The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2005, 06:12 PM   #1
UT_Air_Assault

Cheap 20 gauge O/U

I've recently given up autos and switched to Over/Unders for just about everything. Since dove season is working its way here into Texas I'd like to get myself a 20 guage Over/Under for dove season and for the girlfriend to shoot on the skeet range. I'm mostly interested in functionality for this gun, so I don't need a fancy one (I've got a 686 Sporting Clays at home to look pretty ). I'd like to keep it under $500 if I can. Any advise as to what brands to check out will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Trip20

Check out Baikal or Kahn. Go to your local gunshop and ask to see some, and if they do not carry them they can order them for you (they should at the very least have a catalogue to look through). They're cheap, but well made, and I can't stress the well made enough.

Got to shoot a Baikal last Wednesday, and a Kahn just this morning. The Baikal is a Russian made gun, and the Kahn is Turkish.

Baikal's website can be found here.

Kahn's is here.

Don't be scared because it's not a well known brand. These guns are unbelievable for their low price. Which is definitely under $500.

Good luck.

PS- There's always the "Spartan" which is put out by Remington I believe. Cost at my local Gander mountain is $399 brand spankin new. I haven't shot one and know nothing about them but they're cheaper (price wise) which is what your in the market for at the moment.
Old May 7, 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
K80Geoff

Under $500 you are pretty much limited to Russian and Turkish guns. Go down to the local gun store and handle a few. They seem to be hit and miss, some work fine and others not. Fit and finish is not up to the Beretta, and the action may be stiff untill shot a bit.

Do not buy one sight unseen, handle it first.
Old May 7, 2005, 06:55 PM   #4
UT_Air_Assault

Sounds great, I'll have to take a look at those. But do ya'll know if they come with interchangable or fixed chokes? I still plan on using this on the skeet range so I'd need to have the interchangable chokes.
Old May 7, 2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Trip20

I know the Kahn and Baikal come with interchangable chokes.
Old May 7, 2005, 08:58 PM   #6
scottys1

I also can vouch for the Baikal. I sold dozens of Baikals in my gun store days. Well made and very reliable but a bit on the heavy side. Handle them and see for yourself.
The earlier Baikals were fixed choke, but the later ones had screw in chokes and came with IC, M, and F tubes. IIRC they are Tru-tube chokes and additional tubes are readily available.
Old May 7, 2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Trip20

I'm about to purchase the below Baikal strictly for trap:

Break-action single barrel 12ga for $200 NIB. Walnut stock with hand carved checkering, nickel receiver with engraving (picture of clay swooping through air, chrome lined hammer forged ported bbl with wide cent-rib, mid & front bead.

Comes with 4 interchaneable choke tubes. You can select form ejector or extractor (in case you do not want the shells to spring out). Titanium coated trigger. 2 3/4 - 3" chamber.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8
Shorthair

Try Tradtions.....

Introduced a friend to bird hunting last fall, after the first day out he bought a BPS in 20 gauge. Decided the very next trip that he needed an OU, (after shooting some skeet) so we went to the mecca of mid-Michigan hunting stores (Jay's) and after looking at a bunch of OUs he decided on a Traditions 20 gauge Field 2, made by Fausti. Much nicer gun than any of the Russian imports, better wood to metal fit, nicer wood, better metal finish, etc. 28 inch barrels, engraved receiver with little woodcock inlays, screw-in chokes, recoil pad, etc. Its been completely reliable so far, and much sleeker handling than the (what seems to me) clunky, chunky Russian guns.
He got it for about $580, (it was on sale), and a beautiful gun for the money. The wal-mart site has them retail listed for $760, the factory site shows them MSRP for $850 (Field 1) or $1000 for the Field 2. I've seen them on clearance at wally's for about $500, so you'd best look around a little before purchase.
I guarantee that if you compare the quality between this gun and the Russian/Turkish stuff you'll easily come up with the extra $$, unless $$ is all that matters to you when you go to the skeet or bird field.
Edited to fix cheesed-up link....
Old May 8, 2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Romulus

Quote:
...after looking at a bunch of OUs he decided on a Traditions 20 gauge Field 2, made by Fausti. Much nicer gun than any of the Russian imports, better wood to metal fit, nicer wood, better metal finish, etc. 28 inch barrels, engraved receiver with little woodcock inlays, screw-in chokes, recoil pad, etc. Its been completely reliable so far, and much sleeker handling than the (what seems to me) clunky, chunky Russian guns.
+1!!!!! Thank you. Fausti O/U sold at walmart are THE deal in O/U!

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old May 8, 2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Left-Hander

You may want to check out mossbergs silver reserve o/u very nice quality and balance. I handled one at the Birch Run Gun and knife show.