The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
JonM

XD 9mm Problems ~ Please Advise ~

So heres the problem, I took the slide off my XD service model to clean and lube. I wiped everything down good and gave it a light coat of oil. I placed the slide back on the frame without the barrel and spring assembly in it. My intentions were to work the slide back and forth and then wipe off the excess oil before re-assembling the gun. I slid the slide to the far back position and then proceeded to pull the slide forward to take it off the frame. Now the slide will only come about a 1/8" forward of the normal operating position. Something is catching, it seems to be catching on the striker assembly as spring tension increases until it comes to a hard stop. I'm afraid to be harsh with it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This is my 3rd XD and I have had all of them apart dozens of time with nothing like this happening before.

Thanks,
Jon
Old September 25, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
flycaster

Sorry to ask a silly question, but did you remove the magazine first?

Chuck
Old September 25, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3
voyager4520

Even though there's no barrel in the gun, be sure the gun is unloaded before doing this: make the slide even with the frame, dry fire the gun. The slide should now come forward off the frame.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:55 PM   #4
JonM

I got it.

Evidently placing the slide on the frame without the barrel is not a good ideal. The barrel must keep tension on something? I could feel what was causing the blockage moving out of the way when I worked the slide back, when it moved forward I could see it come up and catch the stiker assembly. I stuck a bobby pin in under the slide and held it down while I pulled the slide forward. The gun went back together fine. It works smooth, it will dry-fire and reset the striker so it seems to be fine. I appreciate you guys taking the time to comment and make suggestions for a newbie.

Thanks,
Jon
Old September 25, 2010, 10:49 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

What catches is the striker. Many of the common striker-fired pistols are designed so that the striker has a protrusion that hangs down underneath the slide and is engaged by the trigger mechanism. That is why it is common to have to dryfire a striker-fired autopistol during the disassembly process in order to eliminate the engagement and allow the slide to be removed.

Without the recoil spring assembly holding the slide forward in the proper position to dryfire, you'll have to do it with your other hand. voyager4520 has it right. Just push the slide forward until it is in the position it would normally be when ready to fire. Then pull the trigger and the slide will come off as normal.
Old September 25, 2010, 10:58 PM   #6
cougar gt-e

Glad you've got it back and working.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7
chris in va

I did that with my Kahr, really gets your heart pumping, doesn't it?

Tags
disassembly , springfield xd