The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Do The Under $20 Powder Tricklers Work Ok?

I have used a small electronic scale for years and weight out every charge of powder after it is dispensed from a Lee powder dispenser. Every once in a while the loads being weighed come out a partial grain to a grain low and I have in the past just trickled the aditional powder onto the scale with a tiny spoon. Do the under $20 Lyman or Hornady powder trickler's work well to finish off a charge any easier than my spoon method? Thanks...
Old January 17, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Powder trickler...

Utopia Texas G19--Have been using a red plastic Bonanza Powder Trickler for years. It works great. Have never tried a spoon, so cannot say definitively, but I imagine that the trickler is much more effective, both in terms of accuracy of powder dropped, and speed of use.

OTOH, if you are well versed with the use of the spoon to get that last half of 1/10 of a grain in accurately, and like using it, why not continue?

You must have very steady hands!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
deepcore

I have the Lyman Adjustable Ezee Flow trickler it's under $20 and it works well.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Sport45

Quote:
Do the under $20 Lyman or Hornady powder trickler's work well to finish off a charge any easier than my spoon method?
IMHO, no. I have a RCBS trickler that hasn't been out of its box in at least a decade. It's much quicker and easier for me to flick powder out of a Lee powder scoop when I need it.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Marco Califo

The Redding Trickler is good

Redding #5 Powder Trickler
works very well.

As Redding says: "Simply turn the knob to add a granule or two of powder at a time."
Old January 17, 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
arch308

I use my RCBS trickler regularly, but I still use an old fashioned mechanical scale. Shoot, it's all paid for and works like a charm for me.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:42 PM   #7
mo84

I use the hornady trickler that came with my starter kit with great success
Old January 17, 2012, 09:46 PM   #8
hk33ka1

I use a plastic spoon like you get at McDonalds and occasionally a Lee dipper. I sold off the RCBS and Lyman tricklers as I found they were slower and of little use for me.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
springer99

I think they all work pretty much the same, but choose one with a heavy base or plan to fill the base with shot, etc. The very light ones move around too easily IMO unless you make this modification.

Also, make sure that the nozzle is high enough to dump into your powder measure pan. They all aren't exactly the same in that dimension.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10
SL1

I have used an RCBS trickler for years, but with a balance beam scale.

When I tried it with an inexpensive digital scale, I found that the scale did not register each additional tiny increment of powder, so that it allowed me to get several tenths over my goal. That was not obvious unless I picked-up the pan and returned it to the scale, at which point the scale would register the proper weight, instead of the weight where it last "hung-up."

So, I don't consider your set-up to be accurate enough unless your scale is better than mine.

SL1
Old January 17, 2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Scimmia

Quote:
Redding #5 Powder Trickler
works very well.
+1. Better made than the RCBS or Hornady (haven't seen a Lyman). Nice heavy base makes it nice and stable. More expensive than the other, but worth it.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:33 AM   #12
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1
When I tried it with an inexpensive digital scale, I found that the scale did not register each additional tiny increment of powder, so that it allowed me to get several tenths over my goal. That was not obvious unless I picked-up the pan and returned it to the scale, at which point the scale would register the proper weight, instead of the weight where it last "hung-up."
That's a good point. I flick a bit from a Lee powder scoop and then pat the pile with the bottom of the scoop to make the scale reset when using a digital.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:48 AM   #13
hounddawg

99 cent tweezers, not only can you add bit but you can take it out just as easily if you go .1 a grain over
Old January 18, 2012, 09:16 AM   #14
PawPaw

Quote:
Do The Under $20 Powder Trickler's Work Ok?
Yep! Mine's a Lyman and it's been working for more than a decade. I still use an old balance beam scale for precision loads and trickle up to the desired weight. I admit that I've been looking at the newer all-in-one electronic powder dispensers, but haven't decided to pull the pin on one yet.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #15
larzb93

dont even bother with one. take an empty bullet case and full it with powder. if your too light on the scale hold the case over the scale and just tap a little powder at a time. save your money.
Old January 18, 2012, 02:03 PM   #16
LarryFlew

Yes they work and can be found for half price from these guys who didn't like them
Old January 18, 2012, 02:27 PM   #17
ltc444

Been using an RCBS trickler since 1975. I can drop an individual grain of powder, Bullseye upto IMR 4350, onto the scale.

Use a lee powder measure to get the charge close and finish with the trickler. It is the most precise method for getting accurate powder charges.
Old January 18, 2012, 04:07 PM   #18
David Wile

Hey folks,

It must be more than 40 years now that I have been using a cast aluminum RCBS powder trickler. I like the idea of the metal trickler so it is heavier and stays still while using it. I only had it a few days when I was casting bullets and had a bright idea about how to make my RCBS powder trickler even heavier.

I used a 1/4" bit to drill two holes 180 degrees apart near the top of the hollow aluminum base. I then taped the outside of the holes shut, turn the trickler upside down, and then filled the base with molten lead. The lead filled the base as well as the two drilled holes. When it hardened, the lead "arms" in the holes kept the lead plug from falling out of the bottom, and I ended up with a powder trickler that really was very stable with its low center of gravity.

For those who may want to do the same thing, I would suggest removing the trickler tube and any plastic parts before pouring molten lead in the base. Aluminum transfers the heat so well I suspect it could melt any plastic parts attached during the pouring.

About 15 years ago I also bought an electric vibratory trickler more out of curiosity than need. It turned out to work very well, as long as you can deal with the idea of a cord running to an outlet. I have four outlets on the front of my bench, but the cord still seems out of place. In spite of that, I still use the vibratory trickler on the bench and use my old RCBS trickler when I take my hand loading equipment on the road.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 18, 2012, 08:45 PM   #19
sserdlihc

Quote:
I use my RCBS trickler regularly, but I still use an old fashioned mechanical scale. Shoot, it's all paid for and works like a charm for me.
same here.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:56 PM   #20
10-96

Like Springer99 said- I find a lot of them way too light and way too easy to move around. I filled the Lee one up with bullet rejects, machine nuts, and a ball bearing or two in order to give it some weight and stability. The closest thing I could find to seal it up with was copper form-a-gasket stuff. Took a while to dry, cure, set up, whatever- but it's stayed in place for 12 or 13 years now.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Jim Watson

I use a cheap red plastic trickler, I forget the brand.
I filled the base with lead shot for stability; it came with a plug for the purpose.

I am looking at the power tricklers but they are awful nervous about black powder which is my main use for a trickler. (I load smokeless powder target loads with a PACT digital dispenser. I had rather not get black in all its nooks and crannies.)
Old January 20, 2012, 09:54 AM   #22
serf 'rett

Balance beam and modified RCBS trickler.

Did the "flick the dipper" thing for a while, but then got a RCBS trickler. Filled the bottom with brass shavings and then glued on a small wood base with enough height to get the spout above the pan on the scale. Can drop flake, ball and stick powder by the granule.

Works good for me.
Old January 26, 2012, 12:26 AM   #23
Marco Califo

Redding Powder Trickler on Sale under $20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/487...owder-trickler
Old January 26, 2012, 07:37 AM   #24
Fusion

I use the cheap Hornady one and it works just fine for me. I will say thought it is light so it can slide around easily. However, for me I like this because I find myself sliding it out of the way after I trickle what I want into the pan on the scale. Then I slide it back to the scale when I need it again. You could easily put some lead or something in the bottom if you didn't like this.

I really have no complaints about mine.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:02 AM   #25
savagelover

All I have ever used was my fingers to trickle the powder..No problems and no cost for any more gadgets...