The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2002, 10:39 AM   #1
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Local Attitudes/procedures pertaining to Class 3 stuff

I began writing this for another topic on this forum, but thought it would better be a separate thread. Moderator, combine it with the other if you wish - - No hard feelings.

Most folks interested in ownership of full auto or other Class 3/Title II weaponry know that Forms 4 must be approved by the "Chief Law Enforcement Official" in the applicant's area. This can be very problematic, depending on that official's personal inclinations and view of the political climate.

I'm glad to relate that my sheriff is very firearms-friendly. He has appointed me to handle the Forms 4 and so on. All it takes is proof that the applicant lives in our county and has no criminal record. There is no charge for this activity. The only fee we charge is if the applicant needs the fingerprint cards done (two for $10.00,) but there's no requirement that they be done with our S.O. If applicant needs the passport-type photographs, I usually give a couple of locations, commercial and at the District Clerk's Office (also two for $10.00.)

I get to meet the applicants and talk guns for a little while. If it's a stranger, I make a short pitch for NRA and Texas State Rifle Assn membership. The whole process, presuming I am not busy with other matters, usually takes around 30 minutes. It can take a lot less if I've handled F-4s for the individual in the past, but I frequently end up visiting longer with those. They know to phone ahead of time to make sure I'm free to do the stuff. We do not consider this a waste of time and effort. It is being responsive to legitimate and legal wishes of law-abiding residents. Besides, it's kinda fun.

I know at least two collectors/shooters who have relocated to our county because our treatment of residents here. I understand the process is a lot more complicated with some agencies, even here in Texas. The "Chief Law Enforcement Officials" in some areas don't like Class 3/Title II stuff and refuse to cooperate. I feel their attitude is very short sighted, and I worry that those officials may have lost sight of the concept of "Public Servant." [/soapbox]

Some states have laws which prohibit private ownership of this type weaponry, and I'm sorry. Hope those laws can be changed for the better. That, however, is outside the scope of THIS thread. Assuming there is no prohibition in state law, how are things in YOUR area?

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 9, 2002, 11:58 AM   #2
26point2

I'm about to find out, but from what I have been told, it will take up to 2 months for the Maryland State Police to do their paper work and almost a year for the Feds....I'm hoping this is not true, but I think it will be a good experience...now, like I said in another thread...all I need to do is find a FA weapon that I want and can afford...

On another note, we have an election coming up and the Rep. candidate for governor, I'm told, is gun friendly. I hope that is the case...
Old August 9, 2002, 01:46 PM   #3
aggie1976

Have you by any chance had or heard of any Class 3 /Title II application experiences in good 'ol Kaufman county here in Texas? My local gunsmith doesn't have any input at all on these items.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:35 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

There are so many Form 4's processed in my county, the sheriff's department has an assembly line (and it's been this way for decades!).

Take the Form 4's to the clerk that handles them. She does a quick computer check on you. Then give her $25 processing fee and leave. You can get fingerprints at this time if needed. She then gets the sheriff to sign the forms and mails them to your house. Longest it has ever taken for my forms was 3-days before they arrived.

Those that cannot get the CLEO signoff should look into getting incorporated. It's easy and fairly cheap. No more CLEO problems.

NRA Life Member
Old August 9, 2002, 08:14 PM   #5
swampgator

The Alachua County Sheriff recently denied a neighbor of my father in law. However one county judge would sign off on it, "if I can shoot it!"
Old August 10, 2002, 05:42 AM   #6
MrPink

While the Maryland state gov't is very gun friendly, the MD state police are great in this regard. Present your form 4s to them with a $9 check, they will do the fingerprint cards for you and then they run there own background check and mail you the signed off form 4. Takes a little more time, but you don't have to go beg the local liberal constabulary

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 15, 2002, 10:56 PM   #7
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Small population in this county. The sheriff signs with no problem.
Old August 15, 2002, 11:31 PM   #8
ctdonath

Genesee County NY - the sheriff had never been asked to sign a Form 4 in his 13 years in that position. Signed it with amusement, and merely a warning that he expected the item was only for collecting and he never wanted to hear of any problems associated it. In other words, no problem; my lengthy preparations for a hostile CLEO proved unnecessary.
Old August 17, 2002, 09:38 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

True about Maryland. As the official and only authorized CLEO for Md, the MSP takes it out of the hands of local officials. They seem to go by the book, and generally take about the same time as the pistol application, around 7 days.

Jim