The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1
DarthNul

best way to remove berdan primers?

I have a dozen berdan primed 9x18 steel (fired) cases that I want to turn into some 9mm Makarov snap caps. I made a few with brass cases last year but they didn't hold up real well. I'm hoping the steel will last longer.

What's a good way to get the old primers out? There isn't a center flash hole so my decapping die won't do it.

Any other tips for producing home-made snap caps would be appreciated too.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is a tool but for a few cases it isn't worth it. The easy way is to get a pointed rod (like an ice pick or just a steel rod ground to a point), clamp a loading die into a vise upside down, drop the case in, base up, and drive the point of the tool into the primer dent sideways. Then just pry up and the primer will pop out.

I suggest filling the primer pocket with silicone glue, which makes a pretty good rubber cushion. For snap caps with Boxer primed cases, I once bought four 18" long nylon rods, two each in each primer size. When I need a snap cap, I just cut a piece of rod and glue it into the primver pocket of a fired case. That was 20 years ago and I have used about six inches of each size, so I figure I am good for snap caps for a while.

Jim
Old March 6, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
DarthNul

Thanks Jim!

I put silicone caulk in the primer pockets of last year's batch. I was thinking about trying some with hot-melt glue this time, or maybe hot-melt glue over a thin bed of silicone. I'll have to go through my collection of odd & ends to see if I have anything resembling a nylon rod...
Old March 6, 2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Fire_Moose

Re: best way to remove berdan primers?

Can't you just keep the spent primer in,?

Saw a YouTube where the Guy drills a hole in a piece of wood just big enough fir the primer. Then another hole just big enough for the case but not all the way thru.

Fill the case with water. Place in hole. Insert a rod that fits nicely in the case. Give it a whack. Hydraulics.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
There is a tool but for a few cases it isn't worth it. The easy way is to get a pointed rod (like an ice pick or just a steel rod ground to a point), clamp a loading die into a vise upside down, drop the case in, base up, and drive the point of the tool into the primer dent sideways. Then just pry up and the primer will pop out.
That's what I'd do except I'd probably just leave the die in my press and work from the bottom. If I was really energetic, I'd screw the die in from the bottom and let the press hold it.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Marco Califo

Berdan Primers

Berdan primed cases go into the round file.
Under P.
That is under the pizza box.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

if you are making snap caps, the original case ( flash holes ) are not important... drill out the primer... for that matter, drill through the whole case... this will allow you to over fill the primer pocket, & allow a blob of silicone to go into the case, giving it more support, & more adhesion to the case... they should last longer... ( I'd recommend a good cleaning of the case & primer pocket, to give as much clean surface for the silicone as possible )

BTW... I've seen the hydrolic method work well... use a shell holder to allow space under the case for the primer to pop out, even a tight fitting dowel will work...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 6, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:36 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Fill the case with water. Place in hole. Insert a rod that fits nicely in the case. Give it a whack. Hydraulics.
Wooden dowel/water. That is how it was done years ago. It is the least troublesome.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Spent primers don't work as snapcaps. They quickly mash down and won't spring back. After a few dry fires, it's as if you're not using anything at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Another approach...

Darth Null--You do know that you can buy ready-made snap caps at yr LGS?? If not there, then order from Brownell's. Not very expensive, and FAR less fooling around than making snap caps out of Berdan primed cases.

I know that some guys just like doing things "the hard way," but really...

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; March 6, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:54 PM   #11
RonR6

I have heard of snap caps made by cutting down a small pencil eraser and fitting in the primer pocket of spent shells. And yes, you can buy them or you can just make them yourself and save some $$.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I have heard of snap caps made by cutting down a small pencil eraser and fitting in the primer pocket of spent shells. And yes, you can buy them or you can just make them yourself and save some $$.
False economy, the eraser falls apart quickly and you have to redo it. A snap cap will last at least 3 thousand repetitions. That is a lot of dry firing for most people.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 6, 2013, 11:55 PM   #13
DarthNul

Thanks for the tips!

BTW... I have purchased snap caps for several pistol calibers that I shoot but I have not found any available in 9x18 Makarov. I am doing more dry fire practice lately due to lack of good weather (it's winter in Minnesota and brass is not easy to find in the snow), and lack of small pistol primers. This too shall pass...
Old March 7, 2013, 03:18 AM   #14
jeffreyulatan

If you have a lee die, simply break the decapping pin on the bottom. Fill the brass with water, and quickly force it up the die. Yes you have to break out the single action press
Old March 7, 2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Sport45

Quote:
If you have a lee die, simply break the decapping pin on the bottom. Fill the brass with water, and quickly force it up the die.
How's that going to work? There's plenty of room for the water to displace up into the empty die as the decapping rod enters the case.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

RCBS makes a tool for that purpose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245...decapping-tool

S/S
Old March 7, 2013, 04:42 PM   #17
jeffreyulatan

It works I've done it before with several 308 cases. You can also see this video by Iraqveteran8888 that does the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNDgjcgofY

Edit: My bad I thought you guy wanted to remove primers from a rifle cartridge.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Sport45

No problem. I understand what you were doing now.