The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
comancheblack2

steel shot full choke barrel

I have a Rem 1100 magnum. The barrel is marked 3" and full. My question is can I shoot steel loads in it for duck season? I know steel through a full choke is a no-go. The barrel is not threaded for a screw in choke.Thank You
Old October 28, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Doyle

Quote:
I know steel through a full choke is a no-go.
You've already answered your own question. Steel shot through a full choke frequently results in a bulged barrel.
Old October 28, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
comancheblack2

Thank You Doyle for your quick response. My next question would be can I shoot the tungston and other non toxic duck loads though it?
Old October 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Virginian

You can't/shouldn't shoot tungsten iron or the older Hevi-Shot (which is now a whole range of stuff - not as heavy). Tungsten matrix Kent Impact, or Bismuth, or Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, or Nice Shot is okay. You can get steel rated choke tubes installed (under $100 by Mike Orlen, and none better) or get a Steel Shot barrel with choke tubes. I did the latter. Been shooting an 1100 for 49 years with no plans to switch.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Doyle

If you really want to waterfowl hunt with that gun, go on Gunbroker and pick up a threaded choke barrel. You can probably do that for less than the cost of altering your existing barrel.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Big Pard

Normally you wouldn't "want" to shoot steel shot(or anything that hard) in a full choke because the harder shot doesn't compress as easy as lead or lead-like non-toxic shot. If you didn't want to buy a barrel just get some Bismuth. It is similar to lead and should be safe to use in your barrel.
Old October 30, 2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Virginian

The ONLY 3" chambered Model 1100 barrels you are going to find are going to be 1) fixed choke, 2) the Steel Shot barrels with tubes, or 3) a barrel someone else has already had fitted for tubes. And unless they have the paperwork on who modified the barrel, I would be real hesitant. I have seen lots of buggered choke tube jobs.
I doubt you will find anyone to fit tubes cheaper and better than Mike Orlen. I will bet money you can't find a comparable barrel for less.
Old October 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

How old is the gun, newer chokes are designed with a longer shallow taper and can take the steel. If its an older gun, (pre 87), with the original choke it won't matter what size it is, steel will ping it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 30, 2012, 07:03 PM   #9
comancheblack2

I would say it's an older 1100. The ser# 190xxxM The reciever is marked magnum. I don't know when they started making magnums. Can anyone help with the date?. I kinda started looking into the non-toxic waterfowl loads. I won't shoot the steel shot through it. Thanks
Old October 30, 2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Big Pard

Quote:
Can anyone help with the date?
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/...ns/barrelcodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1100
Old October 31, 2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Virginian

It's pre-68 because no prefix letter. There is no difference in the choke taper from 1963 to present. I have a '66 Magnum, but I bought a Steel Shot barrel over 20 years ago. Remington has said #2 or smaller shot and modified or more open choke for any gun since 1950. When you have choke tubes installed, you then go by what the tube is rated for, not the barrel.