The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Bernie Lomax

Extreme Shock Ammo?

Being a mouse gun carrier, I'm always looking for ways to increase my stopping power. Anyway, while searching Midway for .380 ammo, I cam across this stuff:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=718880

I researched a little more on it and people were making some pretty tall claims about what it can do.

Has anyone heard of this stuff? Is it really as good as they say, or is it all just hype?

Another round I'm considering is PowRball. It's supposed to penetrate like ball, but expand like an JHP.

TIA for any info anyone can give me on these rounds.
Old October 16, 2010, 02:39 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

ESA, bold claims, real use, new Alligence line...

I bought 12 rounds of the Extreme Shock USA .38 spl rounds from an online source around 5 years ago. The gun press articles and website details were all + but to be honest I was very unimpressed by the quality of the handgun rounds.
The cases looked worn and sub-standard. I shot up the Extreme-Shock rounds and bought some great Buffalo Bore 158gr lead SWC-HP +P.
I saw a new ad that says ESA has a "new" line of protection-training handgun rounds called Alligence. The ad states ESA wants a low cost offering but I question how they can make that statement w/o lowering standards.
Extreme-Shock, RCBD, LeMas, and a few other brands are not really that great. To me, Magsafe & Corbon/Glaser Safety Slugs are worth the $$$.
Old October 16, 2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Silentarmy

I will look and see if I can find the pics of the Jackrabbit I shot with the Magsafe super swat in .40 SW... I cannot imagine anything quite so destructive as this was. I have yet to try the Extreme Shock stuff and doubt I will spend the $ on it. Magsafe has .380 that claims to Outperform any other ammo in .357 Mag!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old October 16, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
dogtown tom

If Extreme Shock ammunition was what they claim it to be every police department in America would issue the stuff.

As no department does use it as their duty round, neither should you.

Extreme Shock ammunition is specially designed to seperate newbies, mall ninjas and wannabe spec ops "operators" from their $$$$.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old October 16, 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

As long as you are talking about "shock" cartridges - I have a question. I'm fairly new to cartridge handguns - I recently bought a Ruger SR9 to bring out to AZ for the winter. I bought about 400 rounds of 9mm FMJ and at the same time, bought a box of 20 rounds of Federal 9mm "hydro shock" (I think that is what they are called) - primarily to have for HD. My question is this - not being that familiar with cartridge loading, etc. - why is the "shock" ammo so much more expensive that say, FMJ? As an example, a 50 round box of FMJ 9mm cost me $12.99. The box of 20 "shock" cartridges cost me $21.99. True, the regular cartridges were probably a "cheaper" brand - but I'm looking at it this way. A casing is a casing - primer a primer - powder is powder (certainly one brand could be more than another) - but the only difference I'm seeing is in the slug. Is it that much more to produce a "shock" slug? Or is it a case of supply/demand or "special use"? I'm not being critical or a smart a_ _ . . . . I'm just curious. Thanks. Sincerely, bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 16, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Rampant_Colt

mall ninja ammo

Quote:
The resulting stopping power is utterly devastating. E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system

It should be renamed Extreme Nonsense...

If anybody actually buys that stuff other than for novelty or curiosity is kidding themselves into believing they've got some type of super-deadly cartridge imbued with magical terminal ballistic stopping power properties based on the marketing and packaging.

EXtreme Rubbish

ps - Federal Hydra-Shok ammo is outdated as well. It tends to clog with clothing and not expand as designed.
Old October 16, 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Dave P

This operator sure loves them.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/gfx_s...agent_stop.jpg
Old October 16, 2010, 06:38 PM   #8
espnazi

Yes they are great, they will impress all of you mall ninja friends.
Old October 16, 2010, 08:34 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Big ups to DT...

A big +1 to member; DTs remarks.

Dont believe the hype, yo.
Or as I like to say; "Every belief has a l-i-e.".

Clyde
Old October 16, 2010, 08:51 PM   #10
mdell2

If you choose to carry a .380 then just plain ball ammo. Because of it's size and power, ball will be your best bet. All the hp, jhp's, and fancy rounds actually will be less effective against real world situations. It is a small round as is so you need as much "Bullet" as you can get hence full metal jacket or ball ammo. It will expand ever so slightly but it will cause the most damage, be less likely to frag, will help penetrate clothing or anything else that might be in the way, and will cause the most damage or wound channel for a small and not so powerful round. The 380 is better than nothing and they are making some nice 380 handguns but you can get 9mm as small or only slightly bigger. Dont get mad about the old saying "a 380 is what I carry when im not carring a gun". It's just a joke, the 380 is fine. I wont stand in front of one, thats for sure.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Rampant Colt - thanks for you comments on the Federal "hydor-shock". As I said, I'm fairly new to cartridge handguns (have always shot black powder revolvers until recently). Again . . . I'm not trying to be a smart a _ _ about anything nor am I trying to start the "great debate". I'm asking the following because I am interested in hearing your (and other's) opinion. I am asking about 9mm because that is what I have (although I also shoot 38spl in a New Vaquero and a Colt Army Special - both of which I purchased recently as well). If I am understanding you correctly . . . you are saying that ammo like the "hydro shock", etc. is hyped up more than it should be? I'm looking at it this way and please tell me if my thinking is flawed (and hopefully I won't start the "great debate"). I feel that if I am shooting a 9mm (or a 38spl) and using ammo such as one with FMJ (or what I will call "ball" ammo), carefully placed shots in the "kill" zone will do the job that is required. I realize that the "shock" ammo is supposed to act like hollow-point and expand, causing more tissue damage, but for years, the military utilized the 45ACP, and before that, the 38 (although they found it to be not as effective) ball ammo. In a case of where a person has to defend him/herself (God forbid that should ever happen) it is usually at close range. Will the standard ammunition not do the job effectively? I have heard . . . and seen (in my years when I worked rescue and ambulance) ball ammo go through a person's body creating an entry and exit wound, but most times, it "put the person down" although it was perhaps not a fatal wound. Of course, there were exceptions when the wounded individual was hyped up on drugs, but without a shot in the "kill zone", I have often wondered if they would have reacted much the same if they had been hit with a hollowpoint. I guess what I am asking is, won't standard ammunition do the job, whether it be human or animal, if properly placed? Thanks for your thoughts . . . and again, I'm not trying to "start" something . . . . I'm just asking as a "newcomer" to cartridege handguns.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 16, 2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Shadi Khalil

It's a really over priced gimick.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:24 AM   #13
MilProGuy

I've not seen the ammo you mentioned.

I use Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement ammo in my .380s...and Remington Golden Sabers in my .45s.

I would think that any reputable major manufacturer's hollow point self-defense ammo should do a pretty good job of making a BG turn loose of you.

The best self-defense ammo is the one that works 120% of the time in your particular weapon.
Old October 17, 2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Bernie Lomax

Quote:
I've not seen the ammo you mentioned.

I use Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement ammo in my .380s...and Remington Golden Sabers in my .45s.

I would think that any reputable major manufacturer's hollow point self-defense ammo should do a pretty good job of making a BG turn loose of you.

The best self-defense ammo is the one that works 120% of the time in your particular weapon.
Right now I'm packing Remington 88 g. JHPs. They're cheap enough that I could afford enough to feed my gun enough to make sure that they're reliable.

One of these days I'll buy enough high-dollar stuff to see if it cycles reliably.
Old October 17, 2010, 04:14 PM   #15
orionengnr

Quote:
Magsafe has .380 that claims to Outperform any other ammo in .357 Mag!
Can anyone pick out the key word in this statement?
Old October 17, 2010, 04:54 PM   #16
Don P

Absolutely electrifying
Old October 17, 2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Jbb6811

CLAIMS
Old October 17, 2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Delaware_Dan

Don't let anyone fool you, this stuff is the best there is...

-Bruce Lee