The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2012, 11:07 PM   #26
Shotgun693

I've never seen any shooting competition, using a handgun that came anywhere close to a real shooting. SASS is as good as any of'm for training a person to shoot under pressure.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:04 AM   #27
mykeal

IDPA
Old March 11, 2012, 07:57 AM   #28
FL-Flinter

Quote:
True, but do you think you'd never miss on these targets if shooting at top speed?
If you're shooting "fast" and not hitting anything, what's the point? Speed comes with practice, hits don't come with speed.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #29
Hawg

Quote:
If you're shooting "fast" and not hitting anything, what's the point? Speed comes with practice, hits don't come with speed.
It's not just speed, you have to hit the targets in the correct order and if you think that even the very best can't miss you're wrong.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:04 PM   #30
FL-Flinter

I didn't say one "can't miss" ... I said, "there's no point in shooting fast if you can't hit" because then it's nothing more than "spray & pray". What seems to be the miscommunication?
Old March 11, 2012, 07:42 PM   #31
rclark

I think the you-tube videos really do a 'dis-service' to SASS. When I think of SASS, I think of my .45 Colt revolvers and how I load them and use them. Then you go watch the videos and see 'em shoot 'puff' loads where the barrel barely rises.... In rifle too. Might as well shoot bb guns...That is a turn off to me.... and I wonder to how many others? Yes, I know it takes skill. Shoot, when I add speed to my shooting, no longer am I hitting as often! That said, I do understand though there are other categories you can shoot the more authentic fire power where 'good' blackpowder loads are required (something they call frontier?) .... So those who wish to, can. Just the videos give a 'mis-conception' of what is really offered through SASS... All I am saying!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Shotgun693

IMO, the only real problem with SASS is that the Gamers insist on having an overall winner. If they'd just go with winners in each category a lot of the powder puff stuff would go away. I will, however, continue to shoot SASS if and until something better shows up locally.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #33
rodent.22

yeah my experience in SASS was not good. If you weren't competitive you weren't crap. Being exposed to that kind of herd clique mentality turned me off. I'm sure it was me, expecting people to shoot real loads on an equal footing. The puff loads that you can reach out and catch with your hand were NOT in the ''spirit of the game''. I started to try a new club but realized I'd still be shooting around the old bunch during matches so I gave it up....still got a full complement of guns and equipment though.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:03 PM   #34
SG29736

"I didn't say one "can't miss" ... I said, "there's no point in shooting fast if you can't hit" because then it's nothing more than "spray & pray". What seems to be the miscommunication?"

The miscommunication comes when it's pointed out that a person shooting an entire match of big and close targets, at top speed, will probably have a miss or two. Even a good shooter. We're talking 1 or 2 misses, maybe. You then comment about someone "shooting fast and not hitting anything", as opposed to someone shooting fast and having 1 or 2 misses in a match.

Of course, there's not much point to someone shooting fast that can't hit any targets. But someone shooting at top speed, even on big and close targets, and hitting nearly every one, through an entire match, isn't "spraying and praying". Mark
Old March 11, 2012, 11:52 PM   #35
Shotgun693

There is no handgun shooting game that comes close to copying real life. I've been in some gunfights and while you might train for'm you can't have a competition based on'm. No one would want to fire 3 rounds and go do paperwork for three hours. 'Die Hard' was a movie. CAS is good sport and fun and teaches you how to shoot under a little stress, that's about all you can hope for with any shooting game.
Old March 12, 2012, 06:39 AM   #36
FL-Flinter

SG29736,

The original quote I commented on is:

Quote:
It's all about speed and if you think it's easy hitting a 16 inch steel plate from seven yards firing as fast as you can then you need to try it and see how slow/bad you really are.
Point being "...firing as fast as you can..." Fine and dandy, if you can hit what you're shooting at.

Seriously dude, you all chafed from your chaps or what
Old March 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #37
SG29736

I'm not saying that shooting big and close targets and hitting them at top speed is the greatest shooting accomplishment in the world. But we are talking about people who do it and "hit" the targets. You keep referencing people shooting fast and not hitting anything, spraying and praying. If you are hitting the targets, you're not shooting spray and pray style. No chafing here. I was out shooting an ICORE match yesterday. IDPA, next week. Back hurt alittle though. I shoot blackpowder 44-40 and 44 Russian loads when I shoot cowboy. Mark