The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Waketurb007

First Time Out With My Chrony.....and I Shot It!!!!

Well, the title of my thread is a bit misleading, more on that later.

Today was my first day out with my chrony. I must say that it was really interesting to see the direct results of my reloading experiments. What I mean by experiments was same bullet, but different powder and primer combinations. I found the results to be somewhat interesting.

9mm, 115 grain berry's platted bullets for all 3 sets. I had 2 powders Unique and Hodgon Clay's. 3 different primers (CCI, Federal, and Wolf). All bullets were set at 1.14. Here are my results:

3.6 grains of Hodgon Clay's with CCI primers = 1027 fps average
3.6 grains of Hodgon Clay's with Federal primers = 1034 fps average
4.6 grains of Unique with Wolf primers = 1030 fps average

I guess I expected to see a little bit more of a difference in my average fps.

As far a shooting my Chrony, I now know why people suggested that I consider using wooden rods to hold up the diffusers
Old September 9, 2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Tex S

I have yet to own a chrony, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that shoot them.

What am I missing here?

This reply was not meant to be disrespectful in any way.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Crosshair

Quote:
I have yet to own a chrony, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that shoot them.

What am I missing here?
You have to precisely place a bullet only a few inches above the chronograph for best results. Most sights and scopes are not calibrated for putting a bullet somewhere so close to the muzzle so there is allot of guessing.

Consider it similar to doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9Ze...eature=related

Easy to do if you know what you're doing, but very easy to screw up and cause damage.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Uncle H

My chrony has had 2 new sets of screens. Both the original set and the replacement set fell to my .44 mag.

I use a rest now and line it up VERY carefully.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
vsgonzo

I havent shot my first chrony yet (knock on wood). Dont see whats so hard. Stupid thing is only 10-15ft infront. Line it up and aim just below the top of the shade. Thing is to. Line up ur chrony with your target. On a tripod so that where your aim just under shade. Hitting targets at 50 and 100yards and no damage to chrony. Well i guess oneday ill shoot mine
Old September 9, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6
lmccrock

Quote:
I guess I expected to see a little bit more of a difference in my average fps.
There should not be much difference changing primers. If you change the powder weight by 10%, and the fps does not change, then there might be a problem. If you were trying to get a particular velocity with Clays and Unique, then why not match?

Quote:

What am I missing here?

This reply was not meant to be disrespectful in any way.
No disrespect taken. There are 2 kinds of chronograph owners: those who have shot their chrono, and those who will.

I usually set a target up behind the chrono. If I can hit the bullseye at 5 yds, no problem.....unless I am in a hurry and skip setting up the target and it is hot and and the gun is sweaty and sweat gets in my eyes and I jerk the trigger. At least on mine (CED), the sensors and the electronics are separate so it was a $27 mistake not a $150 mistake.

Lee
Old September 10, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

my father in law had one ( new in box ) one of the 1st ever made that I got along with his reloading stuff... I just reciently started using it, & it works great, though one shot at a time, no averages, no strings, etc.

one of the areas they have improved is the sky screens... mine consists of 2 "cards" aproximately 6" X 10" folded into a "C" shape with a plastic piece that inserts into slots in the cards... the holes to shoot through are 1.5" X 3" ovals...

I made a 12' long "table" out of a 2 X 10 that hieght adjusts with threaded rods about 1.5' on all 4 corners, so I can place my target backer down range, place the chrony on the end, & adjust the table height with a ratchet so that I can look through both little holes & see my bullseye of the target...

sounds easy... but I still have 2 little 22 caliber holes in the back card, where the bullet went through the front hole, but didn' make it through the 2nd hole... this was with several 100 rounds down range, all with iron sight guns... it gets even more challenging when you get to scoped rifles, where the scopes axis is a couple inches higher than the bore...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 10, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Hardtarget

Seems you could draw a mock up of the chrony to learn what the sight picture should be. Shoot to learn on the mock up. Make the mistakes on something CHEAP.

Would this work?

Mark
Old September 10, 2009, 11:39 PM   #9
fastforty

Believe me, it'es easy to do & it happens without a moment's notice

I'd had mine for a year or two & plugged it with a .22 (not the first shot of the string either). Luckily, the sensor didn't break and the plastic case snapped back together. Only evidence is a little hole & a twist tie wrapped around it
Old September 11, 2009, 05:22 AM   #10
bpratl

I have never shot mine but; a friend did with his .45 . A lot of glue and reassembly put it back together and it still works.

Bob
Old September 11, 2009, 06:56 AM   #11
3ddiver

it does seem easy to shoot thru a chrony but I found it easier to shoot it. First time out I shot it once and my buddy shot it twice(just mangled the rods). Now we use a rest and wooden rods and have missed it everytime so far.
Old September 11, 2009, 04:21 PM   #12
medalguy

I've shot the rods on mine not once but twice, once with .45 and once with an M1 I just bought and went to try out when I was testing loads for another rifle and wanted to check out the HXP ammo I just got. It's easy, try it and see!