The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2013, 08:18 PM   #76
wizrd

Large, well stocked sporting goods store. " Do you have any 7.62 x 54 ammo?"
-- Reply, ,"No, but we've got 7.62 X 39, that's the same thing." (Buyer knew better.)
Old October 28, 2013, 09:34 AM   #77
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, 39 is cheaper and thus a better buy.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:25 PM   #78
Hiker 1

I remembered another one from the previously unmentioned gun shop in Loveland, Co:

A lady came in while I was browsing and said she wanted to get a 12 gauge for her husband for his birthday. She wasn't very knowledgeable, but she wasn't clueless either. She wanted to get it for him for goose hunting.

She asked to see a Browning pump and asked if it was a good gun. The same guy who tried to sell me a $1k scope, was like "yeah, sure. It's a good gun." He kept looking around like he had some place else to be.

Then she asked to see an 870 and again he was saying "uh, sure. That's good too. Whatever you want." He wasn't rude, but he sure wasn't helpful.

She had obviously come in asking for an opinion but didn't get one and left without buying anything. That bozo let a sale walk right out the door.

If I was the owner and had witnessed that, I would have fired him.
Old October 28, 2013, 05:02 PM   #79
carguychris

Quote:
Yep, 39 is cheaper and thus a better buy.
Of course it is! It's 15 less.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:34 PM   #80
Bart Noir

Quote:
I have yet to hear or read any Heckler & Koch employee/sales rep refer to the firm as "H&K".
Just thought I'd share that Jane's Infantry Weapons uses "H&K" in print. I can't tell you how it is spoken since I don't have access to the audio book version

Not everybody will consider that book to be the Holy Writ of current weapons. But I don't know what else is!

Bart Noir
Old October 29, 2013, 09:53 PM   #81
Drifter1885

Went in to a Wholesale Sports one day, the young clerk (and I have ABSOLUTELY no bias against young people, this guy LOOKED competent) asked "what can I do for you?" to which I replied, "I'd like to take a look at the Marlin 1895 Cowboy up there." End of competent look. His face went totally blank, he turned to the rack, grabbed a rifle, i said, "no, the one 2 spaces to the left of that one." he went 2 spaces to the right. Finally, he puts his hand on the gun I wanted, and I told him "that's the one.". He looks at it, his face lights up, he smiles, and says, "oh, this isn't an 1895 Cowboy, it's a .45-70!" So proud. Was able to tell the old fart on the buying side he didn't know what he was talking about. I replied, (politely, I might add), No, it is an 1895 Cowboy, built by Marlin, CHAMBERED in .45-70." He replied, "oh, no, sir, you're wrong. This gun is a model .45-70!" At this point I got annoyed. I told him I owned 4 .45-70's, all made by different companies, and I thought I just might have an inkling as to what I was talking about. He replied, "well you don't have to get huffy about it! I (getting more annoyed by the second) replied; and I know, it wasn't right, but I said, "well, you don't have to be an idiot, either!"

I am probably the first person to ever get thrown out of a Wholesale Sports store.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:59 PM   #82
Bart Noir

Drifter, wear your badge of honor with pride

And the second person to get thrown out should have been the manager who had you thrown out. That affects sales and hence is negative business improvement.

Heck, it may affect their sales all the way up here in Puget Sound, as I may be too nervous to shop there. Who knows when my mouth may express my thoughts in the face of dumbness.

Yup, I may have to shop at the competition. Which will soon include a new Bass Pro only about 10 miles away.

Bart Noir
Old October 30, 2013, 02:44 PM   #83
Kimio

@Drifter That is actually a pretty funny story. I usually get all sorts of flak because I look like a kid still (24 years old and I still look like I ought to be in highschool ugh)

It's mildly amusing to sit there and talk about guns with some of the older gents in the gun stores and hold my own when they think I'm just another gamer punk that thinks they knows guns because they play a video game. (Not claiming I'm an encyclopedia of gun knowledge by the way, I've got much to learn still)
Old October 30, 2013, 04:45 PM   #84
ClydeFrog

post #80, birthday special...

As posted in the past, Heckler & Koch in their own English language promo videos call it HK.
You can call them what ever you choose, but as I stated, I'll use the term the factory uses.

Being thrown out of businesses can happen.
In the mid 2000s, I got "asked to leave" a upscale steakhouse who refused to honor the restaurant's long standing birthday special(a free steak dinner or $21.00 off the total bill on your birthday). The young waiter I had took my DL & order then half way through my salad course, rushed up and said I had to buy two meals.
Things got a tad ugly after that.
I ate in the same restaurant in later years without incident. It also later closed & changed the format.

If a business is poorly run or the staff is inept, wait a few months. They'll go under sooner or later.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:03 PM   #85
mr.t7024

Scope backwards

I work part time in a well known sporting goods store. Guy came in and wanted a scope for his rifle,I sold him one and said I would mount for him if he wanted, he said no he could do it.A day later he came back and told me the sope I sold him was junk and wanted a new one. Well I picked up the rifle and noticed low and behold that he put on backwards and corrected it for him.LOLCliff
Old November 1, 2013, 06:27 AM   #86
ClydeFrog

Work....

While at work I remembered a real dilly from 2007.
I purchased a new/unused Beretta 96D .40 from the Shelby County(TN) Sheriff's Dept. The surplus pistol was sold through a large gun shop/retailer in central IL.
The MENSA members in the gun shop's shipping department didn't wrap or package the 2 spare Beretta magazines(03 total). The METAL magazines(lips) caused a huge gash along the alloy frame of the new/unused 96D.
I was not very happy. I considered making a issue of it but had plans to get the pistol treated by Robar; www.robarguns.com .
FWIW; I had Robar treat my Beretta magazines with NP3. Robar's staff returned the magazines covered with protective wrap(packaged).

CF
Old November 1, 2013, 10:22 AM   #87
Ben Towe

Quote:
As posted in the past, Heckler & Koch in their own English language promo videos call it HK.
You can call them what ever you choose, but as I stated, I'll use the term the factory uses.
It's not like anyone doesn't know what you are talking about when either term is used. Now if we start referring to them as PB&J it might confuse people.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #88
ClydeFrog

PB&J isn't a brand or a company...

PB&J is not a company.
Would you go on a car lot & say: G&M?
Would you use B and M and W? Probably not.
Old November 1, 2013, 03:05 PM   #89
aarondhgraham

This is kind of telling on myself,,,

Several years ago I purchased a Henry .22 Lever gun,,,
The day I took it out to the rifle range,,,
There were several people there.

So I loaded it with the max number of rounds,,,
But the rifle wasn't working properly,,,
It wouldn't feed the cartridges.

I was cursing and slapping the side plate,,,
But nothing I did was of any avail.

Then a lady walked to my table,,,
She picked up the magazine rod and handed it to me.

I felt like Dumb and Dumber both in one body!.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 1, 2013, 03:19 PM   #90
jimbob86

Clyde, do you also have a fit and quibble so, when folk call the .45 Colt "Long Colt", or is is the H&K thing you are so OCD about?

When someone says "America", they are referring to the "United States" and everybody generally knows it. Likewise with "H&K" ....
Old November 1, 2013, 03:26 PM   #91
ClydeFrog

O&C&D ....

I'm not OCD about it.
Forum members keep bringing it up. I've already stated repeatedly, you can call firearms whatever you please but the factory or company name is what I go by.

Clyde
Old November 1, 2013, 04:23 PM   #92
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I might, if it got people that worked up. I shudder to think what those folks would do when presented with a real problem.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:46 PM   #93
Baba Louie

Don't know why I find the HK/H&K subplot so funny, except maybe for the infamous ad with the magazine loaded bass-ackwards keeps coming to mind. Corporate approval? Highly doubtful but someone somewhere had to approve it before publication.

Anyway, my only gunshop funny story was a Bass Pro employee telling me the 4 holes atop S&W's then new 327 TRR8 were to adjust the harmonics of the barrel. All I could respond with was "I will be damned. Who knew?"

I enjoy hearing both sides of the counter stories myself.

...and shouldn't it be "HundK"
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 1, 2013, 05:05 PM   #94
jimbob86

Quote:
...and shouldn't it be "HundK"
LOL.

I like "Ehtch! undt. Keh!", with spittle flyin' at the exclamation points. Moar Tuetonic that way.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #95
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog

Let's see:

Heckler and Koch
General and Motors
Bavarian and Motor and Works

Which two don't fit?
Old November 1, 2013, 06:33 PM   #96
dogtown tom

Quote:
ClydeFrog PB&J is not a company.
Illogical argument is illogical.

G&M?.........GM, because its General Motors, not General & Motors.
B and M and W?..........again its BMW, because the name is Bavarian Motor Works (Bayerische Motoren Werke in German), not Bavarian & Motor & Werken.

Hence the reason to say "H&K" has nothing to do with the factory but because their name is Heckler AND Koch.

And I would bet that if I started a firearms company Hart & Kooks and referred to it as "H&K".............they would sue (Heckler & Koch being very litigious) for trademark infringement, copyright violation, trade dress and mopery.

Funny, but ever hear a Smith & Wesson employee refer to their company as "SW"? The only H&K rep I deal with NEVER refers to "HK" except when discussing a model with HK in the name..........he's always careful to use "Heckler & Koch" when he calls.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 1, 2013, 06:44 PM   #97
Theohazard

Please guys, don't let this thread degenerate into petty bickering. This thread had been pretty entertaining so far and it would be a shame to see it locked because of a pointless argument.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #98
Chad.C

This isn't about gun stores but more a story about one of my uneducated friends to make a long story short he thought a remington 870 was more powerful then a mossberg 500 because 870 is a bigger number I still laugh when I think about it
Old November 1, 2013, 09:16 PM   #99
gearhounds

Posted this about a year ago-

I was at a show in northern Va in the mid 90's, and was carrying a then hard to find CZ-50 32 acp (pre-import) for sale or trade. I stopped at a booth and saw a nice LNIB Beretta Bobcat 22lr and asked the vendor to let me see it. He handed it to me, and true to habit, I popped up the tip up barrel and found that it was loaded! A fully loaded mag was in the gun as well. Needless to say, said vendor was beside himself with embarassment. I shudder when I think about how this could have ended had someone with less common sense picked up the little pistol and dropped the hammer. Ended doing a straight trade and still have the Bobcat.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:11 PM   #100
Darren007

A few years back I was looking to sell a Walther P1. I took it to the local gun store (one I actually still frequent despite this) to see if I could put it towards the purchase of another gun or even maybe on consignment. Counter guy looked at it and stated that he wouldn't be interested it and no one would buy it. When asked why, he replied "It's not original". Confused by this, I asked him why he didn't think it was "original"... "Well if you or whoever hadn't stuck that aftermarket aluminum frame on it, you would have had about a $12,000 gun. Those Lugers are pretty rare."

Ohhhhhh k. Yeah.
Closed Thread