The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 14, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
rajbcpa

How would background checks on ammo and components be made?

I read a few of the pending bills in Congress and it is scary how these people think.

Anyway, I assume a background check would have to be made in person, so I believe, this would end Internet shopping for these items and that they could be purchased only locally in a face-to-face transaction. This would become a process just like buying a gun from an FFL now I guess.

I just can't see how Internet sales would continue unless I am missing something. Perhaps you could buy ammo components on the Net and have them shipped to an FFL where he could do the background check - UHG!

For one thing, this would make component purchases very expensive. We already pay a hefty hazardous fee charge for shipping primers and powder. Add a transfer fee on top and you may be better off buying completed ammo or getting a new hobby.

I would assume that this is the easiest legislation to pass.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
spacecoast

Quote:
Perhaps you could buy ammo components on the Net and have them shipped to an FFL where he could do the background check - UHG!
You're right... ugh!!!

I could see where you might have to fax a copy of your ID or your CCW permit to the vendor, and you could purchase as long as the name/address matched. I HOPE it doesn't come to that, I depend on online sources for all my supplies as do many of us.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
5R milspec

lets just pray and hope it doesn't happen
Old January 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First, check to see to what House committee any such bill is sent. Then, email, FAX or phone your Representative, pointing out that reloads are not known to be used in crimes.

After that, just keep an eye on any progress.

No point in a bunch of speculation here, however. Way too many unknowns.
Closed Thread