The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 12, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
? ? ? ?

please help with my remington BP revolver

hello everyone its been a while since i been here. i have a question that i need some help with. i have an 1858 Remington black powder revolver in stainless steel. but i do not like the look of the grip i much prefer the look of a colt grip, now my question is this, will this grip frame fit my gun.. http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?c51.htm&1 the site says it is made for a ruger SAA to make it look like a colt but from what i have seen the ruger SAA already has this style grip. i want to fit this frame to my Remington will it work guys? if not what can i do to make it work? (as in how can i mod this frame to fit and work with my gun?

as an added note if i use my conversion cylinder in this 1858 what kind of factory .45 bullets will it shoot safely, the gun is a .44 BP remi or will i just be only able to shoot cowboy loads?
the reason i dont want to use the cowboy loads is because they are not as strong as a factory load and i want to use them for hunting.

www.huntingclub.com

Last edited by ? ? ? ?; March 12, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Quote:
now my question is this, will this grip frame fit my gun
No. At least,not without boucoup machine work to both your pistol and the grip frame.

Quote:
i want to fit this frame to my Remington will it work guys?
No, It won't work.

The Remington is a one piece frame that includes the BS/TG. Colt style grips & frames are not part of the frame of the gun and wouldn't fit the remington frame without a lot of modification.

Quote:
if not what can i do to make it work? (as in how can i mod this frame to fit and work with my gun?
You'd have to cut the grip frame off the Remington , Trim the replacement grip frame so it would fit on the now buggered upo Remington, then welt the two pieces together. It would require more machine work than it's worth IMHO.

Quote:
as an added note if i use my conversion cylinder in this 1858 what kind of factory .45 bullets will it shoot safely, the gun is a .44 BP remi or will i just be only able to shoot cowboy loads?
Conversion cylinders are restricted to Cowboy loads - says it right on the instruction sheet that comes with em.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 13, 2009, 01:24 AM   #3
olyinaz

>>>the reason i dont want to use the cowboy loads is because they are not as strong as a factory load and i want to use them for hunting<<<

Seems like it would be less trouble to get a nice used pistol if you want to do some hunting with modern cartridge rounds.

Just me talkin'...

Cheers,
Oly
Old March 13, 2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Raider2000

Fingers got it covered on the grip frame so I will not add to that other that reiterate that it will not work, unless you wish to invest in a lot of money &/or work to make them work.

As far as the cartridge loads are concerned, you are only limited to Cowboy Action Loads or equivilent with a lead projectile.
Now saying that, a .45Colt loaded to what the case can handle of FFFG Goex Black Powder "about 35-37gr." with a 250gr. pure lead projectile will produce approximately +/-800fps. which would equal out to 355ft. lbs. which if you was to load pure lead hollow point projectile on top instead will make for a very good close range Deer & Hog load.
You can use smokeless in those cartridges too just as long as you keep the velocities around +/- 800fps..
As long as you keep the pressures down & the range at 30 yards or less you should be fine in this respect of using it as a hunting side arm, shoot there are guys that use them on a normal basis with just cap, powder, & ball to take down Hog.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
olyinaz

>>>shoot there are guys that use them on a normal basis with just cap, powder, & ball to take down Hog<<<

Yep! And although I've not tried it myself I suppose one could load a conical 200/220gr. bullet as well.

Cheers,
Oly