The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 19, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Roecus

Can anybody help with ID and year on Ithaca Double Barrel

The markings on this gun are: In the design on the side of the receiver:
"Ithaca Hammerless" inbetween the barrels: "Nitro Powder Steel"
and inside the receiver its stamped with the "SN: 101262" and "S 1 2"
The SN: is stamped throughout the gun. The only gun I can find anything like this in the Lefever Nitro Special SN: 100.000-101599
OH YA this is a 12g and has double triggers.
Let me know if there is any other info I can give.
Old April 20, 2005, 09:31 AM   #2
HunterTRW

According to data supplied in an appendix to a book titled Best Guns by Michael McIntosh, your heirloom Ithaca is a Lewis Model and was manufactured in 1904. McIntosh had this to say, in part, on the subject:

"(Before 1926, all Ithaca guns were named for their designers; Ithaca Gun Company was able to supply no information, not even first names, concerning Lewis or the man named Manier whose design followed Lewis'.)"

"Lewis altered the shape of the cocking levers and repositioned the leaf-type mainspring. Otherwise, there is little difference between the Lewis and Crass models. The Lewis Model was the first Ithaca chambered in 20-gauge, introduced, like the gun itself, in 1904. By 1906, when it was superceded, 29,569 Lewis Model guns were built."

The fact that your gun may resemble a Lefever is no surprise. Ithaca purchased the Lefever Arms Company in 1915.

Before attempting to shoot your heirloom please have it checked by a competent gunsmith. I say this for a number of reasons, chief among them being that the chambers of your gun are probably 2-5/8 inches in length. The 2-3/4 inch length that is standard today did not become so until the early 1920s. Additionally, have him/her pay close attention to the barrels for excessive corrosion or pitting, dents, bulges, etc.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!