The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Obed

Noob in Need of help (Remington Model 11)

Hello folks,

I'm brand new here and not exactly a shotgun expert...but a friend of mine wants to sell me his Remington Model 11. I don't do much pheasant hunting so I'd be using it for bigger game.

in short, I want to do some deer hunting this year, can this weapon be used for that?
If it doesn't have a slug barrel, can I buy one and put it on?

what size cartridge does it take?

he says the gun was made in the mid 60's and has a modified choke, though he was unable to provide anymore specifics.

where can I get the value of the gun appraised at?

are they rare?

I've heard of a Rem 11-87, but not a Model 11 so I'm kind of feeling in the dark for a lightswitch on this one...any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA36IMAG0131.jpg (168.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA36IMAG0132.jpg (24.2 KB, 39 views)
Old May 23, 2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Salmoneye

Not rare...

No one to my knowledge ever made rifled barrels for them...

It's a shotgun so it does not take 'cartridges' but it should be chambered for 2 3/4" shot-shells...

Yes, you can deer hunt with it with rifled slugs, or buck-shot...

Model 11's ceased production in 1948, so whoever told you 60's is incorrect...Looking at the safety inside the trigger guard tells me it was pre-1928...
Old May 23, 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
PetahW

I wouldn't suggest using it for deer hunting - since buckshot is less than effective beyond very close range (in my experiences with using it), and rifled slugs are difficult to use effectively without some kind of sighting systen, beit iron sights, a red dot, or optics.

If you want to hunt deer, etc, entry-level single-shot 12ga & 20ga slug guns, with rifled bbls & iron sights are available new for under $200 from H&R/NEF; and gunshops should have at least 2 or 3 used repeaters in decent condition for little more money.

Old May 23, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Obed

thanks for the replies...

so, PetahW, do you think this gun would be more suited for rabbit, varmint, etc.?

I'm assuming the recoil on this weapon would be a little higher considering the year it was made and the 2 3/4 shot...
Old May 23, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Salmoneye

Recoil is less than a fixed barrel design of the same weight with the same loads...The entire barrel recoils in conjunction with the bolt when fired...

Yes...It is a shotgun, so it is suitable for small game and birds...Do not fire steel shot out of that old barrel unless you understand that you may open the choke with it...

As for 'sighting' a model 11 of that vintage, the receiver has a groove on top, and a bead on the barrel...I was certainly not suggesting just walking into the woods with slugs and firing away...They can indeed be very accurate with rifled slugs and the existing 'sights', if one finds where the gun is hitting with certain brands of rifled slugs, and then does their part in practicing from 25-50+ yards with those slugs...I have a Model 11 a few years older than yours, and it works well with rifled slugs to about 50 yards, and flings cheap S&B 00 Buck pretty well to 35 yards...Expensive buffered shot is tight a bit farther...

As for buckshot, my Father dropped two deer in his lifetime with his Browning Auto 5 and 00 Buck...One at 50 yards, and one at 40 yards running...Both dressed out over 130#...

Do I recommend this for others?

Only for those willing to do their part and understand the limits of a smooth bore shotgun...
Old May 23, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Obed

I just called Remington, they dated the gun at 1924.

Salmoneye, you know your stuff

thanks
Old May 23, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Petah... Some folks will never effectively aim a front bead only shotgun but don't say it is difficult...

I am no eagle eye sharpshooter and with out my glasses, I can shoulder my 20 gauge and put slug after slug in a 6 inch circle with the rare flyer due to my own error in form at 65 yardsthrough an 18 inch cylinder bore barrel...

IMHO a 6 inch circle is fine for "minute of deer" accuracy...

I am only a little less accurate with no bead at all...

brent
Old May 23, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8
austinflowers54

Is there any reason why you just don't look at a rifle of you're interested in hunting big game? There are plenty of cost effective options out there!