The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
loaded24/7

Rem Ultra Mag for AL whitetails

Anyone seen how the 300 RUM performs on whitetails? i recently acquired one, and love the way it shoots. it is equipped with a muzzle break and a custom boyd thumbhole stock. Any experience with the caliber, anyone?
Old October 17, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

The caliber is fine for deer, though much overkill, IMO.

And do you understand how loud that is with MB - you gonna wear plugs while hunting? I would advise it.

Edit: sarcasm deleted.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; October 18, 2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 17, 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I never felt the need for anything more than an '06. I will say that I don't care for the thumbhole stock, after the first time I tried one and tried to quickly chamber another round. Wrong reflexes. Sore thumb.

That .300 RUM oughta work great for beanfield shooting, though.

Art
Old October 17, 2006, 08:05 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

That's alot of caliber for deer that run probably 150-175 pounds. If you love it and can shoot it well then have fun. I agree that the muzzle brake will make you go deaf....I suggest eletronic ear muffs while hunting. I use them and they really help you pick out sounds from the woods and cut the blast down quite a bit.

Personally I think it is a bit much for deer but have fun!!!!
Old October 17, 2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Fremmer

I've hunted with a buddy who uses one. It hits deer really hard. He likes it for stand hunting.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Jack O'Conner

I'm certain it will topple deer sized animals. I've toppled many mulies with less powerful guns and no problems at all.
Jack
Old October 18, 2006, 01:39 PM   #7
loaded24/7

as far as ammunition goes, i only found two types of factory ammo, First-Remington Premeir Sciroccos 150gr. and Second- Federal TBBC 180 gr.... i like the way both types shoot in the rifle, but which would be better suited for whitetails? i Actually just found out remington does make a premeir corelokt for the 300 RUM. would that be the best for deer?
Old October 18, 2006, 01:45 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

The TBBC is a bonded bullet that won't open up inside a deer, even at the velocity that you are pushing it at. Think " elk and moose"
The Sciroccos 150gr are also bonded but open up nicely and sound like a good bet.
I have used the older corelokt in .308 and they worked well. Just don't get a tough bullet dsigned for elk or moose, it won't reliably expand on deer sized game.
The sciroccos sounds like the best bet from where I am sitting.
Old October 18, 2006, 01:50 PM   #9
loaded24/7

thanks alot for the input... now time to break out the credit card and order some ammo... 45-55 bucks a box of 20.. -the only downside to the big/rare caliber
Old October 18, 2006, 03:09 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Yes, if by "only downside" you mean, in addition to cost, the huge recoil, and muzzle blast/noise, and meat damage. But hey, tracking should be easy! So it's got an upside too, for sure, in addition to laser trajectory.
Old October 18, 2006, 03:23 PM   #11
loaded24/7

in all honesty, the recoil is comparable to my previous gun which was chambered in .260 Rem. the noise really isnt that much louder than a normal high powered rifle is.. its only substantially louder for the people behind and around the shooter; from what i'm told by numerous gunsmiths, a well constructed muzzle break should not increase the sound of the gun for the shooter. and lets face it, no high powered rifle is good for the ears, seriously. everyone hunting today should be using some type of ear protection whether equipped with a muzzle break or not... any gun is not good for the ears.
Old October 18, 2006, 10:08 PM   #12
chemist308

Quote:
everyone hunting today should be using some type of ear protection whether equipped with a muzzle break or not... any gun is not good for the ears.
Not a bad idea. At 33 i've already got high frequency loss in the right ear. But then I did some target practice without protection, most was with, but there were day's when i burned through a box of shells with no protection. i've actually hear that to put something in the right ear (for right handed shooter) is a good idea. I know msa used to make a silicon rubber ear plug that was really easy to put in quickly (no rolling just insert). There's gotta be stuff like that still around.
Old October 18, 2006, 11:10 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Chemist-
You're 33. I'm 53.

Hearing loss is real strange. Very few people admit it, especially to themselves. But, slowly, you loose interest in music. You think it's just "maturity". Then you find yourself telling your SO to stop talking to you from the other side of the room. Then you find yourself cranking the TV louder and LOUDER as the movie gets interesting. Pretty soon, the most comfortable place to be is with long time shooters....because NONE of them hear either!

Finally, you find yourself hobbled in social situations and, if you're smart and self-responsible, you learn to smile and deal with it. Know why? Your hearing was an asset that nobody but YOU sold off.

There are so many of us that have done this, inch by inch. Today, I wear two hearing aids...and I'm hardly the exception. I'm not ashamed of it, nor severely hobbled by it, but I'd give anything to have 33 year old ears again. I'd protect 'em with my life.

One more thing: It's not "years" of shooting without protection that does it. It's just those impetuous strings of shots off the porch, when you're "indestructible". For me, it was when I bought a home in the mountains and "could" shoot off the porch; at age 33! As my audiologist has said to me, "That ringing in your ears? That's nerves dying. And they do not rejuvenate".

Rich
Old October 19, 2006, 06:42 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Thanks for the reminder, Rich. Sorry for your troubles. You younger folks LISTENING?
Old October 19, 2006, 07:02 AM   #15
mikejonestkd

I'm 38 ( still fairly young ) and have made it a strict habit of protecting my ears. I remember years ago when my niece went to my father to wish him a happy birthday at a party and he couldn't hear his own granddaughter. I do everything I can to protect my ears - around firearms, drills, saws, chainsaws, loud music....

You only get one chance with your eyes and ears, take care of them!!!!!

I highly recommend electronic muffs for every hunter, they save your ears and you can hear that ' crunch,,,,crunch....' on the game trail much easier.

I shot my 15" .308 encore with a muzzle tamer brake ONCE without protection. The pain was so bad I almost dropped the pistol and I couldn't hear out of my left ear for days.
Old October 19, 2006, 11:53 AM   #16
loaded24/7

Im actually only 21 yrs old, but i have seen what hunting without protection does to peoples ears, and i believe that i can avoid those problems by addressing the issue at a young age. Thanks again for all the input on the thread. i appreciate all the opinions/beliefs of everyone.
Old October 19, 2006, 12:35 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Huh?

Art
Old October 19, 2006, 12:42 PM   #18
mikejonestkd

Art,

HE SAID "THANKS FOR THE ADVICE"
Old October 19, 2006, 03:40 PM   #19
TJ Freak

Rum

If that's the gun ya got then use it. I have a friend with one. I jokenly asked him what he was gonna shoot with it. His reply.."Anything I want to"