The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
grasshopper

mossberg silver reserve ?

does anyone have any experience with this model? i'm looking at the 75410 model (12 ga). can't seem to find any reviews of it.thanks for any information.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
UniversalFrost

do a search here lots of threads. I had been looking as well, but read too many issues with the bottom firing pin and having to send back for repair,etc... I read that they fixed the issue with the new ones,but the old ones are still out there. also looked at the stoegers but similiar hit or miss issues with them.

anyway, some have had no problems, but others have had lots. I ended up just keeping on using my citori as my main gun when at the range and got another 11-87 for birds in the field.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 17, 2008, 01:19 PM   #3
grasshopper

thanks for the answer.i've been doing a lot of reading around about the s/r and the condor.i visit other forums and you mainly hear about problems not success stories. i'm not a total noob to shooting just getting back into it after 20 some odd years away from it. and just seeking others thoughts on things. but whatever i get i'll be happy cause it's mine and i'm busting clays again. take care and be safe.
Old February 17, 2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

FWIW, I have not heard of a problem on any S/R made after June 2007....

Ask to see the box it was shipped in, it will have a "packaged on" date...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old February 17, 2008, 04:27 PM   #5
classic095

SR

If you do break a firing pin it takes about 10 minutes to replace it.. They will send ya new ons for free..
Old February 17, 2008, 08:00 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

I don't think it was breaking the pin. I think it had to do with the lower portion of the receiver where the firing pin would come out of alignment or something like that. Do a search here if you want to know for sure. Otherwise they are nice looking guns (even if they are made in Turkey) and they seemed to handle fairly well for me (not even close to my citori, but good for a $400 O/U).

Also, might want to look into a S/S, I see some used ithaca's and h&R's in the $400 range and they are work horses.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green