The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 4, 2001, 07:47 PM   #1
Dead Aim

I just got a new rifle and its all scoped out. Before i sight it in i was thinking of pulling the scope off and just shooting with open sights. I want to get a feel for the gun and work on my accuracy without the scope. Scopes arent always reliable so when im in a crunch i could just yank her off and shoot her naked. Do you think this is a good idea or should i just stick to keeping it scoped. Are there any other ways i can practice accuracy with my new rifle.
peace out dead aim
Old January 5, 2001, 02:32 AM   #2
boing

Consider a see-thru mount set-up that will let you use the iron sights without removing the scope. I strongly agree with being equally proficient with irons and glass.
Old January 6, 2001, 10:43 AM   #3
Shin-Tao

You should absolutly master your rifle with the iron sights.

Old January 6, 2001, 09:51 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I wear tri-focals, so iron sights are out of the question. I have a Leupold Vari-X II that's 30 years old and just as good as new, so I dunno what to tell you about reliability. (It's one of several equally reliable scopes.)

Anyhow, once you are zeroed in for whatever range you care for (for something like an '06 or equivalent, 2" high at 100 yards is dead on at 200 yards), forget the bench rest.

Depending on what sort of shooting area is available, I like beer-can sized targets and off-hand shooting. (Nothing wrong, of course, with sitting or kneeling.) The idea is to duplicate as much as possible what you'll be doing during hunting season.

You get where you can regularly hit beer cans, offhand, at 100 yards, and I guarantee you that you'll eat real good.

, Art
Old January 6, 2001, 10:00 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Congrats.

What rifle did you get and what caliber?
Yes - if your rifle has iron sights, learn to use them first.
Old January 9, 2001, 06:59 PM   #6
Dead Aim

I got a lower model savage calibered in 30 ought. When that gun goes off it will send a chill down your spine and hunting season isnt underway until you hear that cannon go off. I just want to get good at shooting it without the scope because there are so many beginners that have no concept of shooting a gun. All they do when they shoot at something is put it in the crosshairs and shoot, which is ok, but for me it aint. I want that weapon to be an extension of my body,which it is, but its not the biggest, if you know what i mean. I want to bring hunting to a more basic level. I would hunt with my knife if it were legal but i dont have the patientce for that crap.
peace out spank
dead aim
Old January 10, 2001, 12:36 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Even if you intend to shoot it exclusively with the scope, you owe it to yourself to try the iron sights and ensure that they're sighted in properly. If you're ever in the field and the scope fails you, you'll still have a useable rifle and not just a "boom-stick."