The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 26, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1
HisSoldier

Makarov design features

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I took my Mak apart. Nikolai Fyodorovich Makarov used some very interesting design features. Notably, the lack of pins. The "pins" are cast into the part itself, and are "D" shaped when looking endwise at them, and the pinholes they fit into have a notch cut out at the low pressure side of the arc so you can slide the half sectioned pin extensions into place. A bunch fewer parts to lose on the battlefield. Also, he designed the springs to serve many functions. But that pin thing, I was wondering if the idea was original to Makarov or has anyone seen any guns with integral pins that predate the Mak? I can't imagine the complexity of cutting those holes that way compared to simply drilling a hole. Strange things came out of communism, wait till hillary shows us the American version.:barf:
Old October 26, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you get a chance, take a look at a Mauser C96 (broomhandle Mauser); there is not a pin or a screw in the gun except the screw that holds the grips on.

BTW, I don't think the Makarov or any of its parts are cast; the parts that are not stamped look forged and machined to me. Even the trigger bar, with two integral pins, appears to be a machined forging.

Jim
Old October 27, 2007, 11:24 AM   #3
HisSoldier

That could be, I assumed they were cast because of the odd shape. I don't think they were machined (Speaking as a machinist, of my commercial Mak) but maybe I should look at it again.