The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 7, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Skans

Looking for Pocket Holster for AMT 45 Backup

I'm trying to find a pocket holster for my AMT 45 Backup. I've found pocket holsters for similarly sized guns which I think I can modify to fit my AMT 45. Does anyone know of the best way or product to pocket holster an AMT 45 backup?
Old May 10, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
WC145

Check with this guy - Ed Rodek ([email protected]) - he made me a belt holster and mag pouch for my Backups (I have a .38 Super and a .40S&W). I don't know if he makes pocket holsters but I'll bet he could figure something out. The quality of his work is excellent, his prices are reasonable, and the service is great.

Here's a link my post from another forum showing pics of the rig he made me - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-one-made.html
Old May 10, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
mavracer

I used a DeSantis Nemasis for a Breretta Tomcat.I had to cut the seam a little to make room so that the slide would come out to the end of the holster.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 10, 2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Skans

Follow Up:

Thanks, WC, I had actually come across that thread in search of a holster. But, I decided that I really wanted a pocket holster that could fit in cargo type pants/shorts, bigger pockets and the small zip pocket in my gym-bag. The main things I wanted was 1) avoid the imprinting that you get when pocket carrying; and 2) keep it somewhat protected and secured; make sure that it could fit most pockets (other than jeans).

So, what I did was decide to take a chance on ordering one of those pocket holsters from Smyrna Shooters Supply. I chose the one molded for the Kel-Tec P-11. FWIW, I called ahead and tried to get some information about this holster and whether it would possibly fit the AMT Backup. The guy who answered the phone was pretty short with me, just said "we don't have one to fit your gun", with no suggestions and that was about it for the conversation.

I checked out the dimensions for both the P-11 and My AMT 45 Backup - they dimensions are very similar. I figured that if I needed to adjust the holster, then I could probably figure something out to get it to fit. If it turned out to be a total misfit, well, I'm out some money, but figured it was worth the gamble. I

I received the pocket holster a couple days ago. The holster is actually nicely made. It's a near perfect fit! Really, no adjustment is required at all. I'm debating on whether to trim the top and the side of the flat piece of leather (prevents imprinting) by about 1/8th inch. It fits nicely in the pockets, as is, but maybe could benifit from a slight trim.....maybe. I'll have to post some pictures for anyone interested.

It's a shame that the makers of this pocket holster really don't know what "other guns" their holsters can fit, nor do they seem to care much. But, for any of those folks who have an AMT .45 backup that are looking for holster possiblities, this one fits nearly perfect.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
WC145

Well there you go! Now you're ready to start packin'.
How do you like shooting the .45? My .38 Super isn't bad but the .40 is uncomfortable, and I'm not recoil shy. I think they're pretty cool guns, they have their quirks but they're great for their intended purpose.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Skans

WC - I haven't had any range time with the AMT yet. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to put a box of ammo through it. I don't really intend on shooting it much - just want to make sure that I can hit what I point/aim at to about 15 yards. I also need to make sure that its reliable, or find out what it's going to take to get it reliable.

One currious thing about this little gun. I got a parts set for it too. But the barrel is significantly different than the parts set barrel's the feed ramp. And the slide is different in that it appears to not have a firing pin block. The barrels do not appear to interchange, but the slides do.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Skans

Followup

Here are some pictures of my new holster for my AMT 45 Backup (holster is desitned for a Kel Tech P-11). I'm going to try this combo for awhile and see how I like it for concealed carry. So far, I haven't made any mods to the holster and I'm doubting that any will be necessary.