The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1
ZVP

I went to buy a gun today...

I went to a new gun shop and his prices were too steep (trying to recover start-up costs).
went to the old stand-by shop and OMG! it looked like a Ladies Bathroom at the cinema during intermission! Standing room only, literally had to wait in line to buy ammo and they were out of everything!
The guy told me that he sold 40 guns in the first hour of business! Mind you this is a gun shop in Turlock Calif a small shop but a good one.
They have been like this and it's getting worse since all the Obama threats of "doing something" with gun control. Business is crazy, people are treeified and buying guns for several reasons but they seem to think gun ownership will get shut off soon.
Me? I just want another gun but I too think that bad social uphevial is not beyond the imagination and civil unrest is possible but not probable. I just want another gun to play with.
Thank goodness I have my sweet 2" Chief and a good Ruger Vaquero for fun, I have several .22's and even a .25 pocket gun. Glad I have some because it's a real bad time to buy a gun right now.
Another thing ammo jumped up over $9 aversge par box for basic .38 Specials!
DO you think Obama made some secret deal with the manufacturers and gets a kick-back for running gun and ammo prices up??? Wouldn't that be a Hoot?
ZVP
Old January 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
baddarryl

Just wait until the Repubs and NRA put at least some brakes on his agenda. A year from now, or maybe 4 the market will be flooded with tons of barely fired used guns from this frenzy! Laying low for now!
Old January 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3
glenncal1

I am lucky that I stocked up on ammo this summer when I found many of the calibers that I shoot on sale and could use the once fired brass for me new reloading set up, will wait until things calm down before I buy more reloading supplies. I sent 150 rounds of steel cased .45acp down range yesterday afternoon, just 'cause.

Many K and N Frames
Old January 11, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
KMAX

I wouldn't count on a huge supply of unused guns when Repubs regain control. I would expect a lot of folks to learn from this mess and not wanting to get caught unprepared. I also wouldn't count on the Repubs for much anyway. I think that they all come out of the same pot.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 11, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Mr.Scott

Ammo prices aren't up except at dealers trying to maximize profits. I just bought 400 rounds of federal. 223 for $150 at Walmart and 100 round boxes of 9mm is still $20
Old January 11, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Rmart30

[QUOTE] I would expect a lot of folks to learn from this mess and not wanting to get caught unprepared.[/QUOTE

Hopefully this was a eye opener to a lot of people on why you don't wait until a situation rises before you decide you need to become pro active.

I was in walmart 2 weeks ago and a older retired guy and his early 20's grandson were inquiring about ammo. 22 of all brands was gone as well as 38. Heard him say he had owned guns for 50+ years and now he didnt have any ammo to use in them. Never thought he needed to buy more than one box of ammo at a time. Times are a changin folks.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:37 PM   #7
ripnbst

Welcome to Jan 2013
Old January 11, 2013, 04:47 PM   #8
LockedBreech

I refused to pay any inflated prices. I did, however, backorder a good number of magazines from Brownells and MidwayUSA at normal prices. The catch is that they won't be in the mail 'til February/March.

I have, on backorder at normal prices...

2x Magpul Gen 3 30-round AR-15 PMags w/window
1x Lancer Systems L5 AWM translucent 30-round AR-15 magazine
1x Brownell's brand aluminum 30-round AR-15 magazine with CS spring
1x Beretta 17-round factory extended magazine for my PX4 .40
2x Beretta 15-round factory 92FS magazines
1x Mec-Gar 16-round magazine for CZ-75
1x Mec-Gar 18-round flush-fit magazine for Sig P226

I actually don't own a 92, CZ-75, or P226 yet, but they are parts of my collection I am going to add for 100% certain when money allows, and I don't want the 10-round neutered versions when I get them.

That's all the buying I'm going to do. I was barely able to afford those. Luckily I already have decent stashes of .40 and .223.

It'd be nice if this could all blow over. And it will if the House republicans and blue dog democrats hold their ground.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:57 PM   #9
BigJimP

People should buy what they want...but in my area / the shops are definitely busy .....but its the low end stuff that is flying off the shelves..../ and a lot of the buyers are just panicing...and buying whatever they find - with no rhyme or reason - and little if any understanding of what they're looking at or buying.

My buddy's shop sold one of the S&W 460 XVR revolvers on Tue ( its been in the shop for at least a year...)....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...7_757751_image

8 3/8" barrel ...X Frame.../ and the guy that bought it said he had never fired a revolver, never owned a handgun, but that he had been to the range and fired some .22's and some 9mm's in semi-autos .... - but he bought it because it looked cool ( and it does ) ...and because it'll fire 3 calibers.... .460 S&W Mag, .454 Casull and .45 Colt....He paid $ 1,250 for the gun - and bought a box of each caliber ( 20 rds per box )...for about another $ 150 ...and $ 140 in tax .../ and was shocked to find out he had to wait about 10 days...since he had no concealed weapons permit.....but he paid for it / said he hopes to have it next week....

he bought it purely as a knee jerk reaction to all of the stuff in the press about AWB's ...and he just wanted to buy something....ok !!

There are still a lot of very good guns out there ...especially some of the upper end models from companies like Sig ....and on good revolvers ...and both used and new.

Inventories on AR's is low...and on a lot of popular poly frame handguns.../ but if the overreaction would stop ...and folks would just relax a little ....I think a lot of this will just blow over....

.....and I think the guy with the XVR ....will be back, looking to sell it back to the shop, when he realizes how much recoil that beast is going to have...8 3/8" barrel and compensated regardless....

Last edited by BigJimP; January 11, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:41 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

In Michigan - it was the same way a week an a half ago when I was there and in several LGS. I'm now out in AZ for the rest of the winter - same story here. I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson yesterday - they had a shipment of CCI 22 mini mags come in and i was hoping to pick up about a 1,000 rounds as I shoot my 22s now more than anything else due to ammo prices. Their shipment came in but customers were limited to two boxes (2 - 100 round boxes). When I was there people were two and three deep at the handgun counter and there must have been 40 to 50 waiting for service. Shotgun ammo was jumping off the shelves as well.

Like you, I've been looking to pick up another handgun - I've got my eye on several different 22 pistols. But, I'm not going to stand in long lines - especially when the models I'm looking for have consistently sold out at the shops I've looked in. As mentioned, once this all sifts out - there are going to be a lot of handguns and long guns that will be laying in night stands and leaned up in closets that will never be used. It's just kind of crazy.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 11, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
EdInk

If Feinstein, Obama and the rest get their way don't plan on even being able to buy anykind of black rifle that hasn't been severally neutered. Pull up the planned AWB she plans to propose. The media is feeding to the "evil of guns" hype really bad right now. (IMO to help it further the anti-agenda.)

My hope for now is that at least certain parts of it won't pass but it looks like some seriously bad stuff is going to be passed.

Without getting too political, I truly feel that Obama will strip away as many of our rights as possible and his followers (like Feinstein and Biden) will do everything they can to do remove our tools to defend those rights. All at the financial expense of Americans who's GRANDPARENTS HAVEN'T even been born yet.

Tough times are ahead my friends.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:37 PM   #12
JVaughn

Quote:
Without getting too political, I truly feel that Obama will strip away as many of our rights as possible and his followers (like Feinstein and Biden) will do everything they can to do remove our tools to defend those rights.
I wonder that Obama isn't Feinstein and Reid's follower, not the other way around.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
EdInk

That is a very real possibility. Regardless, our guns (and future of our nation) are in danger from these truly horrible politicians.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:34 PM   #14
mashaffer

Based on recent performance, I wouldn't count on the Repubs to put the brakes on anything.

mike

If we the people harbor covetousness in our hearts we will be ruled by thieves.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:42 PM   #15
JWT

I was in the local Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they had people standing two and three deep at the gun counter waiting to be served. People were buying too, not just looking. I saw three guns walk out in the five or six minutes I stood around watching the activity and seeing what they still had in inventory. Their stock of ammo was pretty depleted - no .223 or 9mm in any price range. Lot's of people grabbing the ammo that was available.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:57 PM   #16
SgtLumpy

My Wally's has bird shot 20 ga and similar only. Nothing in handgun, rifle or 22.

My Cabelas has 9mm ball for $12 a box. They also have pallets of .223. I'm not familiar with what the pricing should be, I don't shoot that caliber. But they've got plenty of rounds of it.

My Cabelas does have TONS of customers at the counter saying "I want to buy a gun" and not having a clue if they want a pistol, bolt rifle, AR, BMG etc.

My local gun shop has plenty of high end 1911s, 9mm (mostly Glock/Sig), bolt 308s and 30-06s, several M1As (that suprised me), no ARs. Lots of autoloading shotguns with recoil reducers. When I was there, they had about six employees, I was the only customer. None of the employees seemed too enthusiastic about trying to sell anything to me. They almost seemed like they were an antelope that had been taken down by a pack of lions and had submitted to being eaten.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 12, 2013, 06:25 PM   #17
norb5150

Baddarryl that is a good idea you have. I was having a conversation earlier this afternoon with my nieghbor about that same agenda. People are definately over spending and if things calm down, there will be deals to be had on alot of stuff IMO
Old January 12, 2013, 06:37 PM   #18
youngunz4life

its not all obama in cali...they are doing it themselves without any help; that prob added to the business
Old January 13, 2013, 06:27 PM   #19
9mm

I went to buy a gun, NOTHING GOOD LEFT! and if I go to the bigger stores, there some full size SIG's and Glock target models 36/34? and ported. $100/200 marked up.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:34 PM   #20
mxsailor803

100 to 200 price up isn't that bad. I picked up a 1911R1 last year for 700 and went back to the same shop today and had the same exact one priced at 1250. I'm planning on looking around at a gun show next weekend up in Va, mostly for reloading supplies. Hope I don't run into something I have to have lol.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I went to buy a gun, NOTHING GOOD LEFT! and if I go to the bigger stores, there some full size SIG's and Glock target models 36/34? and ported. $100/200 marked up.
You have a problem with a store owner making a profit? Does your company where you work expect to make one after paying for things?
Old January 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #22
LRChops

Guns are like GOLD!
Old January 13, 2013, 08:04 PM   #23
winken

what is the difference between making an honest profit and price gouging?
Old January 13, 2013, 08:15 PM   #24
SgtLumpy

Quote:
what is the difference between making an honest profit and price gouging
The misunderstanding that some consumer thinks that business exists for the benefit of that consumer.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 13, 2013, 09:46 PM   #25
STW

My local shop, specializing in black rifles, sold everything they had. He only had a few handguns and some class 3 stuff left in the store when I stopped in a couple of weeks ago.

The difficulty he's facing now is that his suppliers are asking for 15% up front when he orders, non refundable. If the laws change and the orders have to be canceled he gets nothing and is out the up front cash.

How does someone account for that when pricing?