The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2002, 05:35 PM   #1
jawper

Scattergun Tech 1187 – OH MY!

I just got back from an initial break in session with my brand new K-9 (Remmington 1187 worked over in various ways). I am mostly a pistol guy. I have, in my life, put perhaps 3 dozen rounds through various shotguns. I am as far from an experienced shotgun hand as you can get.

I ran four brands of 2 3/4 OO buck through the gun. Targets were ½ sized silhouettes with minimal markings (like “Q” targets rather than B-27s). The Federal Tactical Buckshot and Estate SWAT loads were noticeably more accurate than the S&B 12 pellet load and the Brenneke. All of them, however, we very controllable and surprisingly accurate. Shooting five round strings at 30 feet as fast as I could get sight picture, EVERY pellet from the Federal and Estate loads stayed in the upper chest of the target. With the S&B and Brenneke loads, I tossed one or two pellets from the five rounds just outside the chest area. Turning off the lights, illuminating the target with the Surefire front end prior to pressing the trigger seemed to add minimal time.

I was totally blown away by the smooth operation and manageable recoil of the K-9. Where have these scatterguns been all my life!?!
Old August 9, 2002, 08:34 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Decent guns. I like a slide for manip, but I especially like the self-loader in prone and braced kneeling. One handed drills are easier too! (There I go again).

How's the trigger on that one? A good trigger really helps with slugs.
Old August 9, 2002, 09:49 PM   #3
jawper

Erick – Excuse me. Your terminology is absolutely correct. A tighter pattern is in fact what I was noticing.

KSFreeman – The trigger is remarkably clean and pretty crisp. There was no noticeable slack or slop. It would seem to lend itself to precision shooting of slugs. Slug loads are next on my list to test.
Old August 11, 2002, 02:08 PM   #4
Mannlicher

sounds like a really nice shotgun jawper.

"Turning off the lights, illuminating the target with the Surefire front end prior to pressing the trigger seemed to add minimal time. "

A light on my shotgun, telling every one exactly where to aim, is not for me though.

I have just GOT to get one of those new fangled auto shotguns some day.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 11, 2002, 11:30 PM   #5
Bruce626

Lights giving your position away?

I'm kinda new here and have never had the occasion to fire my shotgun in the dark at anybody... so I'm wondering about the pro's and con's of:

Quote:
A light on my shotgun, telling every one exactly where to aim, is not for me though.
For sure, once you shoot, only the blindest, deafest bad guy will be wondering where you are. So, if you briefly flash the light to properly ID the target and then fire and move, would that work?

I just like the idea that when things go bump in the night and I reach under my bed for my shotgun, everything is there in one piece ... gun, extra ammo in sidesaddles, and the gun-mounted light... all together with no fumbling around looking for stuff.
Old August 12, 2002, 06:57 PM   #6
9mmMike

I would imagine that the concern is not about the BG you shoot but the second (or third) one that you do not.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old August 12, 2002, 07:19 PM   #7
biere

Lots of places have a tactics area, so I will not get into human to human problems involving lights and lasers and what not.

I live in the sticks, and have some wild dog, feral cat, coon, opossum, and tyranosaurus problems out here.

A light to see what upset mutt is required unless you want to flood light the house, barn, and surrounding areas.

So for most night stuff a handgun in one hand and a flashlight in the other works for now. If near my home, I can light up the surrounding area but this generally scares whatever off to the dark until lights go off.

I am slowly getting to the point where a light mount on my 590 would make life so simpler by sending more lead downrange, allowing me to light and aim with all eyes working together, and save me from walking out only to discover the flashlight bulb went out.

However, my point shooting is improving as I track pest with flashlight and follow with handgun.

And I have a lot of backstops around my place, so I always wait in case I miss. Though my point shooting is improving, I do not trust it beyond a certain back stop size.

I have some scattergun catalogs, and those are my "eventually" shotguns.

Right now I am so close to getting a fabarms/hk semi-auto 12 gauge and some sort of light on it I can smell the powder and see the shells in the air as another round goes downrange.

Sort of off topic, but a light on a gun has some definate points. And if lighting anyway, I expect to draw fire, unless the target is not a two legged problem.
Old August 12, 2002, 08:43 PM   #8
9mmMike

I have no preference one way or the other about lights. I was just trying to give Bruce another perspective.

Now....
What was the distance at which you were shooting, jawper. (note the "," in there )

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 7, 2002, 11:58 AM   #9
buzz_knox

Thought I'd resurrect a buried thread for a brief comment. I had the opportunity to meet jawper at a LFI II class lat week and he was kind enough to let me try out his 1187P (not surprising considering he's one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting in sometime). To quote the International Man of Mystery "YEAH, BABY!" That's for the shotgun, not jawper, in case you were wondering.

If you don't have one, get it. With full loads, it feels like a M1A but nicer. And more fun.

This trip was a disaster for my bank account. I got to try the 1187P, a P7M13, and a TRS. All will eventually be mine. Well, so much for buying a house.