The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Heh. In 1902, most farmers in Lavaca County, Texas, raised cotton. My grandfather, then 17, raised hogs and corn, instead. Too much cotton for the market, so the price fell. My grandfather's profits paid for his two years of college.

They didn't know that corn was bad-nasty, in those days. Nor did I know, as I fed chickens from WW II days onward, that cracked corn in hen scratch was evil. Quail, dove, foxes and ravens like cracked corn, although my friendly local fox would demonstrate that he could not digest corn--by leaving evidence on my front porch.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:23 PM   #27
globemaster3

Art, I am going out on a limb and predict Frankenmauser's concerns about corn are GMO-centered. Creating strains that are Round-up ready requires you to imprint Round-up into the DNA. Should you be digesting that stuff?
Old January 25, 2013, 05:57 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What the heck were you watching that had a hydralic wall crushing pigs????
It's an older slaughter method - though, still in use in some places, apparently. (CO2 stunning is far more common now.)
Yesterday, I tried to dig up a link to a video showing the hydraulic compressive asphyxiation I'm talking about, but can't find anything available online.

Quote:
Art, I am going out on a limb and predict Frankenmauser's concerns about corn are GMO-centered. Creating strains that are Round-up ready requires you to imprint Round-up into the DNA. Should you be digesting that stuff?
For the most part, I consider the GMO aspect of commercial corn to be a separate subject (but I dislike it just as much).
My biggest problem with corn is the massive amount of government subsidization that has created a false economy that can't be stopped. It has invaded nearly every part of our food chain, not because it's the best option, but because it's dirt cheap. And it's only cheap, because it's heavily subsidized. Corn is the 800 lb gorilla that rules our food industry, and can't be stopped.

Anyway...
I very much prefer taking care of animals, myself. From their last moments alive, to my dinner plate, I like to see how everything is handled.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:33 PM   #29
globemaster3

Guess that sound was the limb I went out on snapping.

I hear you though! There is some kind of corn variant (syrup, starch, meal) in everything!
Old January 25, 2013, 11:46 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I'd not considered raising rabbits.
Guess that is my next project. Have plenty of scrap wood to make a hutch. Seem to remember them being quite pricey at the pet store.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:06 AM   #31
Keg

Quote:
They're a resource, a very needed resource, and applying human emotions to resources is a bad idea.
Quote:
I guess I'm not of the same make as you guys. I've been to slaughter houses and I've seen how its done. I know a few people who worked at them and two guys who are foremen (sorta) at the ones they work at. Frankly I can say I'm not ashamed of eating beef, pork, chicken or other meats from the grocery store.
Quote:
I've also seen the actual kill - which is quite humane. The most widely used method (or so I was told) was the method I saw in all three slaughter houses - a steel piston is put to the forehead of the cow and it shoots out to strike the head meaning instant unconsciousness and death from trauma to the brain. The cattle feel no pain.
I agree with these statements....I live several miles from a meat processing facility....I am friends of the owner..so I see the total operation....The whole process is very humaine....The owner is an avid hunter....He processes many wild hogs and deer..along with livestock....Hormone free chicken and beef is one thing..but I don't go along with the tree-hugger mentality....
Old January 26, 2013, 06:50 AM   #32
therealdeal

I agree w/this post!

Quote:
This might be a little off topic but, I get irritated by people who eat meat from a grocery store and feel like filling my freezer with venison is barbaric. If they only knew that hunters have much more respect for the game they use than the processing facilities do. Just my two cents.
+1

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 26, 2013, 07:30 AM   #33
jason_iowa

I eat no commercially farmed or packed meat. Partly because factory farming is terrible for the environment. A serving of meat takes nearly 10x the food and water then it takes for a serving of veggies. So having someone starve so I can have a burger is not acceptable to me. The treatment of the animals varies wildly from very well to down right cruel and abusive. I have also thought about doing the bunny and chicken raising to have year round meat but we have so many deer hunters that wont eat their kills its easy to fill a freezer or 2.

Its very time consuming to hunt and fish for your meat or grow veggies for that matter but its so much more satisfying to eat a meal you hunted and gathered for yourself. I do miss bacon and sausage but that stuff is bad for ya anyway lol. I am an awful tree hugging environmentalist but I don't know many hunters who are not. You see fish kills and wild game disappear in an area and you get environmentally conscious in a hurry.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:47 PM   #34
brmfan

Having fun with it!

So this afternoon I took a large cull buck (single long skinny beams and no tines whatsoever) and on the way home I decided to grab a veggie burger and coke from Burger King. Well, they had me pull up and wait as they probably don't get veggie burger orders that often. When the girl came out to deliver my sammich she looks in the back of my truck and sees the gutted deer, then looks at me, and says "Uhhm.... Were YOU the one who ordered the veggie burger?" I said "Yup, sure did" and seeing the confused look on her face I said "I know... It's a long story!"
Old January 26, 2013, 11:47 PM   #35
horatioo

Quote:
globemaster3
The problem with roundup ready corn is that farmers can drench the corn and soil with roundup. Nothing grows but the corn. If for some reason a person wants to grow something but corn, then the ground is ruined.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:29 AM   #36
treg

Quote:
The problem with roundup ready corn is that farmers can drench the corn and soil with roundup. Nothing grows but the corn. If for some reason a person wants to grow something but corn, then the ground is ruined.
Completely false.

Roundup must be applied to growing leaves to have any effect.

Roundup is expensive. All farmers I know use the minimum amount per acre and meter it carefully. High tech (expensive) equipment and advanced (expensive) electronics are used to keep use to a minimum effective level. Here's what i mean by expensive: http://agsystemsonline.com/used-equi...lled-sprayers/

Crops are regularly rotated on fields that have been sprayed with roundup for decades.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:15 AM   #37
Keg

Quote:
Completely false.

Roundup must be applied to growing leaves to have any effect.
Heck..I used to use roundup around the yard...I had to use it every year cause everything would grow back....
Old January 27, 2013, 09:14 PM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ehhh...If it doesn't bite back, I'll eat it. Well, everything except cauliflower. Cauliflower exists only to have a place to put Hollandaise sauce, which also does not appeal to me nearly as much as a chocolate milkshake. Or butter-pecan Ensure Plus, for that matter.

The thing about deer, dove and quail, though, is that I'm basically a natural-food freak. As preference, anyway. So, ethics in the acquisition thereof.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:59 PM   #39
lefteye

Quote:
Or butter-pecan Ensure Plus, for that matter.
Laughing out loud and spit on my screen.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:18 AM   #40
doofus47

I have a bunch of free thinking friends who don't agree or are ambivalent about hunting.
When I drop the line "Nothing is a sure thing, but if I drop an elk I have 300+/- lbs of organic meat in the freezer," they all stop dead. You can just see the light bulb go on.
Annie get your gun.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:18 PM   #41
johnwilliamson062

I took Johns Hopking last "Economics of Obesity" offering on Coursera. DOminated by vegetarians, vegans, and organic only types. In one of the discussions I brought up hunting from the 100 pounds of more or less open range organic meat for less than $50 perspective. It was clear many had not thought of it from that perspective and it caused a lot of thought.

Not that my hunts cost less than $50, but if I only used my muzzle loader and hunted locally it would be well under that. How most of the price concerned hunters I know do it in Ohio.