The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
TGDKY

Scope sunshades-universal?

I have a couple different 40mm scopes I would like to add sunshades to. The most common sunshades I'm running into are the nikons. All my scopes are matte black-so that will work fine. My question is-are all the threads and the end of scopes universal or are they different from each company. One of the scopes is a vortex and the other is a bushnell.

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old July 31, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Pahoo

One size does not fit all !!!

Quote:
My question is-are all the threads and the end of scopes universal or are they different from each company.
Recently, I've been struggling with this issue and find that although there are some that are common, there is a difference. In fact, just because one is listed at 50MM, does not mean that it will fit another another 50MM size. I have seen sun shades in shops and they could not tell me what they fit and the only way to tell, is to bring in my scope and try the fit. Not easy to do when your scope is already mounted. .....

I seem to recal seeing a universal or what they called it and it was more of a bubber boot, like a scope cap. Not as nice looking as metal but would serve the purpose. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 31, 2011 at 02:08 PM.