The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 4, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
darestie

VEPR Build!

Finally finished my build today. Excuse some of the poor pictures. I work weekends and had the last few days off to work on it. It all started as a VEPR MD2 from Atlantic firearms, already 922r converted by red jacket. To complete the "conversion" I modified an ak style hand guard and adapted the slant cut receiver to accept mil-spec collapsible stocks. Also added a US palm grip.

Started as a VEPR MD2 with sporter furniture.

I added a russian PK-01V red dot

Had to purchase a VEPR lower retainer from DPH arms
Purchased a Russian polymer AK handguard from KVAR. Also had a to buy a new gas tube with upper retainer. Ak handguards don't fit as is. Required some modifications. The gas tube also isn't drop in and requires a little filing.

Cut the reciever tab

Trimmed about 1" off the length of the heat shield.

I then had to make a copper shim to get the depth right for a proper fit.

handuard installed
Old October 4, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
darestie

Finally:
I installed the US palm grip.
Also installed a VEPR folding adapter designed by CNC warrior/Bonesteel Arms.
With that a Magpul CTR and .25" riser.

All Done! Looks quite a bit different.

Old October 4, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
DanThaMan1776

Very nice! How's it group?
Old October 4, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
darestie

I haven't got a consistent group yet. Seems like every time I try to get a group I get carried away and dump the whole mag on the same target lol. With the old setup I was hitting 1"-1.5" 3 shot groups at 50 with cheap tula. Not bad, but i'm also not the best shot. Hoping to make it to the range next week with the new furniture. I'm expecting a 3moa gun with cheap ammo, 2moa with good stuff.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
tobnpr

One thing I've always wondered about the Vepr is given that the manufacturer, Molot, is at the opposite side of the world, what is the warranty on the rifle, and who is responsible for service?

Not a fan of RJ, but beside the point...what do they do for 922R compliance?

Wondering if it can be cheaper DIY than the $250-$300 charge to buy already converted (unconverted $499)...

Last edited by tobnpr; October 4, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6
insomni

Great looking rifle!!!!
Old October 4, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
darestie

tobnpr: I've actually never even bothered looking at the warranty. I believe it's one year from purchase and I think that TGI (the company that imports them) probably fulfills warranty work. It is an AK though, they either work or don't. I could only see needing a warranty if it didn't work out of the box.

As far as the price, thats up for debate.

New veprs go for $500.
Than you need to add about $100-$200 in parts to make it accept ak mags and be compliant.

Not sure exactly what they did for compliance, but It looks to have a tapco trigger group. I'm sure the bullet guide is USA also. I was also instructed to only use US mags as they count as 3 parts. With my new furniture I can loose the mags now. I paid $800 total for the already converted VEPR from Red Jacket. To me it was worth the $100-$200 in labor. I can't weld and they did a beautiful tack weld on the bullet guide bolt to keep it in place. The trigger job is also much better than anything I could do at home, its smooth and probably right around 3lbs.

So yes, it probably is a bit cheaper to convert it yourself but buying it already converted took out a lot of guesswork.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Mrgunsngear

Excellent work. VEPRs are excellent rifles.
Old October 5, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Kimio

Have they made version of the VEPR that can take double stacked magazines chambered in the 7.62x54R yet? Last I knew they only made them to accept single stacked magazines.

I was thinking (someday) that I'd want to pick one of these up and turn it into a "SVD/PSL" look alike or something.
Old October 7, 2012, 03:16 PM   #10
KevK.

I've not been one for the furniture look on the VEPR's, but that some very fine work you did on that one.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
darestie

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Kimio: I don't think there is a double stack 7.62x54 vepr yet, I do believe there are conversions. Atlantic is now making a single stack 10rd 7.62x54 mag.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Word on the distributor network is that all the VEPRs are about to be available in double stack mags and without slant receivers; hence the $200-300 drop in the last few weeks. I have no evidence of this but a few distributors have said this on various forums...
Old October 8, 2012, 04:37 PM   #13
tobnpr

Now that would be interesting...
Seems it would require a modification to the receiver.

But my "hangup" with the Vepr's is still the plastic mags and their cost...and service/parts/warranty (if new).

Everyone loved to biatch about the Mini-14 and the proprietary mags, but at least there is plenty of aftermarket availability (albeit with questionable functionality).
Old October 8, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14

Nice VEPR. I've always liked those rifles- built like the proverbial tank they are.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #15
seanc

Plastic mags? Veprs can easily be converted to accept standard capacity magazines, in the same way Saigas are: add a bullet guide & file down the mag catch. You may also have to make a couple parts changes to meet 922r (swap out the trigger group for 3 parts + a US mag and you're compliant).

Warranty? For an AK? What for ?

On the comparison of a Mini-14/30 to a Vepr: I'm not putting down Mini-14's (former owner here). The changes Ruger has made since the passing of Bill are welcome to a great American company; however, Vepr is THE top-tier AK known for their accuracy and durability. Period.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Willie D

How is the PK-01V?