The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Buzzard

Looking for a stock

I have an old brazil made single 12ga that holds a great pattern, I got it out of the case today to get it ready for quail season.
Well the butt stock has a few cracks in it and I think I need a new one.
Any idea where to get a replacement or is there a way I can fix it.
Old September 19, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
BigJimP

A custom stock will cost you at least $1,000 / out of a relatively plain walnut - not sure its worth going down that path. I doubt you'll find a replacement - unless you find another used gun - and buy it for parts.

What happened to crack the stock ?
How long / how wide / how deep are cracks - and where on stock ?
Is this a "grain" crack - where the wood moved / or something got wet ?
How many cracks ?

It is possible to fill cracks with some woodworking glues ( maybe ) and using clamps - to allow them to cure. Sand and refinish the stock ... You need to remove the stock / fixing it depends on your woodworking / finishing skills but its not hard. Depending on situation I might use a waterproof glue like Titebond III / or a super glue - gap filling - the yellow bottle cyanoacrylate ... but if this stock split because of stress in the wood / you need to figure out what is going on. If it split because you dropped it / or from recoil because it wasn't fit into the receiver properly .... it can probably be fixed.
Old September 19, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Pahoo

Depending on how bad the where cracks are, there are fixes that can be done and even hidden. However, it will not be as good as original. Guessing that a new stock would not be easy to locate but there are shops that can duplicate your stock and it can get expensive. A good fix can give you many years of useful service. Have to ask how you are just now, noticing these cracks.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 19, 2008, 01:06 PM   #4
zippy13

Stock splits parallel to grain are not uncommon. Just do a google search for "how to, split stock repair" and see what's appropriate for your situation. There's even files with MIL-STD stock repairs.
Fitting a new semi-inletted stock involves MUCH more time and work than you'd expect. Hopefully yours is a candidate for a simple repair.
Old September 19, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Buzzard

I guess I gotworried too soon, I see the cracks are just surface cracks.
This shotgun is an old UGLY one...made in Brazil modle SB-1
holds a good pattern.
There is no bluing left on it and the fore stock and butt do not match.
I think I will just paint it camo
Thanks for the info