The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
CS86

45 ACP Large and Small primers

Just wondering if the 45ACP is transitioning to be more standard as a small primer cartridge. I know there has been both out there but I'm seeing a lot of small primer brass for sale. I wasn't sure if people where trying to get rid of it or its becoming more common.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2
hodaka

I think both. More of it is on the shelf (Federal seems to be the dominant supplier) and most of us are aggravated by it and want to get rid of it.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Michigan Big Iron

Don't Need Them

I don't even save any small pistol primer brass for .45 ACP. I have coffee cans full of once fired military .45 brass so I don't want SP brass mixed up with my supply. Besides, I will probably never need more .45 brass anyway.

MBI
Old February 28, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
BigJimP

Its hard to say ...if its going to be a trend or not / I toss any .45 acp cases in the garbage that have small primer holes in them ....

based on what I sweep up off the concrete floor at my local ranges...large pistol primers in .45 acp cases are by far still the most common.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

It is kind of a pain to have to sort out the small and large primer brass before loading. I even got a second press to make it easier to load both. I don't toss out .45 brass except of the NT marked stuff. I don't need the brass so much to go through the trouble of removing the primer crimp.

If someone handed me a bag, box or can of small primer .45 brass, I would be happy to just load it all up. Most of my brass at the moment is the large primer type now. I normally loose them before they ever wear out.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:32 AM   #6
BigV

I save all the .45 with small primer pockets. When I get 100 or so, I load them up and shoot them.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
chiefr

It would be interesting to know if any other ammo manufacturers will follow suit and go to small primers in 45ACP.
I have accumulated a small batch of them and will in the future do a comparison between small & large for accuracy and performance.

Don't know if any of you can remember, but there was a time when some manufacturers used large pistol primers in 38Spl. Had about 100 of them at one time. Finally trashed them when small primers became the norm.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Olorin

"I save all the .45 with small primer pockets. When I get 100 or so, I load them up and shoot them."

Do you have to adjust load data? I have some small primer .45 and would like to use it.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #9
buck460XVR

I have no problem with SP .45ACP brass. I use the same load recipes and see the same performance. Ain't tough to tell them apart and at times like these when any primers are hard to come by, it's nice to have an option for either in the same caliber. When I shoot .45ACP I'll shoot LP and SP separately so I don't have to sort it. I only really have to sort other's empties I pick up off the ground.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:25 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I save the small primer brass for times I will be shooting, and know I will not be able to recover the brass. I also have some steel cased stuff I save for those times as well. So far that I have found Blazer Brass had them for a while, as well as quite a few Federal NT (non toxic "AKA" lead free).
Old March 1, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Revolver1

I'm using same load data for both small and large primers. Eventually 45acp will be all small primers from factory. No need for large primers in 45acp.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
spacecoast

SPs are definitely getting more prevalent. I prime with my hand press so they don't bother me a bit.

By all means DON'T THROW THEM AWAY. It's wasteful and unnecessary. I would be happy to pay your postage to send them to me, or trade for them.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:28 AM   #13
chris in va

Aaaah! Don't throw away the SPP 45's, ship them to me! I much prefer them as I don't have to keep buying two different sizes.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14
LarryFlew

Started with some self defense ammo and thinking it will grow from there as it has to be easier mfg wise to use one size primer at some point.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #15
saleen322

Small Primer Brass

I was offered a bunch (about 3K) of Federal small primer brass for just picking the trash out of the boxes they collected it in while cleaning the range. I loaded some up with my normal target load and it shot great. The only problem is keeping it separated from the large primer brass. If you can get it cheap, take it.

Old March 4, 2013, 10:08 PM   #16
rclark

I toss all small pocketed .45 ACP I find. I don't know of anyone at the range (in my circle anyway) that keeps them. It's all the 'factory' ammo shooters that seem to shoot these things and leave on the ground.... As most of us reload, tossing the few that you find are no big deal.... It is to much of a hassle in the long run.... The large primer pockets have been a standard for lets see ... probably since 1911 I imagine . So, why mix it up now ?
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:34 PM   #17
LarryFlew

Several guys in our area will trade your small primer even up for large primer because they don't have to change the primer part of their gear to switch from 9 (or other caliber) to 45. Try posting a trade on your local forum. Someone is likely loading them.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Started with some self defense ammo and thinking it will grow from there as it has to be easier mfg wise to use one size primer at some point.
Actually, it started with loads by Federal and Winchester designed for indoor pistol ranges and advertised as cleaner burning ammo, but that's in comparison to WhiteBox and American Eagle loads. I've ran into some SPEER cases with small primer pockets as well. I have yet to see a defense load that uses a small primer.

I discard it and store it separately as I have no shellholders designed to prime with them. I prime off press with a LEE Autoprime when I load on my REDDING Boss single stage and on press when I load with the LEE Classic Turret. Maybe I've overlooked them but I haven't seen a shellholder for either designed for small primer use.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:24 PM   #19
bamiller

For those of you who have and don't like the small primer brass PM me as I have some large primer brass that I'll trade you.