not fit well.

The lancer magazine looks interesting. may try to get a hold of one to look at. A bit more expensive AND I don't like how they change the name on the 30 round to "Advanced War..." Not helping any one out with that crap.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; November 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:40 PM   #31
dgludwig

I've had good luck using C-Product magazines.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:18 AM   #32
madcratebuilder

USGI 30rd from D&H are $9. Grey or black Teflon with the new followers.
Old November 11, 2012, 09:05 AM   #33
oryx

I have a lot of pmag in 20 & 30 rd and they have been ok, but in competition I have had failures during mag changes with the pmags. The issue for me was during the change, when I tapped on the bottom to ensure it was seated, the round would come out of the mag partially (pointing upwards) and when the bolt is released the round would jam. I only use them for general plinking now.

I pretty much stick to colt and brownells aluminum mags, now
Old February 9, 2013, 06:30 PM   #34
FireForged

I have been shooting AR's since the 1980's and I have used all manner of ammo and magazines. I have made many errors and fell for many gimicks and brilliant marketing.

Here is my list of Magazines I would bet my life on: ( no particular order)

H&K 30 round (oem followers)

*USGI 30 ( except coopers, I dont like coopers)
* green followers or magpul followers

USGI 20 (oem metal follower)

Pmags of any kind

D&L sports 30 rounder (oem follower)

When I say USGI I mean actual companies who have been specifically contracted to and have supplied magazines to the troops. NOT usgi style or usgi spec or any other buz word that is other than contract mags.

If it doesnt appear on the my list, I will not use them.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:45 PM   #35
FALPhil

Quote:
I'm loving the Lancer L5 AWM mags. They've proven to be as reliable and more durable as pmags. I like the L5 AWM mags because they ar made of polymer with STEEL FEED LIPS with a self leveling follower. I've seen too many PMAG's fail due to the feed lips.

Long story short, when I have to trust my life with my gear, I take my L5 AWM mags.
That's my experience too. The old L5s were better than Pmags, and the AWMs are even better.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #36
Puddle

ELander magazines: http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/earm30%20w.htm

They are fantastic. Steel. Indestructible. Reliable. A little on the heavy side, but it is well worth the trade off for extreme reliability.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:54 AM   #37
MarkCO

In order of preference for has to work...

Lancer AWM, AR-Stoner Stainless, PMags, Aluminum.

I tend to use PMags in competition because they are cheap and realiable and I knoow how to tell the feed lips are starting to roll out. They get stepped on, lost etc at matches as well.

When the suppressor or night rifle gets loaded up, only Lancers. The .450BM, only AR-Stoners.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:39 PM   #38
Revoliver

I am really surprised no one's mentioned Troy Battlemags.

I love mine, fantastic magazines.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:44 AM   #39
Justice06RR

After some more range time (indoor, 3-gun) using a slew of different mags, I'm now leaning towards Lancer's and GI mags (C-products, Brownells, etc). I was a big fan of Pmags, but somehow they do not always hold the bolt open after the last round, although the GI and Lancer mags do.

I'm not sure why; I used different Pmags and most of them are brand new. Its not the rifle or ammo either because I used different ammo on all of the mags, and the rifle works flawlessly.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:23 PM   #40
Drhc116

I vote p-mags or lancers. But it is hard to beat a good ole cheap GI mag
Old February 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #41
Brotherbadger

I like Pmags, but pretty much everything mentioned will work very well. Lancers, Troy, Pmags, can't go wrong with any of those.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:25 PM   #42
BillyJack3

Quote:
It appears I'm in the minority for thinking P-Mags are complete junk because of those plastic feed lips. In my opinion, Lancers are so much better because their metal feed lips don't eventually stretch out.
Pics or personal experience? With the millions sold, I've never seen failure and I don't know anyone personally that has either. People question this a lot but aside from a couple of situations, this seems to be a non-issue.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:22 PM   #43
MarkCO

Pmags...I've had one go full dump and a few just start to double feed. Use them enough (shooting, not just storing them) and they will start to roll out the feedlips.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:31 PM   #44
Panfisher

I have one 30 rd mag, cheap aluminum that was given to me a couple weeks before things went crazy. Otherwise I much prefer the look and feel of the 20's, I bought a couple Stoner 20's and they have been great. Can you replace the old style follower with a new anti-tilt follower? I have a couple that are not anti--tilt and they don't always lock open on the last shot, thought it would be a simple fix if I can find a new follower.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #45
iraiam

G.I. mags

I have some Pmags and think they are good magazines.

Most of my mags are standard G.I. 30 round magazines, going back to before the 1994 AWB. They still work perfectly. Specifically I have many Center Industries, and Labelle.

I also have some new ASC and Defense Solutions Group that have not been used yet.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason