The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 11, 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
BarryLee

Sawed Off Shotgun

My Father passed away a couple of years ago and I inherited some of his long guns. One of the guns is an older double barrel shotgun that he got from my Grandfather. At some point the barrel was sawed off by my Grandfather.

So, I have no plans to ever carry this anywhere and will most likely never fire it. However, is simply having it in my home a violation of any law? I guess I am referring to Federal regulations, but if anyone knew of specific Georgia regulations that would be helpful.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2011, 06:19 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There is no "sentimental exemption" to the federal gun regs...

Possession is all it takes...

Destroy the barrels... The only way I would own it is to remove or gind off the firing pins too short to strike the primer and weld plugs in the breech... Might be legal if completely unable to hold a shell...

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
oneounceload

First things first - sawed off means nothing, barrel length and overall length do minimum of 18 inch barrels with an overall of 26" - not a hair's width shorter..................
Old September 11, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
First things first - sawed off means nothing, barrel length and overall length do minimum of 18 inch barrels with an overall of 26"
Darn. I have had this thing for awhile and really never thought about the legal issues. So, can you provide the specific regulation for me to review? Is it something in the Federal Register or somewhere else? The shotgun was shortened, but it may meet the specifications you gave me, but need to dig it out of storage to check.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2011, 06:47 PM   #5
BarryLee

Quote:
So, can you provide the specific regulation for me to review?
Never mind I think I found what I need at the ATF WEB site.

Thanks-
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2011, 06:51 PM   #6
shortwave

Note, FWIW, the Fed. regs for sawed off shotguns do not apply to Black Powder shotguns.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:52 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, as long as of legal length, who did the job is mute... If legal, length, keep it in fire-able condition and ENJOY it.

I assumed you had already verified under legal minimums... If legal length, I apologize for jumpin' to conclusions

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 06:59 PM   #8
BarryLee

Quote:
I assumed you had already verified under legal minimums... If legal length, I apologize for jumpin' to conclusions
No, my fault for not providing more specifics. I have got to get off line now and handle some family issue, but in the next day or so I’ll dig the gun out and check. If it is too short then I guess that brings up a whole different set of question.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 11, 2011, 07:54 PM   #9
secret_agent_man

Quote:
I have got to get off line now and handle some family issue
LOL, put the sawed off shotgun away for the time being. Family issues are common instigators of gun violence.
Old September 12, 2011, 02:54 AM   #10
kozak6

Remember- drop a dowel down the bore, mark it, and measure it.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:26 PM   #11
winkytink

Something you might not have thought of...if the barrels are too short, you might be able to find suitable replacements (and then destroy the short ones). Make note of any markings on the gun and search on-line. There are collectors for just about everything and there's bound to be someone out there that can point you in the right direction.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:32 PM   #12
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6
drop a dowel down the bore, mark it, and measure it.
That's the important part of this thread. If the dowel measures more than 18" to the closed breech then you are ok, otherwise you have an illegal gun........period.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:42 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Cock the hammer to use dowel... No sense wasting that precious 1/15th inch
Brent
Old September 13, 2011, 07:19 PM   #14
oneounceload

Doesn't matter if the barrels are 20 inches - if it is cut so that the overall length is less than 26, it is still subject to NFA rules
Old September 13, 2011, 07:28 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Many folks do not realize how crucial that 26" number is until they cut a single/double down to 18 inch barrels and hack off the stock to a PGO...

Most pumps cut to 18 inches and PGO still exceed that 26 inch number.

Brent
Old September 13, 2011, 08:32 PM   #16
oneounceload

Exactly, Brent - because that action adds a nice 3" to make it legal
Old September 14, 2011, 12:49 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

It was the Fed's handling of a charge over a sawed off shotgun that started the whole Ruby Ridge fiasco back then.

One of the things reported was that while the barrels were of legal length, the stock was 1/4" short of the legal limit. (over all length)

Measure the gun carefully, and if it fails to meet ALL the legal requirements, destroy it, or surrender it to the police (check with a lawyer first, there may be legal complications).

It is remotely possible that there may be a legal way to keep the gun, but you need to speak with a legal professional, and one well versed in firearms law, not just take well meant internet advice.

You have potentially violated Federal law, just by having the gun in your posession (IF it does not measure to legal lengths). Contact a lawyer, and see what your options really are. Do it today!

Closing this thread, for the good of all concerned.